DROID Eris Receiving Update July 16th

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand... Is this 2.2 or an update of 2.1?

I go to accounts & sync, and my phone says I'm up-to-date. The build number is 2.36 on the Verizon software update page, and that's what my phone has. I never installed anything after getting an email about it on the 16th... I was waiting to see what happened here, after my last experience. Any summary explanation of what's going on with this?

No it is a maintenance release. It is doubtful that the Eris will ever seen an official 2.2 release.

Well that said... I'm running 2.36 already, and it still isn't "all that". The only thing that fixed me a couple months ago was a factory reset, and it worked great for a while... Now it's back to behaving badly and running like a bassett hound.

This MR is Build 2.37. The firmware is the Droid version.

Screwball

Reaction score
The Update went well for me... noticed a lil speed increase and the phone works better... clarity, responsive, signal strength. But... why oh why did HTC not give us Apps2SD with this update?

countryboy498

Reaction score
My wifes update was downloading when she got a phone call. Is there anyway to get it back now? We seem to have lost it and her phone is so laggy and such a piece of crap, any speed increase would be better. How can I get the update back?

Aries

Reaction score
Go To: menu / settings / about phone / system updates.

countryboy498

Reaction score
I tried that. It didn't work. I cannot believe I don't read about more people with eris issues. Her phone (and this is her 3rd one) is junk.

Another_Dude

Reaction score
I checked my wife's phone this morning and the update hasn't come in yet, she's still on 2.36

RCFlyn

Reaction score
So do I try it??? I got the notification quite some time ago, but I never let it upgrade (Still got a bad taste in my mouth from the 2.? upgrade back in May, Verizon replaced phone for me, and I've been on 1.5 this WHOLE Time)
And I actually got ANOTHER Notification Yesterday, but ignored it...

Debtfree

Reaction score
Got The Latest Update

If anyone gets the update.. post and let us know! Im curious.. but that usually kills cats..

I was running the leaked v2 OS on my Eris cause I am an RN and I wanted to us Epocrates drug program, but it was acting up a lot. I found on Android forum that I could download the "original" 2.1 version and install it. Yes, it wiped my phone but it got me to the "correct" version. Once that happened it offered me to install the newest system update. It seems to be working great so far. Hope it will continue to do so???

What I am wanting is the ability to install apps to my SD card. I know froyo is able to do this but have heard that it may not be available for the Eris. Does any one know more about this? I sure hope so. I would install a lot more apps if I had more room to do so, but with only 150 or MB that isn't much space.

Debtfree

smtgirl

Reaction score
backup assistant

I just downloaded the update and so far so good. It says the update lets you use backup assistant, but how? I can't figure it out.

RCFlyn

Reaction score
I downloaded it lastnight too... Not such a good idea for me...
EVERYTHING Pops up the "Force Close" dialog box.. And I Mean EVERYTHING Pops that box up... I can Text and I can Call... Can't access my SD Card, Can't access the Camera, can't access music... the Ringer don't work... the alarms don't work...
I''m headin to verizon again.. Probably gonna get ANOTHER New phone....
Why the Heck don't these updates like my phone???

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded it lastnight too... Not such a good idea for me...
EVERYTHING Pops up the "Force Close" dialog box.. And I Mean EVERYTHING Pops that box up... I can Text and I can Call... Can't access my SD Card, Can't access the Camera, can't access music... the Ringer don't work... the alarms don't work...
I''m headin to verizon again.. Probably gonna get ANOTHER New phone....
Why the Heck don't these updates like my phone???

I have been getting more forced close since this update. Not everything like you, but more.

Here is my sequence:

Got my Eris.
Upgraded to 2.1 when that update came out.
Phone worked great after the update but did a factory reset to see if it got even better.
After reset, phone actually got a little worse but still not as bad as a lot of people complained of.
Did this update and I haven't been impressed with the result.

The phone is still great, but less so now.

Screwball

Reaction score
So wow... a concept... they (HTC/Verizon) make the Eris crap after an update... then us as end users get upset go back to Verizon and they say they can't fix and make us upgrade to a new phone!!! Things that make ya go hmmmmmm!

RCFlyn

Reaction score
So I go to Verizon, they too did a Factory Restart, and everything SEEMS to be working... I haven't had time to CHECK everything out, I only had 20 minutes left afterwards to get to school, but, everything I HAVE Checked, I'm not getting that "FORCE CLOSE" Dialog box...
On my FIRST Phone, when she tried doing the factory restart, it wouldn't do it, and she found out that you COULDN'T. That's why they replaced the phone for me. But, this time, the factory restart seemed to work, so we'll see..
Oh ya, she DID Tell me "It could have been due to one or more of your APPS you downloaded that caused that".. I didn't have MANY, Just 15 counting the app killer... maybe? we'll see.. I'll re-find the apps I did have and go from there, 1 app at a time...

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
After a few days with this update I can say that it is working well now. First couple of days were tenuous, but it seems to be smoothing out now. I still get a little more of a delay than I would like when I select a contact to call, but it isn't so bad that I want to chuck the phone.

Ericbphoto

Reaction score
Link to the update

scaled.php

This is the info on the update to the Droid Eris.

Here's a link to it http://yfrog.com/m9g9dj