Droid Bionic - What we think we know

Turbodsm90

Reaction score
Java, thanks for consolidating all the info.

For the person that said this is ALL speculation, that's not entirely true. Verizons web page does give us some solid specs, but just enough to wet our appetites.

link?

Verizons web site says Bionic 4g LTE coming this summer. Thats all. No Specs

GBH2

Reaction score
Great job , Java!

For the doubters, this is far from pure speculation. This is what the Bionic will be or extremely close(there can always be a few minor surprises :)) This information Java has gathered is what those of us who have followed phone releases for years have deciphered from respected insider leaks/hints and a knowledge of what is available and in production to be included in a phone that began development several months ago and is going into production now.

You can rest assured that this is the Bionic (or very close). :)

Jenrenee2

Reaction score
Does anyone have anything tangible?

I've seen a lot of speculation, but does anyone have anything tangible on the Bionic? My D2 is on it's last leg. Or should I say... I'm tired of pulling the battery out everyday. I would like to make sure I'm going for the right phone or if I should wait for the rumored phone to come out in Q4.

OP
Java

Java

Reaction score
You're all very welcome. I didn't have much else to do at work this week anyways, so I felt like contributing to the community a little bit. I've become accustomed to writing guides and things such as this from many years of being a tech nerd.

To be fair, I do agree that much of this is speculation, but this speculation is based on the old specs of the phone, what new specs are being achieved on similar phones, and what insider information has provided. As I said in the OP itself, of course these things could be different in the final phone, that would be possible even with an official release. My intention was not to give exactly what the Bionic will be, but give an idea to everyone (especially those who can't troll forums all day) how this phone has developed, what it's intended to be, and what we can rationally expect out of it. I have included as much reliable information as I could and linked to outside sources as much as possible so that everything is consolidated. Of course, if you find information that pertains to the Bionic that is reputable, I will gladly update the thread with said information, as I did with the RAM.

I've seen a lot of speculation, but does anyone have anything tangible on the Bionic? My D2 is on it's last leg. Or should I say... I'm tired of pulling the battery out everyday. I would like to make sure I'm going for the right phone or if I should wait for the rumored phone to come out in Q4.

If your phone is almost dead 'on its last leg' you may want to consider your options. I'm going to assume you're looking for a 4G LTE phone if you haven't already picked up a Droid X2 or Droid 3 (which are two phones that will have very similar specifications to the Droid Bionic, just without 4G LTE).

The problem you're going to run into is you're chasing two Carmen Sandiegos. We know they're out there somewhere, and we know they'll show up eventually, but in all honesty we have no idea where they are on the timeline. If the Bionic does come out in early August, which it could... but it also could come out much later, and you decide to wait, you're waiting for another indeterminate amount of time for a phone with new, unpredictable technology. Much like the Bionic, which already got sent back to the drawing board once, you could be looking at waiting on that phone for half a year or more given Motorola's release history. Then again, it could come out in September and blow the Bionic out of the water... but the chances of that are minimal.

As many a forum goer has said, if you always wait for the next best thing, you will never have a phone. Pick one phone you want, one phone you'll be happy with, and stick with it. You don't always need the best phone at all times. Every single phone you buy will be one-upped within a couple of months, technology is just too fast. The thing you should be happy with is that all these new phones are easily future-proofed to get you through the next two years, so just stick with one that does what you want it to do.

Hell, I was still using the LG Dare on July 7th (up until which I was forced to add a data plan to save Unlimited for my smartphone). I currently do not even have a phone while I'm here in Mexico, but that Droid is activated (I might add it's not even functioning... it's my cousin's old broken one). I hope this phone does come out soon, as I get back stateside on the 1st of August and I will not have a phone until the upgrade.

I wish you luck in deciding, but just remember you will always be chasing something better if you don't settle for something eventually.

GRTK_Brandon

Reaction score
An incredibly well put together thread and OP! Thanks a lot! :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
The best part of the CPU is the fact that it's the same CPU that is in the iPhone 4...
Yeah, that Apple phone that was released over a year ago. It may be dual core, but that doesn't make up for a chip that's over a year old.

Huh? I have to hear this explanation....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Someone already spoke on this, guess you could say corrected this, back on page 2....

OP
Java

Java

Reaction score
The best part of the CPU is the fact that it's the same CPU that is in the iPhone 4...
Yeah, that Apple phone that was released over a year ago. It may be dual core, but that doesn't make up for a chip that's over a year old.

Huh? I have to hear this explanation....

As said, yes it was disproved. It was my mistake for taking second hand information on a whim when I had little subject knowledge. Live and learn...

But that's what this forum is about, people will correct mistakes :)

mike02vr6

Reaction score
Great post thanks a bunch Java.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

kdw11005

Reaction score
I was just at verizon & the manager there told me the bionic did not pass the fcc & it has been pulled. Moto will release a phone at the end of the year. It was pulled because its not stable & it over heats. I guess they are going to work on it & release it under another name at the end or the year. If you search the internet you will find articles about it being pulled

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was just at verizon & the manager there told me the bionic did not pass the fcc & it has been pulled. Moto will release a phone at the end of the year. It was pulled because its not stable & it over heats. I guess they are going to work on it & release it under another name at the end or the year. If you search the internet you will find articles about it being pulled

I would never trust anything a VZW Rep/manager/salesperson says. I have been lied to so many times by them its not even funny. All this speculation gets old. We will know when it comes out

SSX v2.0

Reaction score

The overheating issue was allegedly the Etna bionic with the tegra 2.. blah these crappy vzw schmucks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums