Droid HAS to send ringtones... HELP!?!

aacanela73

Reaction score
First check the size of your ringtones that you created they might be to big. There is also settings in your phone for the size limit that you can send for the MMS messages. Try chomp it has been working so far so good. I posted about this issue about three weeks ago and didn't get nearly the responce you did. Guess I needed to use big letters and !!!!! to get such a responce. Just take and start your text then hit the menu and attach. Handcent and chomp will let you attach video, pictures, and audio but you do have to keep it under the size limit for the phone and your carrier because I know that verizon does have a limit on the size of the MMS messages sent.
When I try to attach audio, all I get to choose is the stock ringtones. Which also don't get received.
What app are you using? try chomp I have worked with both Handcent and chomp for a couple of weeks each and do like chomp better.
after you select your contact click on the message box hit menu and attach it should give you a selection of all of the ringtones you have on your phone, not just the stock ones.

kjrussell

Reaction score
when u go inot handcent sms u select a person who u would like to send the tone to.

hit the option button

click attach

and then click audio

u have to make sure that the ringtone is in the ringtone folders in order to send them.

and i havent had any issues with sending my ringtones. they are aprox. 30 sec long which is the length of a normal ringtones. i have not tryed to send songs so im not sure if they do work. but i was under the impression that people wanted to send ringtones not songs.

So for me it worked great with my 32 second ringtone.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I had installed Rings Extended, which allowed handcent to see all the ring tones, not just the stock ones.

Whenever it came up, I had to choose the Rings Extended or the stock app. I accidentally chose the stock app, AND hit the default before doing it. So now I don;t know how to "un-default" it.

kjrussell

Reaction score
it has to be somewere in the options or the setting for handcent app. at this point of time my phone is dead (i use it alot). but when i do get a chance to charge it ill look to see how to un default it.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
i went into the "Market"
Clicked on apps
search for "Handcent sms"
its pretty much an app for text messaging that changed the views into bubbles like u would see on the iphone.

Its an awesome app because u can cutomize it, but the best thing about it, is that while in the text box, hit the option button.

hit attatch and u can send audio now.

I have the ringdroid app on my phone, so my husband, who uses a blackberry, customizes his ringtones and can now send them over to his phone.:icon_ banana:

..... Where have you been?
I've already talked about handcent, and how it may look pretty WILL NOT send any file of significance. I can send a "ring notification" that I made on Ringdroid because the file size is SOOO SMALL.

Handcent is worthless in my opinion, I just use Astro to send by e-mail now because the DROID can't send any ringtones that have any significant length/size (data).

your being a little harsh.the default messing app won't send mp3 files at all. actually verizon has been blocking any mp3 messages I have sent.it also will delete .ogg files from messages which the droid uses for default ringtones.

I noticed you can send an email to you phone via the [email protected] with an mp3 and when you get the message on your phone you can forward it. this means there is a possible workaround but we will need to find the special meta data or the data of conversion on the files that allows it to bypass the verizon filters.

we could then implement tdd into handcent. the only downside is that the files are usually down converted to less than one megabyte.

its something I plan to help test and get added to handcent. but most of those limitations are because of the verizon network not handcent.

I'm working with the guy to improve handcent but its going to take some time. there are a lot of things that need to be added to it still, handcent had a long way to go before the developer will be happy with it.

so yeah if you give it some time it will get better. have you tried the handcent greetings feature? you can find a online library of animated images and put them straight in your messages right from thee phone. I don't know any other messaging app that does something that kool. and its free.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I just noticed that ringtone did work for me ad well. the music option in rings extended did not work but the select music option in rings extended did work.

when I use the music option I would never receive the sent message. this is probably an incompatibility between handcent and rings extended.

large mp3 can work but we need handcent to convert them if they are too long. this will result in less quality but is the only way to get verizon network to accept it.its better than nothing.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I had installed Rings Extended, which allowed handcent to see all the ring tones, not just the stock ones.

