DROID Incredible vs. Thunderbolt vs. Apple iPhone

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
Have any Android users out there made the switch from the Incredible to the new (what is apparently the replacement to the Incredible) Thunderbolt? If so, why, and are you noticing the supposed "changes" (other than the noticeably larger screen) in comparison to be positive?
Would you say it's better, worse, a step up or on about the same level?
Is the upgraded processor that much better, and is there much of a difference between Froyo 2.0 & 2.1 which the Thunderbolt claims to be running?
I must admit, the new features & specs sound intriguing (the larger, better quality screen, FF camera, pop-out kickstand, faster Snapdragon processor, included 32gb memory card, the ability to tether without rooting or hotspot, and slimmer, less lumpy design, to name a few..).
Secondly, since the option became available, I was going to go for the iPhone but I really don't want to part with Android OS. I do like to learn new phones and OS, but with Android it's an OS I can say I really like and is close to being worked out to as perfect as a phone OS can be expected to run. Compared to the frequent kinks of BB, (supposedly) Apple, Samsung, etc it has the best interface with Sense UI and the least flaws within the system (speaking from personal experience), so I'm hesitant to switch to yet another unfamiliar brand and OS that could potentially be terrible. I've had 2 Android powered phones and have enjoyed them both and found the overall experience to be so much more enjoyable than any other phone so far. I'm just really curious about and have always wanted an iPhone for several of it's features & apps that you won't find on any other phone, and now that its on VZW, I kinda want to give it a shot. But giving up DROID kinda feels like giving up a big sense of security...
Any opinions/personal experiences?

Sent from my DROID Incredible using DroidForums

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
If you can, hold out a bit longer for a new phone. There's more coming down the line. I have the Inc, I bought my wife the Verizon iPhone. They are both great phones. The Thunderbolt is definitely faster than the Inc and it is actually a new Sense on it, not a new Froyo. The new Sense is pretty nice, I'm running it on my Incredible now. Rotating homescreen is one of the biggest changes.

The iPhone is nice, definitely a different kind of thing. but good in its own right. I haven't jailbroken yet, but know several that have that are very impressed with their customization options.

The Thunderbolt is very fast on the 4G if you have a connection. The battery can go away quickly, so that's a drawback. Quality of build seems to overall be good and it can be overclocked by a large margin.

Next few months show several coming down the line that will be good or better. I was trying to stay HTC but am really watching the Samsung Galaxy S2. It looks like the next real phone to have. You also will see the Incredible 2 coming out in about a month. Still a 3G phone, but with the Thunderbolt's processor, the new Sense and a 4.0" screen instead of 4.3". A hair larger than our Inc but a bit slimmer, believe it or not.

That should give you a good basic rundown.

OP
little.miss.ink

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
How are you running the new Sense UI on your Incredible? Rooted?
And if the Incredible 2 is going to have the same processor as Thunderbolt but with a smaller screen, I'd probably go for the latter :) do you have to pay extra for 4G? Still not too clear on how that works... but lately the Incredible has been lagging a LOT. I really love how DROID backs everything up to my Google account and has Facebook basically built-in to the Sense UI & phonebook.
I'm waiting until my birthday at the end of May. I'm already OOC, but I'm gonna play with the iPhone too. Maybe I'll try it for the 2-week grace period. Thanks for your feedback!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Yup, I'm rooted on the Inc. Did it within the first couple of months of getting it. Best thing I ever did. If I wasn't looking at the Samsung, the Inc 2 was top of my list. The battery reviews are looking good. If you go to the HTC website, look up the Incredible S and that is the exact same phone as the Incredible 2. Very good looking unit and think you would be happy with it. At the moment 4G is the same price as 3G but there is speculation it will cost more when it is all said and done. No one is sure when it will shift out.

Definitely try all of the phones and see what fits you the best. My wife never cared for smartphones but absolutely loves the iPhone. It's a win win situation with whatever you pick, in my opinion.

OP
little.miss.ink

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
And the Samsung phones run Android OS? I think if I tried to root my phone I'd fry it :\ lol
I'd love to be running the new UI though!!

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Rooting the Inc really isn't bad at all. And yes, the new Samsung is on Android as well. Probably will release with Gingerbread and their newest version of Touchwiz, their version of Sense like HTC has.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Yup, I'm rooted on the Inc. Did it within the first couple of months of getting it. Best thing I ever did. If I wasn't looking at the Samsung, the Inc 2 was top of my list. The battery reviews are looking good. If you go to the HTC website, look up the Incredible S and that is the exact same phone as the Incredible 2. Very good looking unit and think you would be happy with it. At the moment 4G is the same price as 3G but there is speculation it will cost more when it is all said and done. No one is sure when it will shift out.

