Bluetooth Tethering?

chiaroscuro

Reaction score
yep.. i got that ... but the point i am trying to make is that ... since mine connects without issues.. i get the msg " your internet connection appears to be working correctly" when I click on diag (in the assist me). i am using a mbp with 10.6.4 snow leapord and y 3g connection is also solid... can't think of any other variables..try re-pairing

the5rivers

Reaction score
So I have connected my phone via bluetooth to my Win 7 laptop, but everytime i click connect to access point, it connects successfully but I cannot connect to the internet. I check the status to see if there are any data packets being sent/received, and there is definitely data transfers, but just no internet connection. In network connections it just says "no internet access." I know the previous posters were talking about the X and connecting to a Mac, but does anyone have any advice for Win 7 users? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Izord

Reaction score
Did this exactly, and still doesnt work. Same issue with no driver for the peripheral device. Still searching for a solution. Thanks though!

Can offer two suggestions, did you reboot both devices after that just to see if it would work after the reboot?

And did you ever hook up the DroidX to the PC via USB and let it install the USB drivers? I don't know if that would matter, but I DID hook up via USB first.

So now the DroidX Opens it's own little 'Icon' on the taskbar.

the5rivers

Reaction score
Did this exactly, and still doesnt work. Same issue with no driver for the peripheral device. Still searching for a solution. Thanks though!

Can offer two suggestions, did you reboot both devices after that just to see if it would work after the reboot?

And did you ever hook up the DroidX to the PC via USB and let it install the USB drivers? I don't know if that would matter, but I DID hook up via USB first.

Yeah I did reboot my PC and the phone, nothing. And I did plug in the X first via USB so im pretty sure drivers were installed, etc, but Ive only used the "charge only" option thus far. Still trying to find a solution, but thanks for the tips will try them again.

Elkay

Reaction score
So I have connected my phone via bluetooth to my Win 7 laptop, but everytime i click connect to access point, it connects successfully but I cannot connect to the internet. I check the status to see if there are any data packets being sent/received, and there is definitely data transfers, but just no internet connection. In network connections it just says "no internet access." I know the previous posters were talking about the X and connecting to a Mac, but does anyone have any advice for Win 7 users? Thanks!!

This is EXACTLY the problem I'm having. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I've found no way of getting it working so far. Spent a little while every day trying things. If anyone else finds a workaround or has a suggestion, PLEASE by all means!

Eolly

Reaction score

Yeah I did reboot my PC and the phone, nothing. And I did plug in the X first via USB so im pretty sure drivers were installed, etc, but Ive only used the "charge only" option thus far. Still trying to find a solution, but thanks for the tips will try them again.
Do this...goto settings>applications>developement> and check debugging mode.
That is suppose to make it work.
Al.so set the phone to usb mass storage mode.

Last edited:

Elkay

Reaction score
Debugging mode made no difference. When I run the Win 7 network troubleshooter, I get:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

It's not simply a DNS problem, though. I can't ping or browse directly to Google's IP address, which I can do from a different computer on the WiFi right next to me.

the5rivers

Reaction score

Do this...goto settings>applications>developement> and check debugging mode.
That is suppose to make it work.
Al.so set the phone to usb mass storage mode.

Amazing! So I plugged my phone via usb to make sure drivers were installed (and they were cuz i plugged it in way before), and i still had it on "charge only mode." So i switched it to mass storage mode first and then checked the "usb debugging mode" option. Then i went to "connect using access point" and it worked! After this, just to see if it had anything to do with the "mass storage mode" option, I switched it back to "charge only," and it still worked, so take it how you will.

Double checked everything by loading my browser, and I do have internet now. So i though hmm ok would it work without the usb cable plugged in. So i disconnected from the access point, disconnected the cable, and then just clicked "connect to access point" again, and again it worked wirelessly now! Thanks for suggesting this! It is now working on my phone.

Instructions for what I did:
1. Connect phone to PC via usb cable.
2. Switch to "mass storage mode"
3. Go to settings>applications>development>check usb debugging
4. Now, make sure your phone's BT is on, and that you have already sync'd it appropriately to you PC, and find your device and "connect to access point."
5. You should be connected to the internet now.

Hope it helps, and thanks to previous posters for all the tips! BTW I posted all of this via the BT connection =)

Elkay

Reaction score
Fixed my problem! As it turns out, you *cannot have WiFi enabled on the phone* or you will not be able to get out of the phone. As soon as I turned off WiFi, I was able to connect using the exact same process as I'd done previously.

Might want to add this to the instructions on the main page, as I already saw I'm not the only one that ran into this.

Izord

Reaction score
I've never checked 'USB debugging'. So I don't think it's necessary.

I knew that option was there from previous androids, so just now I looked at it, and it is UNCHECKED.

But glad you got your stuff working! Hope it lasts and doesn't get locked down.

:icon_ banana:

2sls

Reaction score
I also had the problem where my bluetooth drivers weren't fully installed- make sure it's working before you try the tether, otherwise it will connect but still won't work.

the5rivers

Reaction score
I've never checked 'USB debugging'. So I don't think it's necessary.

I knew that option was there from previous androids, so just now I looked at it, and it is UNCHECKED.

But glad you got your stuff working! Hope it lasts and doesn't get locked down.

:icon_ banana:

Yeah, USB Debug is unnecessary.

Yeah, I know that its not necessary, but in my situation, I had tried everything! Only thing left was to check usb debug, and it worked flawlessly for me. So I was just pointing out that in my situation, I had usb debugging on. When it was off, it didnt work. Either way, i am just glad it is working now and thanks to all the tips provided in this thread. My experience is not the absolute way to get it working.

Eolly

Reaction score
Yeah, USB Debug is unnecessary.
Necessary or not it is suggested by the phone.
I also read it somewhere that you have to do it for the phone to sort things out the first time. But your mileage may vary as it has donr already.

Reaction score
Quick question: Do you need to have the "WiFi Hotspot" feature turned on for this to function?

I only ask as I figured out a backdoor way of connecting my BB Storm2 via USB to my laptop and use it as a modem. (NOT using the Verizon "EZ Access" software.) The only problem was that Verizon figured out a way to detect this and made it so that when you open up a browser window after getting connected, it brought up a "splash page" that said you need to add Tethering to your phone account feature.