Whenever it came up, I had to choose the Rings Extended or the stock app. I accidentally chose the stock app, AND hit the default before doing it. So now I don;t know how to "un-default" it.

you have to go to the home setting (menu), setting, application, manage application, menu button again, then filter, select all, select "android system" (i assuming thats the one you made a default), click clear default. This will undo it as a 'default'

ntrddragn

Reaction score
this thread got me curious about sending mp3 as ringtone on handcent but when i go to attach a file it only show the default audio that is on the droid not on my sd card. am i missing something here?

edited: lockman, i have ringdroid but dont see the ringdroid option when i hit attached.

nevermind...lockman.
I am having the same issue. It looks like you figured it out. What did you do to get it to look at audio other than the stock audio?

hey sorry..i missed your question...i used ringdroid and create a clip and saved it. it will make a ringtone folder on your sd card and save the clip..and when you use handcent to attached the audio it will show up along with all the default ones.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
First check the size of your ringtones that you created they might be to big. There is also settings in your phone for the size limit that you can send for the MMS messages. Try chomp it has been working so far so good. I posted about this issue about three weeks ago and didn't get nearly the responce you did. Guess I needed to use big letters and !!!!! to get such a responce. Just take and start your text then hit the menu and attach. Handcent and chomp will let you attach video, pictures, and audio but you do have to keep it under the size limit for the phone and your carrier because I know that verizon does have a limit on the size of the MMS messages sent.
Where are these settings???

when u go inot handcent sms u select a person who u would like to send the tone to.

hit the option button

click attach

and then click audio

u have to make sure that the ringtone is in the ringtone folders in order to send them.

and i havent had any issues with sending my ringtones. they are aprox. 30 sec long which is the length of a normal ringtones. i have not tryed to send songs so im not sure if they do work. but i was under the impression that people wanted to send ringtones not songs.

So for me it worked great with my 32 second ringtone.
Odd that it works for you.

I tried the idea of using astro to send via email (thanks, never saw that option until reading it here) and it worked for sending the ringtone. However when my wife got it on her Eris, there was the option to "preview" the file but not to save it. I notice this on my droid, so not only can we not send ringtones but evidently we can't save them either (nor videos that come in an email). Any fixes on that one?

User_Name

Reaction score
I still see a lot of confusion or some still having problems and thought I would share how and what apps I use to send ringtones to my friends/family.

I know several have already mentioned Handcent and ringdroid. I will start from the beginning including how I get the ringtone.

On my Droid I use Imusic to download songs to my phone.

On my Desktop I use Limewire to download songs( I only download MP3 format) I then transfer them to my phone. Instead of plugging my phone directly into my desktop via the usb cable (your choice how you do this) My computer has a card reader so I just plug my card into the adaptor I purchased from Verizon and plug it into my desktop.

From here I drag and drop all the songs I want onto the card, I have a lot of songs on my phone because I use it as an MP3 player as well. You can also organize all of your picture's, Create folders etc..

Now Download Ringdroid and Handcent app. (And Imusic if you want to download songs right to your phone)

Open Ringdroid. When the app opens ALL of your songs will be available on the home screen for your to pick from. Pick a song, The software will let you crop a certain length of the song so slide the bar to where you want the start and finish to be.(around 15s)

When completed hit the save tab( looks like a floppy disk). It will give you the option to save as a ringtone, Music, Alarm, Notification and also change the file name. Save as a Ringtone if you want to send to others.

Once you have saved the file open Handcent and select the person to receive the ringtone, Hit the menu button on your phone and select attach then "Audio". It will pull up all the ringtones you have saved using Ringdroid ( It also has all the pre-loaded ringtones to select from as well.)

Attach then send and you are done!!

Broken down it looks complicated but once you do this its actually quite simple.

I have had no issue's doing it this way.

I am not a literature major so please keep your negative comments to your self if this is not up to your standards, I'm only trying to help as the others.

