Droid Pro Battery Life

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I am using paper with just a logo. What would you define as "Live"?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I am using paper with just a logo. What would you define as "Live"?

Wallpapers that aren't static. Live wallpapers move around constantly. For example, go to your home screen and press the Main Menu button (or long press and go to Wallpaper). Then go to Live Wallpapers and take a look

akosnitzky

Reaction score
Thank you. These are static. Understood now.

Artex88

Reaction score
I came from a Droid 2 to the Droid Pro, and the short battery life was immediately apparent. Almost the same settings as I was using on the 2, but I also just disabled "global" under mobile networks and set it to "CDMA only". Hopefully that helps.

ehbedard

Reaction score
My battery life is terrible. I may get about 6 to 7 hours of use before it dies. And that is without making phone calls, that is by just texting and occasionally pulling something up on the internet. When I go into the Battery Manager I notice that the Display is eating about 65 to 75% of my Battery. I hate the Brightness on Auto? Any Suggestions?

mymilkexpired

Reaction score
I'll agree with most that the battery life is less than spectacular. I find that I get a full days use out of my Pro but I have made some changes.

My Usage:
- I've removed a bunch of APK's to cut down on running services and such that I dont use.
- Skype (Not VZW Mobile Version) is always running
-- I send and receive messages throughout the day
- Couple of phone calls during the day and about 20-30 minute call on the way home with the wife.
- Text messaging throughout the day.
- 30 Minutes of web browsing while out to lunch.
- GMail Sync (always active)
- Touchdown for Exchange (Active Sync Push, always active)
- Set CPU Profiles
-- Screen Off = 300
-- Batt > 50% = 800 / 300
-- Batt < 50% = 600 / 300
- Launcher Pro Plus replaced MotoBlur

My largest consumers of battery life is Phone Idle 33%, Display 30%, and Cell Standby 26%.

I'd imagine that the keyboard backlight is contributing to the display consumption numbers. It would be helpful if keyboard backlighting could be disabled.

3hr 45min and it just rolled to the 80% battery indication. On that note, the status bar icon indicator sucks. It lacks refined movement to properly indicate the actual battery life. At 50% it looks like its really stating 60-70%.

I'll update the post with new battery usage statistics after 8hrs of usage and again at 10hrs.

Last edited:

ayce

Reaction score
what display settings are you using?

I'll agree with most that the battery life is less than spectacular. I find that I get a full days use out of my Pro but I have made some changes.

My Usage:
- I've removed a bunch of APK's to cut down on running services and such that I dont use.
- Couple of phone calls during the day and about 20-30 minute call on the way home with the wife.
- Set CPU Profiles
-- Screen Off = 300

My largest consumers of battery life is Phone Idle 33%, Display 30%, and Cell Standby 26%.

I'd imagine that the keyboard backlight is contributing to the display consumption numbers. It would be helpful if keyboard backlighting could be disabled.

3hr 45min and it just rolled to the 80% battery indication. On that note, the status bar icon indicator sucks. It lacks refined movement to properly indicate the actual battery life. At 50% it looks like its really stating 60-70%.

I'll update the post with new battery usage statistics after 8hrs of usage and again at 10hrs.

mymilkexpired

Reaction score
what display settings are you using?

My Usage:
- Set CPU Profiles
-- Screen Off = 300

I use the automatic settings.

A few other things to note:
- GPS, WLAN, and Bluetooth are all disabled. I enable them only as needed.

This is a capture after nearly 20 hours of use. Battery percentage is at 30, but you wouldn't know that from the status bar icon.. I believe the problem we are all experiencing is 1.) Bloatware, 2.) Less than perfect hardware tuning. I would imagine at some point in time an update will come from moto/vzw that will help with the battery life issues.

CAP201012100800.jpg

bwhite757

Reaction score
I use the automatic settings.

A few other things to note:
- GPS, WLAN, and Bluetooth are all disabled. I enable them only as needed.

This is a capture after nearly 20 hours of use. Battery percentage is at 30, but you wouldn't know that from the status bar icon.. I believe the problem we are all experiencing is 1.) Bloatware, 2.) Less than perfect hardware tuning. I would imagine at some point in time an update will come from moto/vzw that will help with the battery life issues.

