Droid 2 Global and Skype in Europe

jclouse

Reaction score
I am in Europe with a SIM unlocked VZW Droid 2 Global, I have full data and voice. I cannot even open the Skype Mobile program, it tells me skype can only be used in the US. I bought my GF an unlocked I phone in the states, she can use Skype anywhere in Europe.

My question is...Is there a way to free up Skype on the droid / VZW platform to work in foreign countries...will rooting the phone help???

Thanks in advance to the experts...

leobg

Reaction score
The skype mobile Verizon put on the phone is a customized version which works only if you are on Verizon's network. To overcome this, go to the market and install the normal skype (both can coexist together). The 'normal' skype is not limited by any means to any networks and will work fine. If you have rooted the phone, you can 'freeze'/remove the (useless) skype mobile to keep things tidy.

Reaction score
You need Skype from the market, not Skype mobile. Skype mobile only works on 3G in the US... Skype should work on Wifi, anywhere.

leobg

Reaction score
With sim unlocked phone (and non-Verizon SIM), Skype from Market will work on both 3G and Wifi (That's how I use it).