Droid X and tethering

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The tethering for the BB Storm was told to me that it was $29 a month... I would have bought it if I new other wise....

Yeah I'm going to chuck that paper weight of slow to hell as soon as I grasp my X tomorrow.

think you should make a video of walking into the store with ur BB and as soon as u get the X, stomp the crap out of the BB. add humorous commentary and u got urself a 100K + youtube video

Reaction score
Whats gonna be the funny part is if I do that prior to buying the X and I find out its out of stock....

jubigret

Reaction score
does anyone know if tethering be able to be done via bluetooth with the app??

Reaction score
I have to make the point that I am a business account with plenty of discounting, but I don't think I get discounts on certain Features such as tethering.

I just placed my order online through My Biz account, and added the tethering to it... For me it cost $10 a month. (I am fairly certain that this is the individual tethering, not the HotSpot one.)

lxfilms

Reaction score
Tethering DroidX to Mac and PC

Hello,
I have just finished tethering my new Droidx to my PC Windows 7and Mac OSX 10.6.4 . with out the use of any app.
1. On the PC I paired the Driod using Bluetooth.
2. Then, Droid asked me to confirm the pairing code, I entered it and hit next.
then Droid flashed a message if I wanted to allow internet access, so I selected to Always allow it.
3. Then I created a new internet connection using Bluetooth in the Internet S sharing control panel.
4.selected the bluetooth connection in the wireless networks page and hit connect. Now onine

On the MAC
I paired the DroidX using the add Bluetooth device in the Bluetooth in the General Preferences control panel
2. paired device, Droid aske me to confirm the pairing code.
3. then in the network panel setting window i added a bluetooth PAN connection
4 Clicked on the Bluetooth connection on the left hand side, then on the right hand side selected connect. Clicked on advance and made sure I had an IP address. once i got the new ip address, Google poped up in the browser windwo I had open.

Make sure you have all other connections disconnected, like airport or ethernet (most likely the will be if you out and about. Good Luck

This isnt very clear but Im excited that it works and wanted to write it before I forget how i did it.

Thanksdancedroid

bigdog9586

Reaction score
I messed with the 3G mobile hotspot in 2.2 last night and it looks like you can now use it for free as I got no warning like in 2.1. I have no use for it at this moment but thought I'd see if it would at least setup.

FlyByNight

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just finished tethering my new Droidx to my PC Windows 7and Mac OSX 10.6.4 . with out the use of any app.
then Droid flashed a message if I wanted to allow internet access, so I selected to Always allow it.
3. Then I created a new internet connection using Bluetooth in the Internet S sharing control panel.
4.selected the bluetooth connection in the wireless networks page and hit connect. Now onine

On the MAC
I paired the DroidX using the add Bluetooth device in the Bluetooth in the General Preferences control panel
4 Clicked on the Bluetooth connection on the left hand side, then on the right hand side selected connect. Clicked on advance and made sure I had an IP address. once i got the new ip address, Google poped up in the browser windwo I had open.

Make sure you have all other connections disconnected, like airport or ethernet (most likely the will be if you out and about. Good Luck

This isnt very clear but Im excited that it works and wanted to write it before I forget how i did it.

Thanksdancedroid

Would you explain step 3 in the first section a little more? Is this enabled on the phone or on the PC?

I set it up in Win 7 but it seems to want a driver for the BT PAN for the Droid X

Last edited:

aapdroid

Reaction score
Hello,

On the MAC

Thanksdancedroid

Followed the steps with a mac. Had a 192 Ip number, but would not download any page.

The_Iceman

Reaction score
I messed with the 3G mobile hotspot in 2.2 last night and it looks like you can now use it for free as I got no warning like in 2.1. I have no use for it at this moment but thought I'd see if it would at least setup.

with verizon ... the application may not show much ... but check out the verizon website. think they charge $29-30 per month using their wifi hotspot application. took me awhile to find it.

if you have a need for wifi to share out... I do recommend wifi tethering which is free but you will need to root the phone.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Step 1.

Root.

Step 2.

Download Wireless Tether from the market.

Step 3.

Open Wireless Tether, then use your PC to connect to your Droid X dancedroid.

Done, Son.

Just don't make yourself look stupid by downloading multiple gigabytes in a super short time period.

FlyByNight

Reaction score
If you are just trying to tether via BT and not use your phone as wireless hotspot, follow aapdroid's directions. However, make sure the wireless is turned off on your phone. Otherwise the BT tethering won't work.

tomwilliams1

Reaction score

I did the same as you and I did not get a warning that there would be a charge.

Does anybody know if Verizon will automatically start charging or do they need to have approval to start charging?

dak446

Reaction score
What about just straight USB tethering to a PC? Does it still need to be rooted?

brentnotbret

Reaction score
On my previous incredible I was able to use the pre-installed 3G Hotspot without being charged. I found on a forum by going to the edit menu (##778 with 000000 as password), then into Security settings, and changing S.IP DUN User name to [email protected], then going to M.IP Default Profile and changing your DUN NAI to [email protected]. Does anybody know if this works on the X? Or where to find that menu?