Cell Standby Using all the battery?

alm0614

Reaction score
Right now, i've been on battery(on 4g) for an hour and my phone is already at 80%..here's my battery stats:

Cell Standby- 39%
Phone Idle - 24%
Display-23%

everything else is small, <= 5%

Is this similar to what you are seeing or what? I don't get why the standby/idle are using the most battery.

don_droid

Reaction score
Mine is very similiar. I have switch to only using 4G when I really need it. Normally I keep it on 3G, plus I set the data updates to 30 min not always. That makes my battery consuption much less.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
Is that just going into wireless networks and changing it from LTE/CDMA to just CDMA... I really don't wanna do that, half the reason I bought this thing was for the 4G. How do you change the data update time?

yiannis

Reaction score
Get Juice Defender and set it to balanced. It will turn off the radio immediately after the thing goes to sleep and ensure that no background processes are using your radio. Some of them are battery hogs even when the thing is sleeping.

For advanced monitoring install the Battery Monitor Widget. The Circle battery Widget is more elegant and also accurate but only gives you percentages, not mA charging or discharging.

The only downside of juice defender is that it takes a second to gain an LTE signal once your screen is back on.

Last edited:

don_droid

Reaction score
Right switching to 3G is setting network to CDMA only. That is the biggest change to help the battery. 4G is really only needed for big data. Voice is normally done over 3G network. Plus, for email and simple data apps 3G is quite fast for that.

Under Battery and Data manager you select data saver or data delivery. Under data deliver you can go into social apps and they set it to 30 min. You can find others places like in Yahoo or other apps to turn off notifications and other ways. Plus you can buy some battery apps to do all of this. I have not bought any of those yet.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
For the social apps, that just does facebook/twitter/etc right? doesn't turn off push for gmail?

don_droid

Reaction score
Right, but it is a start. You can turn off Gmail and Yahoo notifications, but I assume they still go up to look for new items. You will have to go to each of the mail apps to get into their settings to find the turn off notification.