Droid Bionic - What we think we know

GBH2

Reaction score
Why do they hide the specs of the cpu? I am literally on an emotional roller coaster with what the speculation is. I don't want that 4430 processor. If moto is releasing another flagship that has been delay so much the way it is, they better have ground breaking cpus in it and not 2nd hand design that are in inferioir phones like the d3.

Sent from my Charge using DroidForums

The best part of the CPU is the fact that it's the same CPU that is in the iPhone 4...
Yeah, that Apple phone that was released over a year ago. It may be dual core, but that doesn't make up for a chip that's over a year old.

What are you guys talking about? The OMAP4 platform has not been around for over a year. The iPhone4 CPU was a Cortex A8 variation @800MHz with a PowerVR535. The OMAP4430 is a dual-core Cortex A9 variation @1GHz with a PowerVR540. They are not even close to the same.

And the 4430 is not some 2nd-hand CPU. It's in the same family as the 4460. My guess is that the 4460 is the higher TDP version for tablets, which is often the case when 2 different SoC variants are released in the same platform. You guys are just grasping at straws to find fault with the Bionic at this point. Calling the 4430 a "2nd hand design" when it's the best SoC on the market right now is pretty ridiculous.

AnandTech - Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed
OMAP™ Applications Processors - OMAP™ 4 Platform
AnandTech - This Just In - Motorola Droid 3 for Verizon

Brandon

omap3, omap4 a8,a9 it's all the same, I just want the bigger ghZzz and geeBees.!

jk ;)

- Thanks for posting that, I get tired trying to explain stuff sometimes.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^lol...I was waiting for someone to come in and have the OMAP 4430's back...lol And I feel the same way. Most times I just dont respond now or let other folks take a stab at answering.

Yea...the ram and webtop issue. I just compare it to using a virtual machine on a PC. When webtop is in use, it may use some extra ram. When its not in use it gets kicked back to the host. I am assuming, I havent read the xda threads completely.

I would think with all the Atrix users out there for these past months someone would have a definite answer about the ram use and webtop...lol At this point it should be clear.

akhi216

Reaction score
The best part of the CPU is the fact that it's the same CPU that is in the iPhone 4...
Yeah, that Apple phone that was released over a year ago. It may be dual core, but that doesn't make up for a chip that's over a year old.

What are you guys talking about? The OMAP4 platform has not been around for over a year. The iPhone4 CPU was a Cortex A8 variation @800MHz with a PowerVR535. The OMAP4430 is a dual-core Cortex A9 variation @1GHz with a PowerVR540. They are not even close to the same.

And the 4430 is not some 2nd-hand CPU. It's in the same family as the 4460. My guess is that the 4460 is the higher TDP version for tablets, which is often the case when 2 different SoC variants are released in the same platform. You guys are just grasping at straws to find fault with the Bionic at this point. Calling the 4430 a "2nd hand design" when it's the best SoC on the market right now is pretty ridiculous.

Brandon

omap3, omap4 a8,a9 it's all the same, I just want the bigger ghZzz and geeBees.!

jk ;)

- Thanks for posting that, I get tired trying to explain stuff sometimes.

OMGLOLWTH...

Funny stuff.

OP
Java

Java

Reaction score
Why do they hide the specs of the cpu? I am literally on an emotional roller coaster with what the speculation is. I don't want that 4430 processor. If moto is releasing another flagship that has been delay so much the way it is, they better have ground breaking cpus in it and not 2nd hand design that are in inferioir phones like the d3.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, I didn't know that information, and I deserve that for taking what a published article told me to heart without researching the information myself. I don't have extensive processor knowledge so I take what I'm told to heart, and I'm glad that they are, in fact, not the same. Though I still wish we could have gotten that shiny new dual core 4460 clocked at 1.2 Ghz or 1.5 Ghz... a man can dream. :)
And I'm not looking for faults in the Bionic, I am patiently waiting and have been patiently waiting for a new phone since last November. Bahaha

Anyways, I'm editing the RAM with a link to that succinct post for clarification. Thank you, GBH2!

Oh and also, although pretty much all the specs are the same as in the website leak, from what I've seen and heard it is a likely fake, so I will not change everything to copy it until there's a bit more support. The $300 contract pricetag, though expected, is definitely going to hurt. I will not be dropping that much personally, hopefully it falls down significantly like the Droid 3 did.

Turbodsm90

Reaction score
We dont know ****. Verizon or moto has not given us any specs.

Everything is just speculation

Turbodsm90

Reaction score
I really hope we are wrong about what we think we know

With those specs the bionic will already be behind the game.

If this is going to be verizons "flag ship phone" it should have:

1.2ghz+ dual core

13mp camera

4.3-4.5 qhd non pentile display

HDMI

1gb dedicated memory, no shared web dock bs

32gb sd card

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I guess you feel the GS2 is behind the game too then...unless you're overseas and already got the GS2.

The Boinic already has HDMI out that does mirror mode.

It doesnt have a 1.2GHz cpu but still...1 vs. 1.2...

13MP camera doesnt mean squat if the lenses, sensors, etc. are garbage.

Pentile...ok..I'll give you that..lol. It will be a personal preference thing, but I'll give you that.

Any extra of the 1GB ram is only in use by webtop when its docked. Have you seen the past few pages where this was talked about?

Any SD card at all would be nice..lol. Seeing how the Droid 3 doesnt come with one.

Put the camera from the Nokia N8 on here, the higher res screens Hitachi is working on, maybe a 3D screen/phone, LTE, gonna say webtop too - I know its not for everyone but it is something different vs. other phones...and we're getting somewhere.

OP
Java

Java

Reaction score

1.2ghz+ dual core

13mp camera

HDMI

32gb sd card

And a $500 on contract price tag... :icon_eek:

But I do agree, with as many manufacturers there are, I don't see how they keep doing this incremental bullshiat. I thought the point of competition was that you were competing with the competitors, so we should be seeing unreal processors, displays, cameras, etc. I realize there's a limit to how much you can cram into these things, but if Samsung released the SII months ago, how do we not even have an equivalent on another device yet?

But on the display, I actually think the PenTile display is a positive. For a mobile phone you want it to be bright enough to use in sunlight and give vivid picture while at the same time conserving battery life. Being a retina display comes after those two, in my honest opinion. If you want a 1080p display, use the HDMI port now provided in almost every phone.

Zetsumei

Reaction score

1.2ghz+ dual core

13mp camera

HDMI

32gb sd card

1.2ghz+ dual core (possible)

13mp camera (Dinara or next high end phone)

4.3-4.5 qhd non pentile display (Moto <3's pentile)

HDMI (yes)

1gb dedicated memory, no shared web dock bs (likely)

32gb sd card (hopefully)

Reaction score
For me the bionic NEEDS to have at least a 1.2ghz processor and not be overclocked. I want my bionic to be pushing 2ghz safely when she is ready for that. There should be no reason to drop a 4460 or even a 4470 in that phone. If they drop a 4470 I would gladly say "shutupandtakemymoney" reference.

A2Aegis

Reaction score

1.2ghz+ dual core

13mp camera

HDMI

32gb sd card

1.2ghz+ dual core (possible)

13mp camera (Dinara or next high end phone)

4.3-4.5 qhd non pentile display (Moto <3's pentile)

HDMI (yes)

1gb dedicated memory, no shared web dock bs (likely)

32gb sd card (hopefully)

1.2Ghz will easily be accomplished once the phone is rooted and overclocked. Also, in term of storage, I would rather it be like the Droid 3, with 16GB of internal memory, and a MicroSD card slot. It would be a bit faster that way.