Cell Standby Causing Battery Issues?

StingRay

Reaction score
I've been noticing that when looking at my Droid Pro's battery manager my cell standby battery use percentage is up around 15%....when I click on "cell standby" it then says time without a signal is 50%....this seems incredibly high...this may be a result of the building I'm in, but my original Droid was using around 2 to 4% battery usage in this same building...

I remember when using some different ROMs on my original Droid that some had cell standby issues that could cause battery problems...was usually something that was corrected with an update....

while my main issue with my Droid Pro is the exchange sync lag, I also have a real issue with the battery usage...absolutely horrible battery life, and I'm using an extended battery....

Anyone else having an issue with cell standby on their Pro?

jwgraves

Reaction score
I never even noticed this before. My standby time is at 13% and time without a signal is at 25%. Hard to believe I'm without a signal at 25% of the time! Don't know how that could possibly be since I've been in the same place pretty much all day.

OP
StingRay

StingRay

Reaction score
I was shocked when it said that I was without a signal for 50% of the time... that will tend to definitely eat away at the battery. Like you I don't see how I could be having that bad of signal problems. My original Droid had nothing like this and I was in the same building I am now..

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I've been noticing that when looking at my Droid Pro's battery manager my cell standby battery use percentage is up around 15%....when I click on "cell standby" it then says time without a signal is 50%....this seems incredibly high...this may be a result of the building I'm in, but my original Droid was using around 2 to 4% battery usage in this same building...

I remember when using some different ROMs on my original Droid that some had cell standby issues that could cause battery problems...was usually something that was corrected with an update....

while my main issue with my Droid Pro is the exchange sync lag, I also have a real issue with the battery usage...absolutely horrible battery life, and I'm using an extended battery....

Anyone else having an issue with cell standby on their Pro?
I have the same issue. I can be one mile from the Verizon tower all day and get a 50% reading. I don't know if that ready is true or if there is something else causing a false reading.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
For those having the 50% TWS reading. Try setting your wireless network to CDMA instead of Global. In Global mode your phone will still periodically attempt to find a GSM signal which will result in the radio reporting that it cannot find a signal if you are in the US.

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
For those having the 50% TWS reading. Try setting your wireless network to CDMA instead of Global. In Global mode your phone will still periodically attempt to find a GSM signal which will result in the radio reporting that it cannot find a signal if you are in the US.

I have mine set on CDMA and still get the 50% TWS reading. Granted, the building my office is in is a bit of a dead-zone, but I think I get similar readings when I'm in places with a rock-solid signal.

In my opinion, I think this issue may be a major contributor to the Droid Pro's terrible battery life.

OP
StingRay

StingRay

Reaction score
I too have had mine set to CDMA and "Home" rather than "Automatic" to try to help battery issues....

I think this is not only effecting battery issues, but may be one of the reasons the corporate exchange sync push is not consistent...if something is going on with the signal, then the email sync would definitely suffer....

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I've had mine set to CDMA since day one (Nov 14) and that doesn't seem to make a difference...still get 50% when I know that can't be right.

Droidpr0

Reaction score
If your not going to be on the phone much at the time just click airplane mode. Doesn't search for a signal and saves battery life extremely. After a while I stopped airplane mode completely and with the few apps im using I was able to get 30+ hours of normal use without having to charge

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
For the 50% without signal people.... update your roaming ussing *228. My d2g went from 50% to less than 10% without signal (my school has a large amount of tiny dead areas).

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
For the 50% without signal people.... update your roaming ussing *228. My d2g went from 50% to less than 10% without signal (my school has a large amount of tiny dead areas).

Sent from my Fissioned D2G
Been there, done that...doesn't make a difference on my Pro. Thanks though.

LT*

Reaction score
I've seen this on my D1 and wife's D2, I usually plug it in, put it in airplane mode for about 10 seconds, turn off airplane mode, and then disconnect the cord. Usually solves the issue for some time. Repeat if it comes back.

webenglar

Reaction score
If your not going to be on the phone much at the time just click airplane mode. Doesn't search for a signal and saves battery life extremely. After a while I stopped airplane mode completely and with the few apps im using I was able to get 30+ hours of normal use without having to charge

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Can you elaborate on which apps you used to get that much battery saving goodness?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My cell stand by is 13% but when I click on it there is no listing for time without signal. Just says it has been on for the same amount of time the phone has been on. I use a network extender at home not sure if that matters.