Free wifi hotspot application?

Chief10

Reaction score
Hey there folks, first off I would like to say congrats to everyone who got/is getting the Droid X!

Question: So, on my droid I am able to tether for free(not paying Verizon the extra $20 USD/mo [or however much it is]) using PDAnet, does anyone know of a similar application for the Droid X's mobile hotspot feature?

Thanks all.. Now.. you meet my dancing banana:icon_ banana:

cypherx82

Reaction score
I don't think so. I believe you'll have to wait for Froyo for that. Assuming Verizon doesn't gut free mobile hotspot from it.

chikibabe

Reaction score
i think there's been a thread on this previously..just search the forum, there were three options, one being the phone has to be rooted..the other downloading an application but there's a hitch to that ..i dun remember..it's around here somewhere...

mightyjosephpaul

Reaction score
Free Tether

I was told by Verizon that they are going to nix the free Tether capability somehow in the firmware.

techguru

Reaction score
Hey there folks, first off I would like to say congrats to everyone who got/is getting the Droid X!

Question: So, on my droid I am able to tether for free(not paying Verizon the extra $20 USD/mo [or however much it is]) using PDAnet, does anyone know of a similar application for the Droid X's mobile hotspot feature?

PDAnet works on the X. You won't be able to do WiFi hotspot for free (unless maybe someone manages to root the device, and even then, VZ should be able to detect if they are packet sniffing). To be honest, they can also tell you are using PDANet, but they currently turn a blind eye unless your data usage is way way out of line with other users.

Alan

chikibabe

Reaction score

PDAnet works on the X. You won't be able to do WiFi hotspot for free (unless maybe someone manages to root the device, and even then, VZ should be able to detect if they are packet sniffing). To be honest, they can also tell you are using PDANet, but they currently turn a blind eye unless your data usage is way way out of line with other users.

Alan

Probably the case as I've been tethering through my WinMo without any issues.