CAP201012100800.jpg

That screen snap tells me that you don't use your phone to a 1/3rd of it's capabilities. Anyone that actually uses their phone for productivity (or normal smartphone usage) is ALWAYS going to see the display at the top of the list. I don't care if you have your display turned down to 10%, the screen is simply going to pull more juice than anything. Your screen snap also tells me that you're screen is off 80% or more of the time it's unplugged. Phone Idle and Cell Standby are normally toward the bottom of the list on my usage page.

I'm a very heavy user, I will agree to that. I'm the IT guy for a small bowling center chain in the South East. I was put in charge of finding a way to sync daily financial information from POS systems on 3 different OS's (12 Different Locations) back to the home office (something these computers were never designed to do). This project has taken me 5 years so far, and I'm still working the bugs out. Having to travel from location to location, always on the remote desktop app on my phone between each server, and all correspondence between the bowling center managers and home office reps and me are done through email just so I can keep transcripts separate between the different locations.

This in turn has me receiving normally over a 100 emails per day that I have to reply to, countless texts and phone calls with my partner diagnosing problems, and then of course my down time driving I'm still normally having to do something, or thinking of some code, and will throw it into my phone.

I've really only done a few things but am seeing a vast improvement. Stock settings with my usage gives me about 4 hours then I'm dead in the water. Now I get about 7 hours and I'm literally doing something on my phone all the time so I'm completely pleased with that.

My main things:
Root and remove the bloat. Play with the phone a couple of days, find out what apps you'll never use then get rid of them.

Get a different launcher, either Launcher Pro or ADW.

Buy SetCPU and set profiles for:
Screen off = 300 MHz
Battery < 70% = 800 MHz
Battery < 50% = 600 MHZ

Change wireless mode from Global

That's it for me. If I used my phone like a normal person I could get a full day easy, but again its literally always in my hands, so 7 hours I am very pleased with. That's about as long as my Blackberries got me. After that I just slap my spare battery I always have in my back pocket in and I'm good to go with only 2 minutes downtime, as opposed to the 15 minutes down with any Blackberry battery swap.

If I'm using a little more juice with the Pro, I'll take it because I can get SO MUCH done with this little thing as opposed to any other Droid/Blackberry I've owned. It has increased my productivity well ahead.

mymilkexpired

Reaction score
Just depends on what I'm doing. 90% of my work force is in Asia Pacific so my off hours are usually busier than my day hours. I also spend 8hrs at a desk during the day, so Im not going to reading emails on my phone when I have Outlook...

The display is only one small part of the puzzle. I strongly believe the Pro has an inherent reception issue that causes the radio to be particularly chatty which eats up battery power. I stand behind the belief that an update will trickle down at some point to help with the consumption issues.

flash24

Reaction score
Aka Gingerbread :)

Just depends on what I'm doing. 90% of my work force is in Asia Pacific so my off hours are usually busier than my day hours. I also spend 8hrs at a desk during the day, so Im not going to reading emails on my phone when I have Outlook...

The display is only one small part of the puzzle. I strongly believe the Pro has an inherent reception issue that causes the radio to be particularly chatty which eats up battery power. I stand behind the belief that an update will trickle down at some point to help with the consumption issues.

joeld82

Reaction score
800mhz saves battery life

Shri

Reaction score
Battery is infuriating and laughable at the same time. Lasting 8 hours feels like a boon.

I feel like I should have kept my LG Dare (charged once a week) and bought a PSP on the side.

Interestingly 60-70% is used on Display. Even if I use auto, its not much better (which by the way is way too dark).

zenivzen

Reaction score
battery drain is proportional to use. conversations will kill it very quick. and i have found, as other threads have agreed, that task managers from the market often give with one hand while taking away with the other and drain battery as the claim to save it. but that's my experience, one day usually is enough of a test run. extra batteries are the way to go. usual reboot of phone when switching out packs is two minutes. extended battery is lauded on many threads too.