Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all this discussion is about as moot a discussion as possible because verizon is not going to change their policies. That being said ill humor you. This is NOT akin to being told you have to use windows 7...are you kidding me? This is them saying you can't use a hacked phone on their network without voiding your warranty or violating your tos. What's unfathomable is you arguing that you have a right to break their TOS and they have no right to enforce it...this thread iis becoming a joke now

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

crazyjoker2

Reaction score
Having Moto give options for different themes for a new cool look would subside the want to change the device for the most part imo. The more visually appealing my phone is the less I want to modify it and just use it.

Mule65

Reaction score
Having Moto give options for different themes for a new cool look would subside the want to change the device for the most part imo. The more visually appealing my phone is the less I want to modify it and just use it.

There are already home launchers, wallpapers, widgets and apps that allow you to customize. You can make whatever you want using the new tools without root access and without being a Java Programmer.

This thread, and a few others, are spreading misinformation and should be closed.

erikfig

Reaction score
meh, i think its fine if motorola/verizon implements something like this. i for one think they have a right too...i mean you are clearly knowing that your voiding your warranty and going against their TOS by rooting, modding, customizing and tethering and yet you do it. and then you try to justify it by saying its not stealing or its my phone or blah blah blah. you're right it's not stealing, and you're right it's your phone, but it's also their network and their service, and they can do whatever they want with it.

you agree to a TOS for a reason. if you purposely break that TOS, then you should expect some kind of consequence. i don't get why you can do whatever you want, but Motorola/Verizon is not allowed? someone mentioned entitlement earlier and I tend to agree. i've rooted my droid and i've ROM-ed it plenty of times and overclock it. If my phone bricks, I'm not going to go and argue with verizon and act like they did something wrong or blame them for what i did.

does the whole situation suck if it's true? Sure. but is it an "OMG, they are worse than APPLE and I am switching to sprint!!!!!" type of situation? Hardly. no matter how much you dont like it, you're using their network, you're using a phone (which Motorola does not want you to modify) and you agree to the TOS before you are given access to their network. simple as that. complaining is going to get you nowhere. trust me.

What the heck did you smoke???? Lol!!!!!!!!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
obviously nothing close to what you smoke...

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
My GF got an X today, and after showing her the ins and outs of the Android OS I can pretty much say that in my opinion, there isn't much a reason to root this phone as of yet. Sure, I love to tinker as much as the next guy; but if it isn't broke, don't fix it, right? Straight outta the box her phone is quicker than mine (even though I'm overclocked to 1Ghz, and shes stock 1Ghz; and her phone gets way better battery time than mine. I'm all for having the guts of an electronic device exposed to the masses. In a perfect world, everything would be open source, developed by a community, and freely available to the masses. But fellas, thats just not how it is. Come hook or crook though, someone will crack this phone, in due time. Have we seen a widely popular phone that hasn't been cracked in one way or the other? I remember when the razor first came out, people where unlocking them so they could use full Mp3s instead of chopped down and reformated mp3 files for their ringtones. Right now, other than custom-clocking the CPU, and being able to customize a few things like the notification bar, and being able to remove stock apps; their really isn't much a reason (beyond those gigantic reasons IMO) to root one of these new phones.

Do this for me, find someone who has one of these phones, and sit down with it for a few minutes. I'm sure you'll see that this thing simply smokes all, right of the box...just plain old stock.

B-Unit

Reaction score
meh, i think its fine if motorola/verizon implements something like this. i for one think they have a right too...i mean you are clearly knowing that your voiding your warranty and going against their TOS by rooting, modding, customizing and tethering and yet you do it. and then you try to justify it by saying its not stealing or its my phone or blah blah blah. you're right it's not stealing, and you're right it's your phone, but it's also their network and their service, and they can do whatever they want with it.

you agree to a TOS for a reason. if you purposely break that TOS, then you should expect some kind of consequence. i don't get why you can do whatever you want, but Motorola/Verizon is not allowed? someone mentioned entitlement earlier and I tend to agree. i've rooted my droid and i've ROM-ed it plenty of times and overclock it. If my phone bricks, I'm not going to go and argue with verizon and act like they did something wrong or blame them for what i did.

does the whole situation suck if it's true? Sure. but is it an "OMG, they are worse than APPLE and I am switching to sprint!!!!!" type of situation? Hardly. no matter how much you dont like it, you're using their network, you're using a phone (which Motorola does not want you to modify) and you agree to the TOS before you are given access to their network. simple as that. complaining is going to get you nowhere. trust me.

The terms of service is a contract between you and the cellular provider regarding the use of their network. The device is YOURS as in you own it, you should be able to do what the hell you want with it. So long as when you use the device on the carriers network it doesn't violate their TOS. They are completely separate. The fact that Motorola is in one fell swoop destroying an entire segment of the Android community that has backed the most popular Android handset to date, the Motorola Droid, is unfathomable. Motorola deserves nothing less that an OTA to go out with a bad signature and have EVERY Droid X turned into a paperweight at the same time.

by rooting it and then using it on their network you're violating their TOS. I don't see how you can argue that you're not. if they wanted you to root it they'd let you. if it wasn't a violation of their TOS you wouldn't void your warranty by doing it. makes no sense that you're arguing that rooting it and then using verizon's network is not a TOS violation because "it's my phone and i can do what i want!"...sure you can. if you want to do it and not have service. feel free to take your phone apart and attach rocket packs to it, but dont expect verizon to sign you up for service.

your argument is great for a laugh, but really holds no substance. verizon can tell you what to do with your phone because you're using their service. it's like you taking the car that you own to a racetrack and then complaining that you can't do donuts on the grass. you simply cannot do things on someone else's property (see network) if they don't want you to. if you want to take your car to a deserted road and do donuts, feel free, the racetrack is not going to and cant stop you. simple as that.

