Droid 2 Global, a few root questions

sleepyjunkfoot

Reaction score
1. is it important when i look up rooting the regular droid 2 vs. the d2 global. is there any diffrences that i need to be aware of?

2.i dont really want or need to get too crazy with all the diffrent roms that are out there. i just want a simpe one that i can uninstall skype, blockbuster, etc. and one i can use themes for as well....which ones for me????? thanks

silver6054

Reaction score
1. is it important when i look up rooting the regular droid 2 vs. the d2 global. is there any diffrences that i need to be aware of?

2.i dont really want or need to get too crazy with all the diffrent roms that are out there. i just want a simpe one that i can uninstall skype, blockbuster, etc. and one i can use themes for as well....which ones for me????? thanks
Easy choice because at present Fission is the only ROM available for the global! I assume we will see more, especially as the SBF file has been leaked.

Note once you have root, you can freeze the bloatware without installing another ROM (either using the script on this forum or a tool such as Titanium Backup)

Reaction score
Use Z4root (google it, it's available on xda developers forums) to root, it's simple and pretty much foolproof (one click). If you don't want to go crazy, just get titanium backup from the market and freeze all the stock bloatware (if you search, there's a list of things that are ok to freeze). The benefit to this is you get better battery life, and faster response from the phone. Also, when updates become available, they run as patches, so they look for all the pre-installed system files on your phone, including the stuff like amazon, blockbuster, etc. Without those files, you don't get OTA updates. With TiBackup, you just unfreeze them, get your update, and re freeze them. I recommend you look at SetCPU and Autokiller as well, they have increased my battery life and my phone's response.

OP
S

sleepyjunkfoot

Reaction score
Use Z4root (google it, it's available on xda developers forums) to root, it's simple and pretty much foolproof (one click). If you don't want to go crazy, just get titanium backup from the market and freeze all the stock bloatware (if you search, there's a list of things that are ok to freeze). The benefit to this is you get better battery life, and faster response from the phone. Also, when updates become available, they run as patches, so they look for all the pre-installed system files on your phone, including the stuff like amazon, blockbuster, etc. Without those files, you don't get OTA updates. With TiBackup, you just unfreeze them, get your update, and re freeze them. I recommend you look at SetCPU and Autokiller as well, they have increased my battery life and my phone's response.

so i bloatware is blockbuster, and skype and stuff, and i cant get updates without them, so i need to freeze them with titanium backup? after i root my phone?

speltrong

Reaction score
Here's a list of bloatware on the D2G from buryboi's awesome bloatware removal script thread (requires rooting)

amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
BatteryManager.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
Blockbuster.apk
BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
CityID.apk
FriendFeed.apk
Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.apk
Mynet.apk
MyVerizon.apk
NewsWidget.apk
PerformanceManager.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
Skype_mobile.live.apk
SocialMessaging.apk
SocialShare.apk
vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
Vvm.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk
com.vzw.hss.myverizon-2.apk

I ran this script which renamed all the offending programs (deactivated them), and figure I can just run the "put bloatware back" script when I'm done, that way I didn't have to buy Titanium Backup and didn't have to remember the whole list.

silver6054

Reaction score
Here's a list of bloatware on the D2G from buryboi's awesome bloatware removal script thread (requires rooting)

amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
BatteryManager.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
Blockbuster.apk
BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
CityID.apk
FriendFeed.apk
Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.apk
Mynet.apk
MyVerizon.apk
NewsWidget.apk
PerformanceManager.apk (only if using the alternate methods)
Skype_mobile.live.apk
SocialMessaging.apk
SocialShare.apk
vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
Vvm.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk
com.vzw.hss.myverizon-2.apk

I ran this script which renamed all the offending programs (deactivated them), and figure I can just run the "put bloatware back" script when I'm done, that way I didn't have to buy Titanium Backup and didn't have to remember the whole list.
Of course, "bloatware" is a little subjective, people might find one or more of these useful, even though there are other alternatives. (I keep the weather widget for example). I would view this list as "applications safe to remove" (well, rename rather than delete) in that your phone will function fine without them. As previous posters said, for OTA update, you will need to put all these back.