Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try the ICS Only tool in my signature. The original creators of the tool haven't been updating it. So I wrote some revisions and posted for everyone.

Zero5295

Reaction score
Try the ICS Only tool in my signature. The original creators of the tool haven't been updating it. So I wrote some revisions and posted for everyone.

Alright new question: what does the "fastboot" option in the Droid 4 Utility in the OP do? Would that allow me to fastboot my device?

Last edited:

Inuyashamish

Reaction score
Does anyone have a working link to download this utility? All the ones I can find are dead

rouge06

Reaction score
Can you forgive a newbie question.....I want to run this utility as I have been getting constant errors with the ICS update because I uninstalled some bloatware. But what will this do to my Droid 4? Will I be able to get future updates? Will I still have my installed apps?
Thanks

Zalan

Reaction score
Can you forgive a newbie question.....I want to run this utility as I have been getting constant errors with the ICS update because I uninstalled some bloatware. But what will this do to my Droid 4? Will I be able to get future updates? Will I still have my installed apps?
Thanks

Its my understanding that the ota ICS update verifies several things during installation that can error out the process like you've been experiencing. I've read those things include modifying system components like your notification icons, still having the device rooted, or uninstalling bloatware like you mentioned doing. This is a good example of why unwanted apps should be frozen instead of uninstalled. Get the apps back that you uninstalled, and assuming your un-rooted and haven't done anything else you should be good to go.

rouge06

Reaction score
Zalan,
Thank you for all the information.
My Droid 4 currently is rooted, I reinstalled all the apps that I uninstalled, and I am still getting an error during the ICS update with the /system/app/VCAST.apk (i have made sure the file permissions are correct).
So at this point I am considering using the GB utility. I would just like to know what it will do to my phone.
Thanks

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You can just use rsd lite and the ICS fastboot. If you installed a system app you can't just reinstall. Try copying the apk directly to the system folder. You may get some force close warnings (which might require a data wipe). Then you can try installing the ics update.

rouge06

Reaction score
jsnweitzel,
I had restored my uninstalled apps from titanium backup. I didnt seem to have the VCAST.apk file so I did just copy in the file as you suggested (I made sure the file permissions were correct) I unrooted, and then tried the ICS update again and I still get an error on /system/app/VCAST.apk.
I am still considering the utility but there are no links for the mac version that work.
What is RSD lite? And how do I do the ICS fasboot from GB?
Thanks

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

rouge06

Reaction score
Thank you everyone here for their help! I am now on ICS and rooted!
Thank you!

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
i manage to put my phone into bootloop, yay! i was on the leaked version of ICS .217 i think
i'm recharging the phone right, before the phone went into bootloop i had all the verizon crap frozen.

so i'm gonna go ahead try restoring ICS thru the D4 utility see if that works.

but it fails, i need some help with RSDLite...

cableguynoe

Reaction score
I'm looking for the MAC download files. The links are not working. Can any guide me to where I can find them?