Definitely try all of the phones and see what fits you the best. My wife never cared for smartphones but absolutely loves the iPhone. It's a win win situation with whatever you pick, in my opinion.

Hello,

What Rom are you using that has the new Sense?

Thanks

khw1959

Reaction score
I had the Thunderbolt in my hand and was able to directly compare side by side in operation. I could not discern much any difference in my use of them related for my use. I do like the bigger screen on the TB. But I do not skype so the second camera(facing) would not be utilized by me. But If you do Skype it is better than the Inc. I liked the TB but not enough to switch to it. But a power user would like it.
I did some Downloads at the same time with the T/B on 4G and the Inc on 3G. I could not tell much difference.

OP
little.miss.ink

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
So, now I don't have the luxury of time. My 100 lb dog stepped on my phone, on the corner of it, so that general upper area of the screen is, to say the least, cracked. It's such bullsh*t to have insurance when the deductible has been hiked up to (i think) $120 for smartphones and air cards.. even though I'm OOC and planning to get a new phone anyway, the deductible for an Incredible would cost more than a brand-new iPhone! Verizon are such crooks, they are the most expensive wireless company out there by far... /sidenote

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to try the iPhone for the 2-week trial time and then more than likely miss Android too much and get the Thunderbolt, haha. Who knows, I may love the iPhone but the Thunderbolt seems to have everything I want in a phone, plus I know & love Androids OS.

Quick question, does Apple's contacts system work anything like the DROID's does? Meaning, you can import them from your e-mail account and not have to worry about doing it manually or going into a store to have it done?
Thank you everybody for your feedback!

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Hello,

What Rom are you using that has the new Sense?

Thanks

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. I'm using NilS Business Rom with the new Sense. Pulled it off of XDA Forums.

OP
little.miss.ink

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
So, now I don't have the luxury of time. My 100 lb dog stepped on my phone, on the corner of it, so that general upper area of the screen is, to say the least, cracked. It's such bullsh*t to have insurance when the deductible has been hiked up to (i think) upwards of $120 for smartphones and air cards.. even though I'm OOC and planning to get a new phone anyway, the deductible for an Incredible would cost more than a brand-new iPhone! Verizon are such crooks, they are the most expensive wireless company out there by far... /sidenote

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to try the iPhone for the 2-week trial time and then more than likely miss Android too much and get the Thunderbolt, haha. Who knows, I may love the iPhone but the Thunderbolt seems to have everything I want in a phone, plus I know & love Androids OS.

Quick question, does Apple's contacts system work anything like the DROID's does? Meaning, you can import them from your e-mail account and not have to worry about doing it manually or going into a store to have it done?

I literally have to decide by tomorrow... please help, fellow DROIDers! I need answers before I decide to leave DROID or not.
:)

Last edited:

illmatic636

Reaction score
LittleMissInk,

I would definitely hold off on buying the iPhone since it's rumored that iPhone 5 will be out towards the end of the summer. On the 4G network. I just bought a used Dinc to play with until Bionic is out. iPhone 4 on Verizon was put out prematurely.

Don't let the silky smooth UI fool you. No Voice and data at the same time:-( deal breaker..

Last edited:

Spikezilla

Reaction score
My girlfriend got the TB and I have the DInc, I have played around with TB quite a bit and is very smooth and fast. Everything just seems to be a little snappier and the new version is Sense has a few new features that I liked.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
Buy a used Incredible. (Craigslist?) There are some great phones coming and I am really leaning toward Incredible 2.

I tried the Thunderbolt and it was a bit heavy and bulky, but my job had a lot to do with my decision.

I like a lighter phone and a 4" screen + Gingerbread will be sweet.

azfreak

Reaction score
So, now I don't have the luxury of time. My 100 lb dog stepped on my phone, on the corner of it, so that general upper area of the screen is, to say the least, cracked. It's such bullsh*t to have insurance when the deductible has been hiked up to (i think) upwards of $120 for smartphones and air cards.. even though I'm OOC and planning to get a new phone anyway, the deductible for an Incredible would cost more than a brand-new iPhone! Verizon are such crooks, they are the most expensive wireless company out there by far... /sidenote

I literally have to decide by tomorrow... please help, fellow DROIDers! I need answers before I decide to leave DROID or not.
:)

yes the contacts are very easily shifted to the iphone. all you do is plug into itunes and you can sync with your gmail contacts and it takes 2 seconds. hope this helps