Where in the TOS does it say your not allowed to have root access of your Android phone? I certainly never saw that part. Also, your analogy sucks. Yes, the race track can tell me I cant cut cookies on the grass, but they cant tell me what kind of gas to use, what accessories I can put on the car, or what color Im allowed to paint it.

Its not Verizon, its Motoroloa that is locking devices. If Verizon cared, all new HTC and Samsung sets would be locked down too. And the last I checked the Milestone was not a Verizon phone, but guess what? Encrypted bootloader.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said...you can root your phone you can put rocket packs on it you can paint it green and you can smash it into a million pieces. But if verizon says you can't tether...then you can't tether. What are you arguing really? You want verizon to allow you to do something they don't want you to do just because its your phone. What are you 11 yrs old? They can tell you what to do and you have to do it. This thread much like your post is useless. The racetrack can't tell you what gas to put in but they sure as hell can stop you from using that gas on their racetrack. And...you can't do crap about it. Sucks, huh?

thurilok

Reaction score
Which is exactly my issue

The terms of service is a contract between you and the cellular provider regarding the use of their network. The device is YOURS as in you own it, you should be able to do what the hell you want with it. So long as when you use the device on the carriers network it doesn't violate their TOS. They are completely separate. The fact that Motorola is in one fell swoop destroying an entire segment of the Android community that has backed the most popular Android handset to date, the Motorola Droid, is unfathomable. Motorola deserves nothing less that an OTA to go out with a bad signature and have EVERY Droid X turned into a paperweight at the same time.

by rooting it and then using it on their network you're violating their TOS. I don't see how you can argue that you're not. if they wanted you to root it they'd let you. if it wasn't a violation of their TOS you wouldn't void your warranty by doing it. makes no sense that you're arguing that rooting it and then using verizon's network is not a TOS violation because "it's my phone and i can do what i want!"...sure you can. if you want to do it and not have service. feel free to take your phone apart and attach rocket packs to it, but dont expect verizon to sign you up for service.

your argument is great for a laugh, but really holds no substance. verizon can tell you what to do with your phone because you're using their service. it's like you taking the car that you own to a racetrack and then complaining that you can't do donuts on the grass. you simply cannot do things on someone else's property (see network) if they don't want you to. if you want to take your car to a deserted road and do donuts, feel free, the racetrack is not going to and cant stop you. simple as that.

My wifi is NOT their network, yet I won't be able to run my own software on my own network (see: verizon strong arming skype into disabling wifi). This is no different than when Sony decided to install rootkits on their laptops and destroyed their marketshare.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

My wifi is NOT their network, yet I won't be able to run my own software on my own network (see: verizon strong arming skype into disabling wifi). This is no different than when Sony decided to install rootkits on their laptops and destroyed their marketshare.

hey do me a favor...when you figure out how to get on YOUR network with wifi on your droid, without having a contract with verizon, please tell me, i'd be dying to know how to get completely free cell service.

or better yet, why dont you just cancel your verizon contract and use your wifi for free unlimited calls? let me know if that works.

i'll wait.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Has anyone even seen a bricked phone because of EFuse? Not yet :D Its original intent is to "trip fuses" when there is too much load, allowing chips to reprogram themselves to take up the slack, I.E. share the load. It works like this:

Lets say there are four "fuses" (chips)
All four are taking their fair share of the process load.
One starts to lag behind the others, or starts to take on more than it can handle.
The three functional "fuses" take the load off the fourth "faulty" fuse.
The "faulty" fuse trips, and gets reprogrammed.
Then the load is passed back out evenly.

This is the way that its originally intended to work. There is no evidence to support, other than rumors and hearsay, that this is somehow meant to cause a bricked phone if the core components are tampered with.

I've also read that people think its there to stop the thing that allows for tethering without verizon's permission. (That would be rooting a phone, of course) A means to an end, if you will. I understand that verizon wants to make $ off of you everyway that they can...they are a soulless heartless corporate entity, and would probably shoot lightening out of their handsets killing all their customers if it meant a bigger profit margin in the long run. Come on though, seriously, just to keep people from tethering? There are FAR easier ways to prevent third party tethering. 1, sniffing the network traffic; 2, monitoring network up/down bandwidth consumption; 3, installing code in the OS to detect network sharing. These are just to name a few.

I know the milestone is a touch cookie to crack, I know, I know; but that doesn't mean its impossible. It seems what people think would blow a fuse in the phone and brick it is the OS detect a third party bootloader. Emulation would solve that, in one fell swoop.

Everyone just simmer down. Its been out 1....just 1 day. There are some very smart people pouring over this thing. Give it time, and cool down. :D

In the mean time, if your lucky enough to have one of these things, enjoy something that is blazing fast right out of the box. No flashing required.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

hey do me a favor...when you figure out how to get on YOUR network with wifi on your droid, without having a contract with verizon, please tell me, i'd be dying to know how to get completely free cell service.

or better yet, why dont you just cancel your verizon contract and use your wifi for free unlimited calls? let me know if that works.

i'll wait.

you can stop waiting...free calls using google voice...which happens to be available to the masses now... o_O

This thread turned into a flame thread pretty quickly...