Pixel XL: First Impressions

What's your first impression of your Pixel XL?

• It's great!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It's good.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • It's ok.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm disappointed.

• It's terrible!

• Total voters

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I played with an XL at the VZW store a few days ago. I will say this phone impressed me more than any Android device in a really long time. I was all Android until a year an a half ago. Made a switch to Apple and have been pretty happy.

But I will say if I wouldn't be throwing away a $650 trade in credit on my 6 Plus for the 7 Plus I'd be getting an XL. I'll see how things go and maybe I'll switch back with the next gen Pixel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
One of Thee most entertaining personalities (review of a phone) I've ever seen.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the Pixel. Don't get me wrong, it's great overall. But I'm not finding a good reason to get rid of my S7 over it. It's faster, yes, but it lacks true water / dust resistance. Its camera is good, but I don't believe it's better than the S7. They each have their strengths in the camera department, but nothing beats the S7's speed and accessibility. This isn't necessarily the Pixel's fault, but I also lose VoLTE, HD Voice and tethering (on AT&T...).

At the same time, it feels very premium, fits great in the hand (regular vs. XL), and is so incredibly smooth and fast.

I've only been semi-impressed with the camera. It's a bit on the dark side in most shots compared to the S7 and iPhone 7 (or maybe they're on the light side?). It's quick, but every single shot is processing in the background, so if you want to double check your photo you actually feel the slowdown of HDR+.

And I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but there is no way I'm getting 7 hours of battery life in a 15 minute charge. Honestly the fast charging on this has not been very fast at all. Yes I'm using the OEM charger and a couple of different outlets.

Over all it's a very solid device and an incredible Android UI experience... I just think it should've been $100 cheaper.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I've only been semi-impressed with the camera. It's a bit on the dark side in most shots compared to the S7 and iPhone 7 (or maybe they're on the light side?).

Do you feel like a lower peak screen brightness has anything to do with your perception of the shot? For instance, if you upload the same picture from both phones to a independent device like a computer, does the Pixel actually produce a darker image?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've uploaded it from both phones and it's definitely a darker image in certain situations. It's not necessarily bad, and honestly in some scenarios it could be more realistic. I think my experience has mimicked this review so far:

Sorry, Google, the Pixel's camera isn't better than the iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7

It's a great camera - for a "nexus" - but generally speaking I still don't feel it beats out the S7/i7 when taking into consideration the entire package.

mach330

Reaction score
so i saw this video when someone activated google assistant then swiped up to get the old google now so you can share (snapshot perhaps). Nothing happens when I swipe up on mine when I launch google assistant. I was trying to see if it can do snapshot the old way without pressing power/vol down.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
so i saw this video when someone activated google assistant then swiped up to get the old google now so you can share (snapshot perhaps). Nothing happens when I swipe up on mine when I launch google assistant. I was trying to see if it can do snapshot the old way without pressing power/vol down.
I THINK you swipe up before launching Google Assistant, but I could be wrong.

Amagine

Reaction score
Over all it's a very solid device and an incredible Android UI experience... I just think it should've been $100 cheaper.

So far for some of the units I've been able to test. I agree with this statement. While the materials science is vastly improved over the Nexus line. This iteration has too many things missing to quantify the premium price. I feel most of the improvements have been in the software. Aside from the camera, the rest of the phone is almost, dare I say it, mid- tier.

It's a great step forward. But like I said, too many options missing. Make it water/activity proof for one. I don't use wireless charging at the moment, but not having the option entirely is disappointing. Also a deal with providers to make google drive data over the air free would be a blast if I can't get expanding storage.