Droid 2 Global

skays

Reaction score
I live in the US and not familiar with using European cell phones, etc. If I get a Droid 2 Global, or any other Android Global phone, how does one go about using it it Europe...Italy, Germany, etc. Do I need to purchase a SIM card for the cell phone carrier within the country/city I will be visiting, i.e., Rome, Italy? Very expensive?

Thank You

Reaction score
From the stories I've heard, its insanely expensive. But yes, u can buy the Droid 2 global here, and buy a sim card in the city/country your visiting.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

r314bd

Reaction score
If I get a Droid 2 Global, or any other Android Global phone, how does one go about using it it Europe...Italy, Germany, etc. Do I need to purchase a SIM card for the cell phone carrier within the country/city I will be visiting, i.e., Rome, Italy? Very expensive?
You have two options.

1. Utilize VZWs built-in SIM card which allows you to keep your own phone number while abroad. Calls per minute in Italy are $1.29/min or $.99/min if you sign up for a $4.99/month International Value Plan (which you can cancel whenever you want.) Data roaming costs $20.48/MB...I can't even think of words to describe how disgusting that is. Watching a YouTube video would cost $200. Unless you are a very frequent business traveler who needs the same phone number at all times, I would avoid this option...clearly way too expensive.

2. As long as your account with VZW has been in good standing for at least 6 months, you can have them unlock your phone so you can use other SIM cards with it. That way, in your destination country you can get a local SIM with a local phone number and much cheaper rates.

Here are some relevant links:
Global Calling Rates
Global Data Rates

Last edited:
OP
S

skays

Reaction score
Thank You. Understand it probably costs a lot, but nice to have the capability to call home in case of emergency, etc.

OP
S

skays

Reaction score
Great...thank you.
Been with AllTel for a bunch of years, and Verizon since they purchased AllTel. Love the service and area coverage. Just wish we could adopt European cell phone industry concept, but the US is dollar hungry. Why else would we still have a charge on our basic phone system for keypad versus rotary dialing.

Reaction score
Will you make your roms available for the Droid 2 Global?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

siralex

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased the droid 2 global to use internationally during my stay in Brazil.

Previously i owned a droid x so i am familiar with the userface but I am not familiar with how the whole international network operates. I have been tweaking around with the network settings for quite some time but i am still unable to get service no matter what I do. My phone shows me that there are over five networks that i can join but my phone won't connect. I activated my phone in the u.s. before i came to Brazil and it worked perfectly there. Last time i was here i had a blackberry storm and that connected perfectly without any problems. I realize that the blackberry series of phones connect differently from others but it shouldn't make that much of a difference should it? Finally, i read on another forum that in order for the phone to work internationally it has to be activated for 60 days before it is unlocked by verizon. Is this true? I was never warned of this when i bought the phone..

Last edited:

guho

Reaction score
I just got a droid 2 global and I am wondering whether to exchange it. I am in the last days of my 14-days return privilege & am experiencing random reboots only when charging via USB. I am running Fission 2.4.3 installed using FRM lite 1.2.4. In normal usage it is rock solid & stable, which makes me doubt it is a hardware issue. Is there anyone on this forum who was able to overcome the random reboots merely by exchanging the hardware, keeping the same ROM and Apps? My SD card is clean save for some nandroid backups. I have "droid 2 bootstrapper' installed for its recovery. Related issue: every time I reboot the phone I end up in recovery without any key presses. Can this be solved by using another recovery tool? How do I uninstall "Droid 2 Bootstrapper" in favor of some other recovery tool? Thanks for your detailed answers.

Hollybabyrx12

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having serious issues with my D2G screen. It has not gotten wet or been in any sort of moisture. Without warning, the pixels on the screen would look slurred, then the screen would go blank. The first few times a battery pull would help. Now the screen is black and won't come up at all. It is responsive to touch as it still provides haptic feedback, but no picture at all. The back light on the keyboard and the bottom touch-sensitive buttons will come on. It is Froyo and is rooted and running the Fission Rom. I have searched the forum somewhat but haven't found any answers that might help that I haven't all ready tried. It has been like this for a while now. Here is what I have tried: leaving the battery out for a few days, powering on both connected to and not connected to the computer and charger, powering on connected to the charger minus the battery, pressing the search +x, which will reboot into recovery, but still nothing on the screen; rebooting while pressing the up/down key.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially since I cannot take the rooted phone to Verizon.

Thank you!

Sent from a borrowed Bionic

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a hardware failure; a flex cable failure to be more specific. Is the phone still within the one year manufacturer warranty? If so, take it to them. If not, you can attempt to repair it on your own.

Motorola devices aren't usually difficult, but they may require some time.

Motorola Droid 2 Global A956 Flex Cable Replacement

Hollybabyrx12

Reaction score
It is within a few days of the one year warranty being up and I know if I take it to Vzw, they are gonna say its because its rooted. I did rebuild my Blackberry when I dropped it in my drink so I think replacing the cable is the way to go. Thank you sooooo much!!!

Sent from a borrowed Bionic

indee2025

Reaction score
So there's no Droid 2 Global forum/thread that I saw and I have a couple questions for Droid 2 users both past/present...Scratch that I found it in the archive, the new website format threw me off but we are ok on this front now...

IF I were to activate a droid 2 Global today, what's the latest official OTA update via software update check?

I would root the device, but not use a custom rom, just want to root to rid the device of bloatware, what's a good link for this? (No cyanogen mod stuff please)

Anyone use Utorrent droid on this device? Can it play Simpsons Tapped out? Can it play Injustice?

What is the largest micro SD card the device can take?

If I'm not mistaken, the Droid 2 Global has 1.2 GHZ , 1GB Ram...would like to tinker around with the old droid builds that were so iconic and solid but the OG Droid specs are too weak....Nowadays I mostly play simpson tapped out and text on my phone so thinking the Droid 2 Global would be a fun visit for a while, just need some answers to some questions.....thanks in advance!

Last edited: