Droid Pro Battery Life

MitchE

Reaction score
Biggest gripe is battery life. I switched from BB Tour to Pro. Love the Pro so far - keyboard is nice - but biggest complaint is the battery dies constantly. I downloaded an app to kill other apps from running in background and left setting so that phones sleeps to save power but still is an issue. Anyone else have suggestions/ideas? I presume the extended battery will help but should not force people into that as the only solution.

shmoo

Reaction score
For one I would probably get rid of the task killer. Its been proven that those things don't really do anything except cause problems and kill battery. A quick search here will show what I mean. I think some more about it and get back

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^+1 here.

Get rid of the taskkiller. Put your brightness all the way down, unless its necessary to see outside.

Same battery as the Original Droid. So it can't be TOO bad. Coming from a BB it will be worse, BB's will last 2 days on moderate usage.

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
Thanks, was not aware of that Verizon recommended it. Does it not close apps that are no longer needed and which may be draining battery? I will try not using it and see what happens.

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
ok will try that to see if it helps and no too dim to see but where is that done? That is different than Battery Saver whereby I can choose Maximum battery saver and has least auto updates? Right now I am on Nighttime Saver setting.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the power saving features but you should have a brightness setting in Setings>Display>Brightness

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
Thanks, on auto brightness now, I will try to adjust

brochaos

Reaction score
don't forget, your droid pro is a BEAST of a phone. it is about the equivalent of a 5 year old laptop. it WILL need to be charged just like a laptop. a 2 year old blackberry on the other hand is about as powerful as a 10 year old flip phone, so yea...

Stazik

Reaction score
the back of Droid Pro warms up quite a lot also`

Hi. My Droid's battery life also sucks. I would assume maximum of 6 hourse of constant use (emails, web browsing and occasional talks) or around 4 hours on the phone.
Generally I feel battery life is at least twice worse than on blackberry 9000.
Another issue: when I browse a lot a back of the phone starts to heat badly, you can literally feel it warming up. Do you experience the same issue? Maybe my Pro needs to go back to Verizon?

Stazik

Reaction score
don't forget, your droid pro is a BEAST of a phone. it is about the equivalent of a 5 year old laptop. it WILL need to be charged just like a laptop. a 2 year old blackberry on the other hand is about as powerful as a 10 year old flip phone, so yea...

Extremely nice comparison! LMAO!

mikeyman67

Reaction score
I have a Droid Incredible, so this tip may come in a different place on the Pro. In Settings under Wireless and Networks, Mobile Networks I unchecked the option or Always-On Data connection. This has had no negative effect and my battery life improved dramatically. Also, on the mail app, I have an Exchange server, Gmail and Yahoo. I set the polling frequency of Gmail and Yahoo to every hour (out of the box it was like 10 minutes). This helped too.

Widgets also can be sources of drain. I removed all but the clock and the weather (weather set to poll hourly).

You also should check to see if there is a program preventing the phone from sleeping. In Settings About Phone Battery the Droid INC gives Battery usage with Uptime and Awake time stats. My Uptime is 24:17 (time since last reboot) but awake of only 15:14. There is also a what has been using my battery window I find helpful.

I came from a Blackberry Storm2, which had slightly better battery life. The functionality of the Android platform is really in a class of its own. Its a laptop for your pocket. Some of the tips here can give you more life between charges, but its a reality that you will likely need a charger in more places than before (car/home/office). I have several chargers in key places. You never know.

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
Definitely a valid point but I would still expect more from the battery

Ranman448

Reaction score
I just came from a Tour as well. Was horrified by the battery life!

The battery life is no where near as good at the Tour, but then again, this thing has alot more processing power.

Saw a suggestion on-line about leaving WiFi off when not needed has helped. Leaving Bluetooth off and GPS also helps.

Dimming screen and reducing screen timeout to 2 minutes helped alot too.

Going to buy a couple of extra batteries and an external charger for sure... lol

Pretty happy with the Droid Pro so far. Only thing I hate is the notification LED does not work unless it is plugged in for charging, and screen has gone blank.

That in my opinion, really sucks. For what little battery they save by not using the notification led on battery it makes no sense at all.

Other than that and I keep hitting the screen when typing on the top row of keys, it is great phone.

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
Thanks MikeyMan - I also removed all widgets except weather and calendar. On Pro in Battery Manager (accessed from Settings) there is a Max battery saver mode that provides less frequent data connection - will try that to see if it works. Guess I will also need more power cords but I am concerned when I am travelling - perhaps extra battery or teh extended life when available?

OP
M

MitchE

Reaction score
Stazik - no heating issues for me - other than when charging - just battery life issues