The Pixel XL Is The Most Expensive Nexus Phone Ever?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

We should see the Pixel and Pixel XL hit the market as soon as next month. We still don't know how much these devices will cost. A recent leak may give us some insight on this matter. The managing editor of Android Police has received a tip that the higher end Pixel XL will be available for $649 at launch. The tipped price doesn't state whether this is for the standard 32GB storage option or the 128GB option, but it is believed that this price would be for the 32GB option.

The 32GB option of the Nexus 6P was launched at a price point of only $499 making it one of the best deals in tech. Even at $649 the Pixel XL would be competitively priced with Samsung's flagship lineup and the new iPhone. It is also anticipated that Google will offer a device financing plan for both the Pixel and Pixel XL which would be a Google first. We should see the devices unveiled by Google on October 4 and also have the ability to pre order the devices on the same day.

via @RDR0b11

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
RIP Nexus. (If it's all true.)

Can't say I blame them. You said it all right here
Even at $649 the Pixel XL would be competitively priced with Samsung's flagship lineup and the new iPhone.
I'm guessing that the Pixel line has a completely different goal than the Nexus line did. If you want to be taken seriously, you can't under-sell yourself. While I'm happy with the price that I paid for the 6P, I wasn't comparing it to Samsung/Apple priced devices. I was comparing it to phones like the Moto X Pure in that price range. Still great devices, but if you're too much below the competition, the general public is going to assume that it's because your specs can't compete.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hahahahahahhaha. It's living up to the pixel model. Well HTC needs help and that may be how to help them. I'm happy with the 6p so I'll be sticking with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

boidsonly

Reaction score
I'm sad to say there is nothing I like about the look or the reputed price of the Pixel line.
The LG V20 is looking better everyday....

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
Same cost the Moto Nexus 6 32gb @ $649.00

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would not be competitively priced at $649.
The glaring hole in the theory is that there is no way to expand the device memory of ANY Nexus device to date. The Note has a microSD slot.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It would not be competitively priced at $649.
The glaring hole in the theory is that there is no way to expand the device memory of ANY Nexus device to date. The Note has a microSD slot.
The iPhone doesn't.

Does it? It used to not have it. Pretty sure that still the case.

I would say that Apple is more concern to google as far as who to compete with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The iPhone doesn't.

Does it? It used to not have it. Pretty sure that still the case.

I would say that Apple is more concern to google as far as who to compete with.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The iPhone also now has a storage tier at 256GB.
So to be competitive at the top it needs to offer removable storage like the other Android offerings at that price point because you can get a 200GB microSD (we know that's not happening) or it needs to offer up to 256GB of storage like the iPhone. If it does neither then it is not motivating as a flagship device.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
The original Nexus 6 launched at $649 for the 32GB model, $699 for the 64GB model. So at worst the Pixel XL would be tied for most expensive Nexus ever.