Last edited:
OP
N

NastyNate08

Reaction score
Pick a song, The software will only let you crop a certain length of the song so slide the bar to where you want the start and finish to be.

False,
Ringdroid will let me make a longer ring tone if you want... Slide over to the right side of your "selection" and just move the ending directional slider to the right... It will lengthen the size of your ringtone.

I don't know ANY song that will fit in Ringdroid 10-15 sec. default size......

If that is the length/size of a ringtone I can only make that will ACTUALLY SEND! THAT IS CRAP!!!! What ringtone can only be 15 seconds long? LAME!!!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still see a lot of confusion or some still having problems and thought I would share how and what apps I use to send ringtones to my friends/family.

I know several have already mentioned Handcent and ringdroid. I will start from the beginning including how I get the ringtone.

On my Droid I use Imusic to download songs to my phone.

On my Desktop I use Limewire to download songs( I only download MP3 format) I then transfer them to my phone. Instead of plugging my phone directly into my desktop via the usb cable (your choice how you do this) My computer has a card reader so I just plug my card into the adaptor I purchased from Verizon and plug it into my desktop.

From here I drag and drop all the songs I want onto the card, I have a lot of songs on my phone because I use it as an MP3 player as well. You can also organize all of your picture's, Create folders etc..

Now Download Ringdroid and Handcent app. (And Imusic if you want to download songs right to your phone)

Open Ringdroid. When the app opens ALL of your songs will be available on the home screen for your to pick from. Pick a song, The software will only let you crop a certain length of the song so slide the bar to where you want the start and finish to be.

When completed hit the save tab( looks like a floppy disk). It will give you the option to save as a ringtone, Music, Alarm, Notification and also change the file name. Save as a Ringtone if you want to send to others.

Once you have saved the file open Handcent and select the person to receive the ringtone, Hit the menu button on your phone and select attach then "Audio". It will pull up all the ringtones you have saved using Ringdroid ( It also has all the pre-loaded ringtones to select from as well.)

Attach then send and you are done!!

Broken down it looks complicated but once you do this its actually quite simple.

I have had no issue's doing it this way.

I am not a literature major so please keep your negative comments to your self if this is not up to your standards, I'm only trying to help as the others.
Thanks for the detailed instructions on sending ring tones through Handcent, but I believe this was covered previously in this thread. If you look closely, it's not an issue of not knowing how, but rather that Handcent says that the file size is too large to send the ring tone (or any video for that matter).

Pick a song, The software will only let you crop a certain length of the song so slide the bar to where you want the start and finish to be.

False,
Ringdroid will let me make a longer ring tone if you want... Slide over to the right side of your "selection" and just move the ending directional slider to the right... It will lengthen the size of your ringtone.

I don't know ANY song that will fit in Ringdroid 10-15 sec. default size......

If that is the length/size of a ringtone I can only make that will ACTUALLY SEND! THAT IS CRAP!!!! What ringtone can only be 15 seconds long? LAME!!!
You're right in that you can lengthen and shorten which part of the song you want to create as the ring tone. I guess that maybe you can message a ring tone IF it's only 10 seconds or less, but as you mention, then why would you bother?

Last edited:

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that you can use rings extended to see all files with handcent, but you still need to only use 30 seconds or less.don't use the "music"option in rings extended because I didn't work right. use the "select music track"option. it does the same thing anyway... this is useful of your clips don't show up in your ringtone list.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
to answer your question, I think the dev needs to increase the size limit on messages.this could cause problems for users on other networks though if he can't detect the network you use. I think there are struck limits by verizon when sending mp3 files. I think it has to be below 1MB .this only applies to mms messages. that's why it works when you send to emails and such.

User_Name

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didnt mean to put the "Only" In there, And yes only 15 seconds blows.

Edit: I have had to use a converter on my computer to lower the HZ and kBPS, This allowed me to make longer ringtones.

Last edited: