Droid X Bootloader Confirmed to be Encrypted

TreyDaPrince

Reaction score
i'd say get the X and hang on to it for the 30 days. There will be a lot of devs scrambling to decrypt it.

The Droid X was to be my first Android phone, I'm using a 2-year-old HTC Touch Pro. The last thing I want to do at this point is start falling in love with Android, then have to go back to my Touch Pro. Hrmph. Is there a release date for Verizon's Samsung phone?

What samsung phone? The Droid X will also be my first android. I've been a WinMo phone and now recently a BB user. I will get the Droid X and the next newest one when it comes out. That's why i'm asking "what Samsung" ....

Its the Samsung Fascinate. The Galaxy S has already been rooted and Samsung already sent XDA the open source code.

RohanRider762

Reaction score
I have faith all the wonderful devs who delicate their time to coding/rooting/cracking and so forth will come out on top. My one year contract on my Droid goes up in a few weeks and can't wait to get my hands on the X...

dangerous

Reaction score
The Droid X was to be my first Android phone, I'm using a 2-year-old HTC Touch Pro. The last thing I want to do at this point is start falling in love with Android, then have to go back to my Touch Pro. Hrmph. Is there a release date for Verizon's Samsung phone?

What samsung phone? The Droid X will also be my first android. I've been a WinMo phone and now recently a BB user. I will get the Droid X and the next newest one when it comes out. That's why i'm asking "what Samsung" ....

Its the Samsung Fascinate. The Galaxy S has already been rooted and Samsung already sent XDA the open source code.

That phone looks cool too. Thanks for the info. I have 2 upgradeable lines so i can have them both...

FrostMan

Reaction score
Hmm, well now I am considering the Galaxy S, or whatever it's named on VZW.

Better GPU, also 1Ghz processor (Not Snapdragon crap), nice screen, and from my understanding, rootable without a locked bootloader. :)

darreno1

Reaction score
I'll be happy with just root but even if that isn't possible, it won't mean the end of the world. As much as I love to install roms and mess with my droid, at the end of the day email, navigation and web browsing are my main uses for it. So I'll be perfectly content with the stock droid x.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Guys, a locked down bootloader does NOT mean it cannot be rooted. What a locked down bootloader. Each official ROM from Motorola/Google/Verizon has a secret "code" on it. The locked down bootloader will only accept roms with these "codes". It does NOT mean that it cannot get root access.

Yes but one of the reasons you root is for custom roms.

I feel better about my decision not to get the droid x.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Guys, a locked down bootloader does NOT mean it cannot be rooted. What a locked down bootloader. Each official ROM from Motorola/Google/Verizon has a secret "code" on it. The locked down bootloader will only accept roms with these "codes". It does NOT mean that it cannot get root access.

Yes but one of the reasons you root is for custom roms.

I feel better about my decision not to get the droid x.

Personally I don't really care about custom roms...I'll just adb pull and theme my phone myself...that's the biggest reason why I run roms.

Reaction score
Personally I don't really care about custom roms...I'll just adb pull and theme my phone myself...that's the biggest reason why I run roms.
Thats what I'm thinking. If I can overclock it and theme it, I would be happy. I might miss a few things from the ROM's, but there's no ROM that can add HDMI out and a 4.3 inch screen to my Droid1 :).

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hrm. Motorola...stop bowing down to Verizon and trying hard to prevent root & custom ROMs :(
It is not Verizon's doing. If that was the case then why are the Milestone and Backflip also encrypted? One is AT&T and the other is in Europe :icon_eek:
Hmm, if true, Droid X will officially fall out of my radar until bootloader is cracked.
Then you may want to drop all Motos off of your radar. Unfortunately it seems like they are all starting to lock them down. Look how much trouble Incredible users have been through to get it fully rooted and unlocked.

Womp

Reaction score
I don't care about custom ROMS or theming, I just want access to rooted apps such as WiFi Tether, Root Explorer, AdFree etc. If I will eventually be able to run these on my Droid X then I'm good as gold.

yurdle

Reaction score
They will figure something out.. no doubt it will be or has been rooted.. but the roms is another question...

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Hrm. Motorola...stop bowing down to Verizon and trying hard to prevent root & custom ROMs :(
It is not Verizon's doing. If that was the case then why are the Milestone and Backflip also encrypted? One is AT&T and the other is in Europe :icon_eek:

If you bow down to the cell providers (who want no root and no custom ROMs so they can charge extra for tethering/wifi sharing and to advertise) then you bow down to the cell providers. Maybe Verizon did or did not push the hardest for it, who knows, either way Motorola is really TRYING in a way HTC is not. The X looks to take longer just to get root than the Incredible did to get custom ROMs, and the Milestone still doesn't have a cracked bootloader AFAIK.

Historically speaking, HTC phones have always been easy to unlock.