Finally settled my Droid X vs Fascinate decison!

Freezetron

Reaction score
Finally settled my Droid X vs Fascinate decision!

To keep from reposting unecassary text, I'll link my intro greeting about me.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ne...ite-assistance/95344-i-must-outa-my-mind.html

I also this morning had an INCREDIBLE experience with a VZW rep about the new unlimited dataplans that I found about last night after I joined the forum.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/95195-new-unlimited-plan-big-red-24.html

Suffice to say, I was down to the big 2 for my very first smartphone. The Motorola Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate and it was driving the OCD in me bat ass crazy to the point I was up till 2 A.M last night looking reviews and comparison of the phones and watching youtube vids over and over. I had to call in "sick" today for work as a result. dancedroid

I just got back from the VZW store and luckily they had a working Fasincate right next to a Droid X. After spending about half and our playing with them, even a noob smartphone user like me found some differences that made me decide to go with the Droid X vs the Fascinate:

1. Screen. Yes the Fascinate does have a big and VERY bold screen. The colors and brightness just literally pop out in front of you in comparison to the droid. For me however, the size difference between 4" and 4.3" was pretty large as I could easily navigate and text much easier on the Droid X vs the Fasc, which is a big deal for me cause im texting alot more. The larger screen also helps viewing webpages. Droid X wins here for me.

I was also very surprised when web surfing on CNN via both of them, that the Fascinates screen shows the whites as a very "bluish" tinge all around vs the Droid X is a very pure and sharp and bright "white" I honestly couldn't believe the Fascinate had such great colors but the white just look so... blue! The grays and silvers also were a big difference as a result in comparison to the Droid X, its like im looking through a layer of water or something on the Fascinate and I dont' like it, at all. The extra .3'' on the Droid X screen really draws me into it and makes it easier to fiddle around and learn for me. Droid X wins again.

Search engine. Bingo blows hard on Fascinate, Google rules on Droid X. Yeah, I heard you can somehow disable/remove Bing on the Fascinate but I don't really wanna deal with it and I may or may not get into the rooting of the phone. Layout of the google search vs the Bingo is also night and day IMO. Droid X wins again

Interface. I dunno the technical names between the different Android skins or whatever on these phones but I much preffered the simpler and "mature" look of the Droid X's menu system vs the Iphone, cartoonish GUI of the Fascinate. Droid X once again IMO.

Look and feel Alot people are gushing and ooohing about the slick, smooth and rounded nature of the Fascinate vs the "harsher" and edgier look of the Droid X. Must be me and my masculinity and my hate for all Apple products, but the Fascinate felt like some kinda glossy vibrater in my hand, everything was slick and glossy! The looks Fascinate says "girly, soft and gentle for everyday use" and the Doid X says ** The aluminum, soft textured feel of the Droid X gives it a more robust, "solid" build quality feeling to it. Fascinate just feels like every other damn plastic, china made electronic product out there. Droid X calls to me again.

I could go on, but those were the big things that really stood out to me comparing these phones. Again, this is coming from someone who has NEVER had a smartphone and up until two weeks ago, poo pooed the very idea of owning, using and paying for a smartphone. It wasn't until I really sat down *or stand up in the VZW store anyway* and played with them did I find really what these suckers are all about. I quickly learned that I hated the Windows based smartphones right off the bat, the Android Google OS is just better all around to a first time smartphone owner like me and this is coming from someone who is basically a Microsoft fan for both personal and proffessional needs.

Hope this helps others in their decision process. Bottom line, technology is just getting freaking incredible in the last 11 year since I graduated HS. I can't imagine what the next 10 years are gonna be bring! Its awesome time to be a young nerd in todays modern society!

Last edited:

Nickdroid2.2

Reaction score
THANK YOU! I have been debating the exact same thing and I think off of your review that I too will go with the DX. My upgrade is this month but I think I will hold off for the black friday sales. Lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
awesome job with the review, but i know for a fact there's gonna be threads popping up about this still....

BachinPhx

Reaction score
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the equation after you have cogitated this long and hard, why did you not also consider the Incredible in your choices. Just a thought. :)

BachinPhx

Reaction score
Or even better, wait a little while longer as there will surely be a couple new awesome choices coming to us. Unless you have to have it now!!

xmguy

Reaction score
I just know with my Droid. I'm a active outdoor kinda guy. I see my phone taking a bit more abuse then the all glass mamby pamby i-phone. The Droid like (by motorola) just screams "Go ahead throw me in the dirt" I'll still work.

R

RETG

1 and 4 represent how I felt when comparing the phones next to each other. However, for 4. I would say I just felt the Fascinate felt really cheap compared to the X. Had no thoughts about it being girly or the X being related to an anatomical part of my body. (I leave that for my full size handgun on my right sidedancedroid, which honestly, draws more attention on a hot day, with no coat, than any phone I would be carrying.)

As for 2, I might be the only person on this, or other Android forums, that likes Bing. In fact, prefers it to Google. But search engines are as personal as trucks, guns and beer.

As for 3, either one seemed ok for me, but either one would probably be replaced with one of the ones available via the market place after a day or two.

About a month from now, I will be ordering the X.

By the way, the write up was excellent.

aristo1963

Reaction score
I like your review,it is an honest opinion. As for the color issue
You are spot on. Samsung is using oversaturation to give the
Perception of vibrance, this is a trick that nvidia has used for
Years. While it makes for a pretty screen,it will cause certain colors
to be very off in appearance. Again good job.

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the equation after you have cogitated this long and hard, why did you not also consider the Incredible in your choices. Just a thought. :)

Droid X has the bigger screen. Nuff said.

Or even better, wait a little while longer as there will surely be a couple new awesome choices coming to us. Unless you have to have it now!!

To late, its already enroute to me via overnight Fedex. I got the deal of a lifetime today after I called up about the new unlimited plan thats been floating the last day. The VZW rep did the following for me:

1. VZW rep got permission from his superior to upgrade my phone/service 2 weeks ahead of local VZW store and 1 week earlier then even Costco! Total freaking awesome!!! I hate waiting for my tech goodies!

2. He credited my current data and text usage on my next bill since im doing an upgrade all around!

3. Gave me free overnight shipping on the Droid X!

4. Allowed me to pay for my phone and accessories via bill since I am a long time customer and my bill payment history has been excellent.

5. Immediately gave me my $30 upgrade credit to my next bill . I remember when it used to be $100 for "basic" phones, guess times have changed.

6. Basically gave me 50% off on a antiglare screen protector and hardcase w/ stand for Droid X and will extend offer for car charger if I find I need it later.

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseForm?OSPEUT_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthE

You really think I was gonna wait any longer???

Last edited:

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
VERY cool discussion! I'm happy with my current "trio" of Droids, but it's always good to hear about the other newer phones. Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts.

-Mike

ronghe321

Reaction score
THANK YOU! I have been debating the exact same thing and I think off of your review that I too will go with the DX. My upgrade is this month but I think I will hold off for the black friday sales. Lol 1 and 4 represent how I felt when comparing the phones next to each other. However, for 4. I would say I just felt the Fascinate felt really cheap compared to the X. Had no thoughts about it being girly or the X being related to an anatomical part of my body. (I leave that for my full size handgun on my right side, which honestly, draws more attention on a hot day, with no coat, than any phone I would be carrying.)

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Plus, how could you not like a phone with this awesome of a commercial? dancedroid

[video=youtube;tiaRAcpIJmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiaRAcpIJmw[/video]