Droid Pro battery life

Ned

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone else had horrible battery life with the pro so far? My wifes pro has been unplugged for a little over 8 hours. She used it a handful of times today and is down to 15% battery.

She has gmail, a pop which is pulling, and an exchange account. I am wondering if all the syncing is killing battery life.

I have to carry a charger with me at all times for my D1. I am over clocked and use it all the time so I can understand why my battery is bad. I would have thought moto would have done better with the pro.

Ned

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danwanna

Reaction score
I would give it a few days. I've noticed my Droid and Droid2 both got better battery life after about of week of normal use.

matleycrew

Reaction score
Have the screen set to auto. Bluetooth off when not using it, wifi off. I have been browsing, texting, emailing and played pandora for a little over two hours still at 50% after 15 hours unplugged. While browsing played a few videos too.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would give it a few days. I've noticed my Droid and Droid2 both got better battery life after about of week of normal use.

It's not that the battery life actually gets better. It's likely that you stop playing with it so much. Less use means better battery life.

OP
N

Ned

Reaction score
There has to be something sucking the life out of it that is running in the background. I took a look at the detailed battery usage. Phone idle time is coming in at 62% of the total usage. Something is not right here, must dig deeper. I just charged it and will let it sit idle overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I agree that use play with it a lot more when you first get it but the thing was in her pocket almost all day. Idle time should not take up that much juice.

droidman101

Reaction score

It's not that the battery life actually gets better. It's likely that you stop playing with it so much. Less use means better battery life.

well no to the first, but yes to the second
at the time you get it, it can hold 80% of its max charge, and after about 8 or so charges/discharges it can hold its maximum as 100%

but yes, ive noticed i used my droid less after a week ;)

droidman101

Reaction score
There has to be something sucking the life out of it that is running in the background. I took a look at the detailed battery usage. Phone idle time is coming in at 62% of the total usage. Something is not right here, must dig deeper. I just charged it and will let it sit idle overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I agree that use play with it a lot more when you first get it but the thing was in her pocket almost all day. Idle time should not take up that much juice.

Id see if disabling the gps works, for some reason that was a problem with the DX, and the DX and the Droid Pro are much the same if you dont count screen size, keyboard, and camera

OP
N

Ned

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the DX and GPS. It was on and I just disabled it. That may do the trick, I hope.

OP
N

Ned

Reaction score
Ok, I tested last night. Phone sat idle from 10pm to 8am off the charger with no usage from the time it was unplugged at 10 until 8am.

Phone was fully charged at 10pm
GPS off
Data sync set to night time battery saver (no syncing between 10pm and 5am)
Bluetooth off
WIFI was on and connected to our home wirless network.

Battery meter showed 20% left this morning.
Phone idle usage was 49% of the battery

The only other thing I can think of is to kill WIFI to save battery but that is a crappy workaround.

This morning I charged my D1 100% and put that battery in the Pro and put the Pro's battery in my D1.

My hope is the battery that came with the pro has a bad cell or something. Otherwise, the Pro will have to go back where it came from if the battery is that bad.

TheBoz

Reaction score
I found if you switch your network setting from Global to CDMA for verizon users while leaving GPS and bluetooth on fixed my problem.

kilofox

Reaction score
Ok, I tested last night. Phone sat idle from 10pm to 8am off the charger with no usage from the time it was unplugged at 10 until 8am.

Phone was fully charged at 10pm
GPS off
Data sync set to night time battery saver (no syncing between 10pm and 5am)
Bluetooth off
WIFI was on and connected to our home wirless network.

Battery meter showed 20% left this morning.
Phone idle usage was 49% of the battery

The only other thing I can think of is to kill WIFI to save battery but that is a crappy workaround.

This morning I charged my D1 100% and put that battery in the Pro and put the Pro's battery in my D1.

My hope is the battery that came with the pro has a bad cell or something. Otherwise, the Pro will have to go back where it came from if the battery is that bad.

Why have wifi on when you are not using it i.e. asleep? Wifi is a big battery drain on any phone.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Check the cell standby, if it says "time without signal 50%," I think that bug can effect battery life.

Turn on airplane mode, and then turn it off, and you should see the percentage start to drop.

It crops up from time to time on my stock D2, and I also saw this across various versions of stock and roms on my D1. I haven't ever come across a real explanation, sometimes something just doesn't load fully or properly.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why have wifi on when you are not using it i.e. asleep? Wifi is a big battery drain on any phone.

Agreed. I had wifi on at my buddy's house last night for a few hours and even not using it my battery on my droid x went down about 20% in almost two hours with minor use. I always keep bluetooth, wifi, and gps off when not using them this really helps save battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk.
Thank you to those that have served and are currently serving in the military.
Happy Veterains Day.

OP
N

Ned

Reaction score
Check the cell standby, if it says "time without signal 50%," I think that bug can effect battery life.

Turn on airplane mode, and then turn it off, and you should see the percentage start to drop.

It crops up from time to time on my stock D2, and I also saw this across various versions of stock and roms on my D1. I haven't ever come across a real explanation, sometimes something just doesn't load fully or properly.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Interesting about the cell standby. I just checked and it has been unplugged for about an hour. Battery down 10% and "time without a signal" was at 15%. I will cycle airplane mode on and off.
Any idea what causes the "time without a signal" to populate? I checked my D1 and it lists a 0% and we have been sitting next to each other all morning.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!