Droid Turbo First Impressions

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
With units fresh in the hands of consumers I want to hear everyones (who received them) initial thoughts on it.

Camera? Software? Screen? Hardware? Aesthetics? You name it. Tell me your first impressions.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I already posted this in the Official "I got my turbo" thread.., but they apply here too.

Just got home with the 64GB version. I'm going to really put it through the paces and decide which phone to keep - the Turbo or the Note 4.

Initial impressions:

- It feels fantastic in hand.
- The screen is great.
- It's very snappy, but it doesn't feel any quicker than the Note 4.
- Qi charging works.
- Signal is solid (on par with the Note 4).
- The camera is a little slow to take pictures compared to the phones I've been using as of late. Image quality is better than I was expecting though.*
- Just under 52GB of available memory out of the box. It says Android OS takes up 11.7GB. That's ridiculous. Touch Whiz doesn't take up that much space.

*Update - While I'm going to test it out for the next week, I'm pretty sure the Turbo is going to go back for one reason - the camera. Slow to focus, slow to capture, and mediocre low light performance. It's the best camera Moto has ever had in a phone, but it's a deal breaker for me after having used the amazing shooter that the Note 4 has.

I take a lot of pictures (for work and personally), so the camera is of the utmost importance to me. If that's not an extremely important thing to you, or if it's just moderately important, you'll have no problems with the Turbo. I'm loving everything else about it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Samsung fan boy ^^ lmao. :) . Side by side with a note 4 the readings are similar, but downloading an app, the turbo has been faster 3/4 times.. The 4th time I got a call.

No voice over data of any kind.. Kinda sucks...

Camera is good enough for me..I think it takes pretty good pics since the app updated a few hours ago..

There's already an update for the turbo.. No idea what it was for..

The qi charging location is much lower than the maxx.. A little lower than center from what I'm seeing..

Screen looks awesome.. Even through an otterbox defender (waiting on my glass screen protector)

While the focus isn't as fast as the g3, I'd say the images are just as good in ideal lighting. Idk about low light.. I'll find out soon enough..

And yes.. I'm a moto fan boy.. But I've been next to a note 4 most of the day.. Going to war with it so to speak.. And the person with the note 4 has buyers remorse.. But i think it's partially due to their not being familiar with touchwiz.. Lol

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
That's weird that your 64GB version is showing 11.7 for Android OS. My 32GB version shows Android only using 8.37GB.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That's weird that your 64GB version is showing 11.7 for Android OS. My 32GB version shows Android only using 8.37GB.
It is quite odd that the two are showing different amounts.

8.37 is still a lot though. On my S5, the Android system files took up around 5GB...and that's including Touch Whiz.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Ha ha. Not in the slightest. I think my signature attests to that. ;)

I try all sorts and go with whatever suits me best at the time. :)
Just had to give ya grief.. Haven't been able to in while :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First impression are . wow this thing is fast .and screen is awesome . when the fed ex man delivered my package I swear I heard angels singing in background . then when I opened the box I saw the light!.. Taken no pics with it yet.. Nothing I need to in office and its cold outside .. So there ya go.. I like it no regrets so far.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
5e251332a4e7d84c3e2baff32e367860.jpg
307f24179f18da61de3420b7b20e4175.jpg
43de277dd8b8df07b67137f453a2d412.jpg

In bright lights, it does ok.. I couldn't see what I was shooting... Lol

quadtronix

Reaction score
Got the 32GB Ballistic nylon Turbo this morning. I've been playing around with it on and off all day and still have 87% battery left. I'm coming from the Note 3 which I only had for a few months. Before that I had the HTC One Max and before that the Droid DNA...

Of all those, this reminds me most of the DNA which I loved. What reminds me of the DNA most is that its slick, powerful and feels ahead of its time. Like next year's specs in a phone right now. At least that's my opinion on it.

I'm loving the back with the Ballistic nylon material and the speed, battery life and screen are all top notch. I thought that the screen might be to small for me but not at all. Its refreshing to go smaller for a change and I think this phone hits a sweet spot on size perfectly. Also charges extremely fast! I went from 52% to 97% in about an hour and I had the screen on most of the time, setting up, installing apps and updating apps while it was charging. I'm sure if I wasn't using the phone it'd have charged much faster too.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase so far and I think I made the right choice. Kept my Note3 just in case but I doubt I'm ever going back to it. The Note 3 was a great phone but IMO this is an upgrade in many important ways. Oh and the software is great too. Very close to stock Android at least compared to Touchwiz... Again, that's just my opinion. Love the notifications that pop up on-screen even when phone is asleep too!!! I highly recommend this phone!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
First impressions? I always Hate a new phone. I hate change though, I like once I am familiar with something and have it set up just the way I like it. This will get to that spot I'm sure.
I charged it to FULL at about 3pm, have not done much on it but it had to migrate all the stuff over cloud, text(s) whatever and I'm down to like 85% at 7pm.
We' ll see. I REALLY loved my razrMaxxHD - great phone. I gave it a smootch when I powered it down. First "old phone" I didn't take out back to put it out of my misery. I usually hold on to them until long after they gave up on me.
My HD is still perfect and is at like 75% battery when I go to bed on a normal day.
I have questions about the new Turbo.
- # of Home screens?
- It seems to want to tell me what time it is all the time.
- How does wireless charging work?
- I googled cases (on the fence about covering a phone I got because I like the way it looks) seems the ballistic nylon causes fitment issues?
Nice phone - I'm sure I will love it. Hell, I drive a Jeep.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
You add home screens by dragging an app icon from your second screen to the right onto what should be the third screen, etc. I'm using the Verizon Store shell/holster case, like I have used with my RMHD and Moto X.

TatDroid

Reaction score
On "wanting to tell you the time", that's what used to be called Active Notifications, now Moto Display. It was one of my absolute favorite things about the Moto X, and they've made it even better for the Turbo.
It pulses off and on, slowly when no notifications, faster when there are new items you haven't seen yet. Want to see if a new email or text is important, or who it's from? Press and hold the notification icon to see more info. While still holding it, swipe right to dismiss it. It won't show you that one any more. Or, swipe up to go directly to that message. Or swipe down just to go to the home screen (or the lock screen if it's locked). Wondering if there are new notifications but the screen is dark while it's sitting there? Just hold your hand a few inches above the screen and the notifications screen will pulse on.

I love it. You can check on so many things without ever turning the screen on - a real power saver. And, I hardly ever use the power button to turn the screen on. Just swipe!

Sent from my Droid Turbo

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Long press on a Home screen, and wallpapers and widgets should appear at the bottom of the screen. If your screen is completely full, you may need to drag icons off temporarily until you set up the widget.