Droid HAS to send ringtones... HELP!?!

geronimogman

Reaction score
im not sure if the samsung rogue can rename file and their extension but i guess for the meantime..you can rename your ringtone clip from .mp3 to .mp4. this way you fool handcent/ or phone into thinking its a video. and attached the file as a 'video' and send. when it arrived on the rogue, it ask to save the file (?), save the file and rename it to .mp3. again im not sure if the rogue will let you rename it since i never had it but its might be an alternative until this problem is solve. hope that helps.
man i thought this plan was genious til i tried it, it turns out the person you send it to cant open it because of the resolution being to large which is ridiculous, and as for those of you having the handcent issues its because the file you are trying to send is more than 300 kb, thats the max, well 299 really but I hate handcent but looks like im going to have to convert...hope i helped

eap369

Reaction score
hear me out

ever since i got the phone this is one of the problems ive encountered. there is no way that im aware of in sending the mp3 as mms. ive tried renaming them, making the size under 250kb just to see if that was the issue. i caled motorola and verizon and both have informed me its not an option which makes no sense when u can send a video which is a larger size. ive asked a verizon tech at a store who new everything i asked him and also informed me, if u select the audion file handcent gives u for audio which r the default ones, it still wont work, ive tried it. if someone has any info on how to please let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!

geronimogman

Reaction score
it showed my custom ringtones on my sd card because i have them in my ringtones folder on my droid, if u justt choose the use as ringtone option from music on ur phone im not sure it will do it, but mine show up fine its just sendin em that is a pain but handcent looks like its the winner. i allready switched cool led changing colors though, just such an ugly widget

ntrddragn

Reaction score
im not sure if the samsung rogue can rename file and their extension but i guess for the meantime..you can rename your ringtone clip from .mp3 to .mp4. this way you fool handcent/ or phone into thinking its a video. and attached the file as a 'video' and send. when it arrived on the rogue, it ask to save the file (?), save the file and rename it to .mp3. again im not sure if the rogue will let you rename it since i never had it but its might be an alternative until this problem is solve. hope that helps.
man i thought this plan was genious til i tried it, it turns out the person you send it to cant open it because of the resolution being to large which is ridiculous, and as for those of you having the handcent issues its because the file you are trying to send is more than 300 kb, thats the max, well 299 really but I hate handcent but looks like im going to have to convert...hope i helped

that's odd...I tested sent on bb and another droid both received it. But only the droid was able to rename the extension the bb couldn't but it was still able to play it.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I made a quick 5 second ringtone and saved it as a notification (like a TXT notification) and I tried to email it to an EnV-touch. I also tried renaming mp3 to mp4 and sending it as a text.

The phone stripped the attachment from the email, and there was no way to play it from the Multi-media she received.

I guess I'll have to DL Handcent.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
this thread got me curious about sending mp3 as ringtone on handcent but when i go to attach a file it only show the default audio that is on the droid not on my sd card. am i missing something here?

edited: lockman, i have ringdroid but dont see the ringdroid option when i hit attached.

nevermind...lockman.
I am having the same issue. It looks like you figured it out. What did you do to get it to look at audio other than the stock audio?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
get "Rings Extended" from the market, its free. It basically replaces the default menu that shows up when you pick notifications, ringtones etc... It allows you to choose any file instead of just the default sounds. It works anywhere you would normally get to the sounds/notification list.

It works great in combination with RingDroid, another free app on the market.

snowman

Reaction score
I think I remember reading that files are blocked for uploading but not to download them
by VZW that is not a problem just simply blocked at least I'm pretty sure this is what I read here
someone will chime in and tell me if I'm crazy
if it were me I'd put it on the SD card and load it on the computer mounted and then send it via mail or what ever

kjrussell

Reaction score
i finally found it!

i went into the "Market"
Clicked on apps
search for "Handcent sms"
its pretty much an app for text messaging that changed the views into bubbles like u would see on the iphone.

Its an awesome app because u can cutomize it, but the best thing about it, is that while in the text box, hit the option button.

hit attatch and u can send audio now.

I have the ringdroid app on my phone, so my husband, who uses a blackberry, customizes his ringtones and can now send them over to his phone.:icon_ banana:

OP
N

NastyNate08

Reaction score
i went into the "Market"
Clicked on apps
its pretty much an app for text messaging that changed the views into bubbles like u would see on the iphone.

Its an awesome app because u can cutomize it, but the best thing about it, is that while in the text box, hit the option button.

I have the ringdroid app on my phone, so my husband, who uses a blackberry, customizes his ringtones and can now send them over to his phone.:icon_ banana:

..... Where have you been?
I've already talked about handcent, and how it may look pretty WILL NOT send any file of significance. I can send a "ring notification" that I made on Ringdroid because the file size is SOOO SMALL.

Handcent is worthless in my opinion, I just use Astro to send by e-mail now because the DROID can't send any ringtones that have any significant length/size (data).

aacanela73

Reaction score
First check the size of your ringtones that you created they might be to big. There is also settings in your phone for the size limit that you can send for the MMS messages. Try chomp it has been working so far so good. I posted about this issue about three weeks ago and didn't get nearly the responce you did. Guess I needed to use big letters and !!!!! to get such a responce. Just take and start your text then hit the menu and attach. Handcent and chomp will let you attach video, pictures, and audio but you do have to keep it under the size limit for the phone and your carrier because I know that verizon does have a limit on the size of the MMS messages sent.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I tried emailing a 6second ring notification I made to an LG 8300 and an LG EnV Touch. Both stripped the attachment.

What am I doing wrong? Obviously some of you are able to send ringtones.

aacanela73

Reaction score
i went into the "Market"
Clicked on apps

..... Where have you been?
I've already talked about handcent, and how it may look pretty WILL NOT send any file of significance. I can send a "ring notification" that I made on Ringdroid because the file size is SOOO SMALL.

Handcent is worthless in my opinion, I just use Astro to send by e-mail now because the DROID can't send any ringtones that have any significant length/size (data).
Check your settings you may have it set to send smaller amounts of data.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
First check the size of your ringtones that you created they might be to big. There is also settings in your phone for the size limit that you can send for the MMS messages. Try chomp it has been working so far so good. I posted about this issue about three weeks ago and didn't get nearly the responce you did. Guess I needed to use big letters and !!!!! to get such a responce. Just take and start your text then hit the menu and attach. Handcent and chomp will let you attach video, pictures, and audio but you do have to keep it under the size limit for the phone and your carrier because I know that verizon does have a limit on the size of the MMS messages sent.
When I try to attach audio, all I get to choose is the stock ringtones. Which also don't get received.