DROID Eris Receiving Update July 16th

Ericbphoto

Reaction score
Update is working great for me. Phone seems just a touch more responsive. And yes it does actually boot faster now. Nice to see us Eris folks haven't been forgotten. Now if we could just get some Froyo love.

Fletchi18

Reaction score
The last time we applied an update to my wife's phone, it wiped the device (that was for 2.1, so it might just wipe for some of the major updates). Does this update reset any settings?

RCFlyn

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting my apps and things back in place, and so far, all seems good. I especially like the "Pinch the Home Screen" to navigate through the home pages.
But, so far, I've only had ONE "Force Close".
I don't notice any speed differences tho...

Blayzejlm

Reaction score
Is there a way to force the update to the phone? My friend had it and she went to click on it to DL it and an error message came up. Now the update isn't there anymore.

lesead

Reaction score
Ever since I got this update, I can no longer upload photos to Facebook. Haven't tried uploading elsewhere. But that alone is very frustrating!

drdave

Reaction score
Yep. Every day something else is screwed up. Sometimes the screen closes during a phone call and it is not possible to, for example, turn on the speaker. Or go to the contact list. And sometimes the screen will go back on by pressing the trackball. Sometimes the processor just can't keep up with browsing or looking up contacts. Windows freeze. Sometimes it sends text to the wrong contact (yes, we are sure). Hard resets, replacements phones, tried them all, yadayada. As one of the techs I've talked to said, the Eris wasn't really ready when released and it isn't up to the tasks promised by HTC and Verizon. Verizon would do well to let those of us who were Eris guinea pigs trade up early for a reduced price - to an Android phone that at least does what it is promised to do.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep. Every day something else is screwed up. Sometimes the screen closes during a phone call and it is not possible to, for example, turn on the speaker. Or go to the contact list. And sometimes the screen will go back on by pressing the trackball. Sometimes the processor just can't keep up with browsing or looking up contacts. Windows freeze. Sometimes it sends text to the wrong contact (yes, we are sure). Hard resets, replacements phones, tried them all, yadayada. As one of the techs I've talked to said, the Eris wasn't really ready when released and it isn't up to the tasks promised by HTC and Verizon. Verizon would do well to let those of us who were Eris guinea pigs trade up early for a reduced price - to an Android phone that at least does what it is promised to do.

I had an issue right after the 2.1 upgrade where some of my contacts were getting mixed up, similar to what you describe with texting. I went to my google account and found that somehow, some of the numbers in my contacts had gotten double entered into other contacts. After I cleaned that up the problem went away. May not be your issue but it is worth a look.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ever since I got this update, I can no longer upload photos to Facebook. Haven't tried uploading elsewhere. But that alone is very frustrating!

I don't use FB (I think it is the debil!) but I have been uploading photos to Photobucket without an issue.

sgmidf

Reaction score
Update "new" EriS?

A friend who is leaving VZW is selling me their Eris that's not upgraded to 2.1. As I haven't done anything to the phone yet (so I won't lose contacts etc) do people recommend updating as soon as I get it? Or should I leave it alone?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
A friend who is leaving VZW is selling me their Eris that's not upgraded to 2.1. As I haven't done anything to the phone yet (so I won't lose contacts etc) do people recommend updating as soon as I get it? Or should I leave it alone?

Do a factory reset. Then do both updates. Go to 2.1 then do the July 2010 maintenance release.

I tell you to do the first thing because I assume you don't want their information left in the phone. And people have reported better success that way with 2.1.

Welcome to the club! :icon_ banana: