Adding insurance

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Well, I decided I had better add insurance to the Droid (considering what happened to my wifes phone last week). She has insurance on her centro, but at this point I don't think it's worth the $50 to replace the phone, so I just gave her my old one.

So anyway, I called Verizon to see about removing insurance from my wifes phone and adding it to my phone. Unfortunately, I'm 10 days beyond my 30 day worry free period. The CS rep said she would petition to have insurance added, and IF they allow it, it would not be through Asurion, but instead I would have to go through a Verizon store or call Verizon for my replacement. If I'm not mistaken, this pretty much ensures that I will get a brand new phone instead of a refurb if I go into the store for replacement right? Do they stock refurbs at the stores?

She also gave my the option of $6.99/mo for insurance only or $8.99/mo insurance + factory extended warranty. Apparently, the insurance does not cover manufacturer defects, so if it stops working after one year without any physical or water damage, insurance will not replace it. I thought this was a bit odd for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I'll know by this afternoon if they allow me to add the insurance.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
She also gave my the option of $6.99/mo for insurance only or $8.99/mo insurance + factory extended warranty. Apparently, the insurance does not cover manufacturer defects, so if it stops working after one year without any physical or water damage, insurance will not replace it. I thought this was a bit odd for obvious reasons.

Funny you mention this. I just got off the phone with Verizon, since I am still within my 30 days I thought I'd better add some insurance to it. I was a bit perplexed also what exactly I was getting for the extra 2 dollars a month so I had to ask my rep straight up "so with the cheaper plan, if it gets lost or damaged I get a replacement right?" answer was yes and that's all I needed to know. I have a feeling if the my phone has a manufacturer defect in month 14 of ownership it'd probably just fall out of my pocket on the freeway and be damaged beyond all recognition...

JamesX

Reaction score
I was talking to the Verizon Tech Support on the phone last week (getting my DROID replaced) and he said that I can change my Insurance Option at any time.

Not sure why your support makes it sound so difficult.

The Insurance Verizon Offered me on the phone covers anything. Including you bashing your phone in with a hammer or it being stolen. But it has $85 Deductible and I think you are limited to 3 exchanges within 12 month period or something.

This is from memory so might not be exactly accurate.

OP
MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I was talking to the Verizon Tech Support on the phone last week (getting my DROID replaced) and he said that I can change my Insurance Option at any time.

Not sure why your support makes it sound so difficult.

The Insurance Verizon Offered me on the phone covers anything. Including you bashing your phone in with a hammer or it being stolen. But it has $85 Deductible and I think you are limited to 3 exchanges within 12 month period or something.

This is from memory so might not be exactly accurate.

All that info sounds pretty accurate. You can change your insurance at any time, but I don't think you can add it except within the first 30 days of ownership (which is kinda dumb I think). If you already have insurance, you can change or cancel it at any time.

I found out the hard way that you can only get 3 replacements in a year. I got 2 Moto E815's and an LG XV6800 all within a fairly short period of time. After replacing the LG, they cancelled my policy...LOL

Low Saturn

Reaction score
Do you have to call in to add the insurance or can it be done on-line? I looked around on the website and couldnt find anything.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
Do you have to call in to add the insurance or can it be done on-line? I looked around on the website and couldnt find anything.

If there's somewhere on-line to add it, I didn't find it. I finally gave up looking and called. It was quick and easy to add it though.