Using Droid X Tethered and as WiFi Hotspot

stevem.fl

Reaction score
I often work from home and my internet connection is crucial. Today some careless (I used a different word when shouting in my office) workers digging in my backyard sliced my cable and killed my connection. After a brief moment of panic, I glanced down at my wonderful Droid X and started fiddling. I had not yet used the device for my PC internet yet, but I did decide to pay the 20 bucks a month extra for the WiFi hotspot capability when I bought it. I had been paying 60 bucks a month for the verizon broadband modem (used mostly when traveling) so I dumped that when I bought the Droid X.

Well, I decided to try two of the free methods first to see which ones would work best (maybe I could drop the 20 bucks a month). I installed both the PDANet and EasyTether apps. PDANet connected fine right away but it started dropping constantly so I then went to EasyTether. EasyTether connected, had good speed, and did not drop. However, when I went to use Cisco VPN to network into a customer's server, it did not work. Then I started the WiFi hotspot. It connected nicely, has not dropped yet (I'm on it now as I type), the speed is good, and I'm able to use Cisco VPN to do my work!

I'm glad I decided to pay the 20 bucks a month. Now I have a good reliable backup connection and I since I cannot work without the internet, the money is worth it. Oh yeah, beware of workers digging in your back yard too.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
maybe this will save you 20$/month

check out new to android link in my sig (its for the DX).

go to droid X hacks and check out rooting your phone. there are simple one-click apps that do this too (androot and easyroot)

once thats done, you can install this:

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

and do the same thing for free.

i know this is a lot at one time (esp if you dont know what rooting is, then see link 2) but if you have any questions, then just ask. IMO i cant justify paying $20 more on top of a $30 data plan.

OP
S

stevem.fl

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Abe! I'll check it out.

radiohead6129

Reaction score
Hi stevem,
A quick question, if you are already connected to a Wifi network on the droid x, what happens when you turn on Wifi hotspot? Does it still keep the connection to your wireless router?

OP
S

stevem.fl

Reaction score
In my situation, the connection to the default wireless router was still there when I turned on the Droid mobile hotspot and I had to use VZAccess Manager to switch to the Droid network. In the meantime, the workers fixed my connection and I used VZAccess manager to switch back.

viper3773

Reaction score
maybe this will save you 20$/month

check out new to android link in my sig (its for the DX).

go to droid X hacks and check out rooting your phone. there are simple one-click apps that do this too (androot and easyroot)

once thats done, you can install this:

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

and do the same thing for free.

i know this is a lot at one time (esp if you dont know what rooting is, then see link 2) but if you have any questions, then just ask. IMO i cant justify paying $20 more on top of a $30 data plan.

i agree can't afford $20 more a month espec for something you can get freee.

what do we download from that link if there is no droid x version or w/e?

thanks!

radiohead6129

Reaction score
I see, thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you turn on mobile hotspot while you have a good/working Wifi connection which can connect to the internet, will the devices connected to the droid x be able to access the internet through the Wifi link droid is connected to :)

liferefugee

Reaction score
when you use vznavigator you are essentially adding a new wifi device to your computer. Your computer can only use 1 of the wifi devices for your internet usage but can have both devices (your droid and your wireless card) active. This only works for when you tether using the usb cable method.

If using the wifi method to tether, since your wifi card can only connect to 1 network at a time, you would have to drop your connection to your router to pick up the connection to your droid.

One question I have still though that perhaps someone can answer...

If you can not use adhoc networks to tether to, and can not use the usb cable method (both are restricted where I work, no non company devices hooked to the company laptop) is there an app, rooted or not, that still lets you tether without paying big red another $20/mo?

Slothead

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did not realize that you had to pay $20 a month for the Wifi tethering. I use PdaNet with my Droid 1 with my laptop USB-tethered for $19 (one time forever). So I will probably buy a second full version (if I can't use the one I have already for my Droid X too (if it works on there), to equip for two laptop connections.

jlilnc14

Reaction score
Droid X Froyo update

Is the 3g Mobile Hotspot free with the froyo 2.2 update? Will verizon add the 3g package if i use it? thanks

liferefugee

Reaction score
From what I have been reading, they took out the notice about being charged when people use the app. I would say be careful and check your bill.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BoJatey

Reaction score
Ok, the more I read the more I get confused. Rooted to use Wifi Tether and all set to buy an adapter for my computer but do I have to open Wifi Hotspot app to use it and you're saying Verizon can see that and will charge me. I thought Wifi Tether was a way to get around it. So want to get rid of Charter. What if I use the bluetooth option in WFT instead of Wifi?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Last edited:

deano 177

Reaction score
in my experiance.. using the link I listed above... you turn the wifi on and when you log on with your connected device you may get the verizon page. simply turn the signal off and then back on as described in the link and you should be connected to the net via droid x wifi. I dont know if verizon can "see" if you use their wifi connection...