Wifi Tether on Droid X now free!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Keep in mind, you can still be terminated for abusing data.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Oh so wrong, the FCC was not fined for charging for tethering, contrary, they indeed still can charge all unlimited data users for tethering. tiered and shared plans don't have to pay. Verizon agreed to pay 1.25 mil for the FCC to stop the inquiry, and agreed to some concessions. Verizon got into trouble by asking the Play Store not to offer tethering apps.

THE FCC DID GRANT VERIZON THE RIGHT TO CHARGE PEOPLE WITH UNLIMITED DATA A FEE FOR TETHERING.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrSarcasmo

Reaction score
I have unlimited data and rarely ever use the hotspot feature. It's just nice to try it out and not have the Verizon warning page come up. And to not pay the $20 of course!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Well Lloyd, You don't have to believe me about this. Here is info from another source...

3 Apps to Tether Your Android Without Rooting - YouTube

I'm just the messenger...

I have Foxfi myself, I just stated "Verizon" didn't get fined for charging people for tethering they got fined for trying to block apps from the play store, i.e. tethering apps. If you would have read my post with any care you first would have realized i said "the FCC" got the fine.

I was correcting your statement in your OP that the fine was levied because of charging people for tethering not for blocking apps.

Too many people never read page 2-?, they read the first words then skip to the last page and start there whether to rant or rave.

Now i get to rant, the decree sent to verison and published for all to read, not the tiny snippets that appear in random post.

THE FCC CLEARLY GAVE PERMISSION TO VERIZON TO CHARGE ALL UNLIMITED DATA CUSTOMERS FOR TETHERING. ALBEIT LEGAL(USING A DEVICE FROM VERIZON)

Before your rebuttal please go to FCC.com and read. please.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and another side note... this fine pertained to the block c spectrum... around 700 mhz... they they bought at action a few years back... and this decision is for that spectrum.... verizons 4g lte network... has nothing to do with 3g data...
people need to stop jumping to conclusions with this fine.. was for blocking how people accessed the spectrum block c... 4g lte... that's it... but verizon has already started getting around this problem with their share everything plan... why do you think they started to include tethering in that plan... this does not grant tethering on 3g plans... this is not a loophole to get the bootloader's unlocked on verizon's phone... it's just the fcc telling verizon they can not restrict how people use their 4g network(this stipulation with that spectrum is brought to you by google... as they lobbied some where around 5 billion dollars to get this added in to the plan for this spectrum of data)

Last edited:

droidx2010

Reaction score
The FCC has ruled that charging $20/month for wifi tethering was illegal and fined Verizon 1.25 million for charging us that fee. I ran Barnacle tether on my Droid X and used it as a hotspot for my Nook Color. I didn't get the Verizon $20/month screen. Sweeeet!

FCC Tells Verizon It Can't Force You To Pay $20 For Tethering Anymore
My Google Voice doesn't seem to be working right, could there be some settings screwed up? Everytime I send a text message, it gets stuck on send mode & nothing gets sent.

droidx2010

Reaction score
Maybe the FCC is involved with GV now. I'm trying to send texts & all the sudden they get stuck in send mode. Could it be the FCC or my phone settings? If it's due to my phone settings, can someone help me?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
and another side note... this fine pertained to the block c spectrum... around 700 mhz... they they bought at action a few years back... and this decision is for that spectrum.... verizons 4g lte network... has nothing to do with 3g data...
people need to stop jumping to conclusions with this fine.. was for blocking how people accessed the spectrum block c... 4g lte... that's it... but verizon has already started getting around this problem with their share everything plan... why do you think they started to include tethering in that plan... this does not grant tethering on 3g plans... this is not a loophole to get the bootloader's unlocked on verizon's phone... it's just the fcc telling verizon they can not restrict how people use their 4g network(this stipulation with that spectrum is brought to you by google... as they lobbied some where around 5 billion dollars to get this added in to the plan for this spectrum of data)

one little nit though, wasn't a fine. was a voluntary contribution (bribe in my book) as per the consent decree. just a stickler. Again good job.

any rebuttals please read FCC DA 12-1228, specifically page 8 (C) (D) and I'll quote "including termination of service, against customer..."