Droid Insurance? yay or nay?

sraider

Reaction score
I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.

Yeh did mine with my homeowners insurance mine was $15 for a year but I have a $100 deductible Covers theft, damage or lost

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
$7.99/mo to cover yourself. Yes, in long run that's a bit, but not as mich if you have your phone replaces twice, etc. within your two year period and only pay $89 each time vs the full unsub price.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I made a post breaking down the insuranse/warranty packages.

There is also an outside insurance provider that I also included in the post.

You could have done a search to get some information on insurance/warranties before making a new thread.

That being said.

I agree with another poster. The $6.00 plan should be more than sufficient. You get your one year manfac warranty with the Asurion insurance, billed to your phone. This covers any defects the phone might have from the manufac for the first year under the warranty and you have coverage in case you dump it in the toilet, run it over with a car or someone decides to pick it up off your coffee table(those scenarios would be covered under the insurance).

I went with the $7.99 to extend my manufac warranty to a second year and here is why: Let's say it just stops working at month 15. I can take it into Verizon and since I have the extended warranty in year two, and there is no physical/water damage to my phone, they'll most likely swap me out with a certified like new phone and I didn't have to pay the $89 deductible from my insurance.

I don't know, with such an expensive device, I would rather be prepared.

cc16177

Reaction score
Without even reading anything on this thread except the title this is what i'm going to say in response to the posters question.

Who the HELL wouldn't pay $8 a month to protect a potentially $600 device that you take EVERYWHERE with you. I work in a retail environment and I watch some people make some pretty stupid decisions sometimes when it comes to NOT putting warranties on certain items, but this takes the cake.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Without even reading anything on this thread except the title this is what i'm going to say in response to the posters question.

Who the HELL wouldn't pay $8 a month to protect a potentially $600 device that you take EVERYWHERE with you. I work in a retail environment and I watch some people make some pretty stupid decisions sometimes when it comes to NOT putting warranties on certain items, but this takes the cake.

Don't confuse warranty with insuranc, they are different.

cc16177

Reaction score
Oh and i love people who say "well if it's going to have problems they will probably be in the first year anyways". I want to know where people get the idea that if something works for the first year it's good to go from then on. WTF? Jesus christ... this is a COMPUTER that is crammed into the shell of a phone, and like I mentioned in my above post, you take it everywhere!!

I don't know maybe i'm just ranting but seriously people, anyone who has that mentality clearly has either never owned any electronics before, have really good luck, or they are just dumb.

Dave Droid

Reaction score
Yeah I would recommend it. Even if you know your good with your stuff, you can get a new phone for 7.99 compared to the 500 +/- full phone price you would have to pay.

Keep in mind though that when you root your phone and you don't know how to restore it back or you can't restore it back, chances are your warrantee and your insurance will be voided.

LS&N

Reaction score
I bit

I followed up a previous posters lead about ProtectCell coverage
Went to the T-Mobile kiosk and bought it for $70/year and $50 deductible
Next day FedEx replacements

There is no time limit since you bought phone or from whom
The coverage doesn't kick in for a month, makes sense

Hope I never have to use it...

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I talked to four reps from ProtectCell who said you have to start the insurance within 30 days of purchase. Hrm.

justjered

Reaction score
I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.

Well thats good to know... Will have to call my agent! Hopefully they cover it unlike the hole in the side of my car from something flying up and hitting my door while driving (they insist it is a colision, I disagree... $0 deductable on comp and $500 on colision is a big difference to me!)

As for insurance... Here's my thoughts... You have a phone for 2 years to fulfill your contract with Verizon... $6.00 (plus tax Im sure) times 24 months... Is... $144... The replacement droid is what $599 or something crazy without a contract. however most times Verizon will honor a 1 year contract price on a replacement if you screw your other one up... Just this moment the price online is $269 for a 1 year contract.

My issue with it is... Yes, $144 to know you have a new phone sitting there (plus your $50 deductable) and you dont get a new phone, you get a referb! PERIOD Verizon always does it.... Which really sucks imo! You buy a new phone and it stops working the next day for some reason... you get a referb to replace it (nothing like a $299 refurb!). anyways, So is it better off spending $144 and never using it (makes the price of your phone seem a lot higher) or if you do end up using it... you get a used phone for a whopping total of $194 (a 2 year payment of insurance) and yes you can use it more then once (so break the phone a couple times to get your money out of it! just pay your deducable! LOL) or do you just have $269 sitting in the bank for the Gee Wizzz if it happens moment...

I dont know I personally have NEVER had insurance on any phone... not even my iphone... Who knows hopefully I wont be removing my foot from my mouth in time but just my option.

LS&N

Reaction score

I talked to four reps from ProtectCell who said you have to start the insurance within 30 days of purchase. Hrm.

My agent told me he sold a policy to someone he knows that had already killed their phone
Had to wait a month but got another phone for $50

They never asked me when I had purchased it, just took my $$

M

Matth3w

Hey guys, I am wondering if it is worth it to get Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month? If I DON'T get it and my phone has a problem with it (i.e: a key isn't working, screen won't lit, etc), am I screwed? If I do get it and I want to replace it cause of some faulty issue, will I get a brand new one, not refurb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I always get the insurance. It's always been great for me. Even getting pushed into a pool by a drunken idiot (and yes I told Asurion that) was covered.

There are two things I buy warranties on - phones and cars. That's it.

I bought mine unlocked, so it's extra important for me to have every bit of coverage I can.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

My agent told me he sold a policy to someone he knows that had already killed their phone
Had to wait a month but got another phone for $50

They never asked me when I had purchased it, just took my $$

This is very interesting indeed. I have to look further into this.