Reaction score
Usage Update

Phone has been unplugged for 2 hours 9 minutes 53 seconds

70% battery left

Display 39%
Cell Standby 37%
Phone Idle 22%
Android System 2%

Those percentages are about what I usually see, but I would be at 90% or so.

How is your cell signal in your area? I have noticed that when I have a weak 3G signal or no signal at all, Cell Standby will be the main culprit in my battery usage stats. Once my phone only lasted 4 hours when I was in a dead zone.

Last edited:
OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
Update:

1-12-11
6:20 am – unplugged from wall
6:24 am – Self rebooted
7:50 am – Self rebooted
9:00 am – 80% batt (1 call for7 min)

As for signal strength, I have 3 of 4 bars showing with the phone sitting on my desk at work.

Under Battery Manager, I have:

1 hour 33 min 14 sec since unplugged
(Very odd, phone was unplugged at 620 am, it is currently 923 am)

Andoid OS 77%
Voice Calls 12%
Display 3%
Phone Idle 2%
Andorid System 2%
Cell Standby 2%

alboboy10

Reaction score
Lol the people at the store are dumb. The girl that helped me said the same thing. Her phone had 30 widgets and everything possible on plus full blast brightness. And she was complaining about getting eight hours of use.

jbcant

Reaction score
I have found that live wallpaper can drain the battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
I only have a static wallpaper displayed. I looked at live wallpaper initially, but never added anything after the Verizon initiated wipe/master reset of the phone.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Update:

Under Battery Manager, I have:

1 hour 33 min 14 sec since unplugged
(Very odd, phone was unplugged at 620 am, it is currently 923 am)

Andoid OS 77%
Voice Calls 12%
Display 3%
Phone Idle 2%
Andorid System 2%
Cell Standby 2%

The stats do not last through a reboot.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I only have a static wallpaper displayed. I looked at live wallpaper initially, but never added anything after the Verizon initiated wipe/master reset of the phone.

I have used a live wallpaper since day one. It has never had significant impact on battery life. 3-5% in battery manager at the most.

Updated stats from battery manager?

That Android OS at 77% has me just a bit concerned (but it was only for 1 hr 33 min).

Rocko

Reaction score
I have the Motorola extended battery. Right now I have 60 hours since unplugged and I am at 50% power. It took a few cycles but now the ext. battery is really shining. I don't use the phone a lot like others but at this rate I expect to get close to 72+ hours per charge. I got 48-52 hours with the same usage on the stock battery.

Tips for longer battery life.

1) Display-turn it down to the absolute lowest setting you can stand. Also, instead of letting your phone time out the screeen, hit the power button and turn it off as you set your phone down.
2)Turn off wifi, gps, syncing when not using it.
3) Put your phone into nighttime saver mode.

These alone will help more than any other tip. Don't use battery saving programs or taskkillers-waste.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
Being that this is my first Droid, I was not aware that the stats did not last through a reboot - thanks for the update

Updated stats as of 1:00 pm
5h 11m 5s since unplugged

Android OS 88%
Voice Calls 4%
Display 3%
Phone Idle 2%
Cell Standby 2%
Android System 2%

Rocko

Reaction score
Being that this is my first Droid, I was not aware that the stats did not last through a reboot - thanks for the update

I didn't realize this either. When you power off your phone it resets the 'since last unplugged' timer.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
It seems odd to me that your Android OS it taking the most percentage. Mine usually only uses about 5% or less. My highest use comes from the Display or the Phone, at around 40% or so. I typically see about 16+ hours out of my phone with moderate usage. Though, I do have a Droid (original), so some of my experience may not be comparable.

I only posted to mention the Android OS is taking up an unusual (to me) percentage of your battery.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
I have the Motorola extended battery. Right now I have 60 hours since unplugged and I am at 50% power. It took a few cycles but now the ext. battery is really shining. I don't use the phone a lot like others but at this rate I expect to get close to 72+ hours per charge. I got 48-52 hours with the same usage on the stock battery.

Tips for longer battery life.

1) Display-turn it down to the absolute lowest setting you can stand. Also, instead of letting your phone time out the screeen, hit the power button and turn it off as you set your phone down.
2)Turn off wifi, gps, syncing when not using it.
3) Put your phone into nighttime saver mode.

These alone will help more than any other tip. Don't use battery saving programs or taskkillers-waste.

I have made all of these adjustments on 1-7-11 after it died from Verizon's master reset. I have disabled everything on the phone. At this point, the phone is being used like a basic bar phone. It will only sync email when I check it, and everything that I can turn off is off.

I initially downloaded a few apps, and have since uninstalled all of them, except Angry Birds.

I plan on going back to Verizon tomorrow and taking my list (see first post), and see what they have to say.

Rocko

Reaction score
Algeron, this is from a different forum, but looks like it may help. Try this and let us know.

Greetings! I searched this forum for a similar issue, but I don't think any of them compare to what I was experiencing. Sorry for the long post, I am writing this in case anyone has a similar problem, and hopefully this solution will work for you.

My X recently (within the last week) started having extremely poor battery performance under the same usage conditions as the previous week (K-9 syncs every 15 min, maybe 2 texts per hour, 2-3 emails per hour, maybe 5 total minutes of phone use). After 4 hours, the battery would be at 20-30%

To make matters worse, most functions were extremely slow to respond (contact loading, test message loading, recent calls, bookmarks, any scrolling was choppy, etc.) The delay when trying the most basic things (opening the browser, making a call) was getting unbearable.

I started backtracking the changes in the last week. Although I started tinkering with Google's App Inventor over three weeks ago, that's where I focused. I uninstalled all App Inventor programs, including the Eyes-Free Text to Speech engine. This engine was recommended by Google to do things like read text messages in the Apps you create.

Still no luck.

I decided to investigate the battery use a little more. In Battery Manager, I found that "Android System" was using about 70% of my battery. I was typically used to seeing things like "display" at the top.

I have an app called Android System Info. This showed my CPU usage pegged at 100% (even after a reboot). It never got lower than 99%. The biggest CPU hog was "Android System" at 75-80%, consistently.

This App has a tab to view the log, and I noticed several recurring error messages in the log.
They were occurring at the rate of about 180 times per second! The error? "Invalid TTS Engine" Well, the TTS is controlled by the "Android System". The "Android System" was constantly trying to load the uninstalled TTS engine.

I went into "Settings...Voice input and output", and, although the Eyes Free TTS engine wasn't available, the default TTS was not set. I checked the box to have the native TTS as the default, and checked the box for "Always use my settings".

Everything immediately went back to normal. CPU usage is now around 10-20%, and "Display" is back at the top of my battery hogging functions.

Battery life is back to over 10 hours, and the delays are gone.

OP
A

Algeron

Reaction score
I checked the TTS settings and all I have is Pico TTS as an option. I did just check the "Always use my settings" box.

Rocko

Reaction score
I would also download the android system info and see what is hogging your cpu.

I just installed that app. With only that app running, I am between 8-15% total cpu usage.

Last edited: