Droid 4 Utility Pre-Release [WINDOWS]

Ihauntu2

Reaction score
Today was my first time rooting a phone. I was worried that I was going to brick my shiny new DROID 4, but your utility made it very easy. Having the visual prompts in the command box eased my stress levels a little bit. Thank you for releasing this.

Kack

Reaction score
Yea I got it to work fine on my wifes so now I'm rooted froze some apps now I'm looking for a screen capture app that works. And then onto what I can do next without an sbf . Look forward to some ics and roms.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

djembeman

Reaction score
ScreenShot It!

Yea I got it to work fine on my wifes so now I'm rooted froze some apps now I'm looking for a screen capture app that works. And then onto what I can do next without an sbf . Look forward to some ics and roms.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

"Screenshot it" in the market works great on my Bionic, just have to check the invert colors box. It works rooted or non-rooted.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.edwardkim.android.screenshotitfull

I've thought I read this tool works with the Bionic? Why is Safestrap better than the ClockworkMod Bootstrap?

Thanks guys.

Droid Bionic Stock-Rooted, .902, 4EverRoot

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Ihauntu2

Reaction score
Here's an odd one for you. I rooted last night with battery at 30%. I charged the phone overnight & the damn thing still shows 30%. Kept it charging for a few hours today, still 30% even after unfreezing all bloatware.

I don't think rooting with your utility could cause this, but right now it's the only link. Any ideas about what might cause this?

I'm working on running the battery out to see if it will recharge past 30% from 0%.

EDIT: Nevermind looks like I have a bad usb port. I was having to almost force the thing tight in order to keep a usb connection with the computer. Now I'm doing the same thing to get a trickle charge.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Here's an odd one for you. I rooted last night with battery at 30%. I charged the phone overnight & the damn thing still shows 30%. Kept it charging for a few hours today, still 30% even after unfreezing all bloatware.

I don't think rooting with your utility could cause this, but right now it's the only link. Any ideas about what might cause this?

I'm working on running the battery out to see if it will recharge past 30% from 0%.

EDIT: Nevermind looks like I have a bad usb port. I was having to almost force the thing tight in order to keep a usb connection with the computer. Now I'm doing the same thing to get a trickle charge.

The thing I've noticed with LTE on my Razr, is that using my phone white plugged into my computer's USB says charging, but is actually discharging. I've lost power by USB tethering LTE to my PC. AC power always charges and works better. Glad you figured out the issue

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
that is what i got when i tried to run it. but it saw my phone.

* Droid 4 Utility 0.2 - DroidRZR.com *
* Created by mattlgroff *
* -Thank Dan Rosenberg for his Droid 4 Root- *

'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Too powerful to fall into the right hands.

Please make a selection or hit ENTER to exit:

Found a solution btw.
I would not do that either. By doing so you are removing all of the other things that will need to be in the PATH. You are better off adding the System32 directory to the PATH in the System Variables section of the Environment Variables dialog box (accessible from Computer | Properties | Advanced)
C:/System32/
;)

B-Unit

Reaction score
The thing I've noticed with LTE on my Razr, is that using my phone white plugged into my computer's USB says charging, but is actually discharging. I've lost power by USB tethering LTE to my PC. AC power always charges and works better. Glad you figured out the issue

Ill second this, had fired up wireless thether on 100%-90% and forgot about it with USB overnight, when I left for work I had dropped to 30%.

ndd

Reaction score

with both my OG droid and my samsung stratosphere, I have to use a USB Y cable to get enough juice from my computer to actually charge the device. I suspect that's true for the droid 4, too, although I haven't tested it.

me_droid

Reaction score
Thanks for this util, rooted yesterday and all seems well. Just freezing, not deleting apps. I received a notification from the superuser app that the binary was outdated. Is it safe to update it or does this exploit rely on a certain version of the binary - thanks.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for this util, rooted yesterday and all seems well. Just freezing, not deleting apps. I received a notification from the superuser app that the binary was outdated. Is it safe to update it or does this exploit rely on a certain version of the binary - thanks.

Update all you like. Should be safe.

Note to all: I am giving control of the Droid 4 Utility to skylarmb (Although I will still be very involved
wink.png
)

Last edited:

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but..

If you do nothing else but 'root' a phone (in my case the Droid4), does it have any impact at all on things such as battery usage, resource usage etc? Or is it merely setting a 'flag' allowing things to be done as admin?

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but..

If you do nothing else but 'root' a phone (in my case the Droid4), does it have any impact at all on things such as battery usage, resource usage etc? Or is it merely setting a 'flag' allowing things to be done as admin?
It merely makes you have superuser and root access to the phone. It will impact nothing on hardware and software performance just rooting by itself.

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Rooted successfully. Thank you Matt.

Which application are you guys using to 'freeze' apps? TitaniumBackup? Does it need to be the paid version?

Cheers!

Edit. Never mind, I kind of answered my own question. I installed Titanium Backup and it won't let you freeze anything in the unpaid version.

Other than Slacker radio and Verizon Videos, what other apps are a waste of time in peoples' opinions? (i.e. ones I can happily freeze!)

Last edited: