Droid 2 App killing?

Reaction score
This might be one of those "duh" questions, and if it is I apologize.

I previously had the original Motorola Droid, and before that the Eris, so I am familiarized with the Automatic Task Killer and Advanced Task Killer programs, and was surprised to find out that they do not seem to work on my new Droid 2. There seem to be an incredible amount of apps continously running at all times, and I am at a complete and total loss for what to do. Is this because Automatic Task Killer is not compatable with 2.2? I have seen a few people on here mention that the phone will take care of the apps itself, but does not seem to be the case with mine.

Help!!!

713King

Reaction score
dont use task killer, the apps wont make your phone run slow. Just let your phone sync up and it will start running good.

713King

Reaction score
the thing is that people think they need an app killer is that the reps at verizon say, "Make sure to download the appkiller it will save you battery and save you trouble, blah, blah, blah". I say that because i heard a rep tell that to a lady who was getting a Droid 2 days ago.

CheathamHill

Reaction score
the thing is that people think they need an app killer is that the reps at verizon say, "Make sure to download the appkiller it will save you battery and save you trouble, blah, blah, blah". I say that because i heard a rep tell that to a lady who was getting a Droid 2 days ago.

This is what happened with me as well...this is my first Android device so I was (still am) quite clueless about how to run this amazing piece of technology (coming from years on the Blackberry)..the first thing the rep did was download Advanced Task Killer onto my D2...I've already hit the thing a hundred times....whoops..guess I'll move it to the trash icon from the home screen :icon_eek:

LostRedneck

Reaction score
I have had a D1 since launch, rooted, OC'd custom roms, you name it. I have heard constant arguments asto why tak killing doesnt work, but those arguments just can't stand up aginst the evidence that I get when my phone is crawling along, i kill the tasks and it is blazing fast again.

713King

Reaction score
Yea i think you should just uninstall the appkiller and just let your phone sync up it might run sluggish at first but once its done it will run very smooth. The phone it self has an app killer if you go to Settings/Applications you can stop them from there if you think one is slowing your phone down.

ffej89

Reaction score
Explain how a task that is in the background using no cpu can make your phone run slower? When i first got my phone i was also told to use task killers to save battery. After reading how task's are managed by android i quit killing apps which was hard just because it was recommended to me so highly by sprint. Now my when i start an app it pops up much quicker. Here's a quick read about task killers

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

Last edited:

LostRedneck

Reaction score
Explain how a task that is in the background using no cpu can make your phone run slower?

It may not be using the processor but it is still using the memory That is what a task killer is designed for, pulling aps out of the memory so it is available for other apps

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Explain how a task that is in the background using no cpu can make your phone run slower?

It may not be using the processor but it is still using the memory That is what a task killer is designed for, pulling aps out of the memory so it is available for other apps

Android does that automatically....Task Killer is Not needed.

LostRedneck

Reaction score

I though so as well but I just don't see it in my phones. What I do see is slow performance when free memory is around 48 mb on my d2 and fast performance when it is over 100 mb

on my D1 it was slow if the free memory was under 40 mb

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I though so as well but I just don't see it in my phones. What I do see is slow performance when free memory is around 48 mb on my d2 and fast performance when it is over 100 mb

I see no slowdown on my X when leaving the OS to do it's job.
Your might be a millisecond or so faster, but I am enjoying my device and not stressing over numbers....

LostRedneck

Reaction score

I see no slowdown on my X when leaving the OS to do it's job.
Your might be a millisecond or so faster, but I am enjoying my device and not stressing over numbers....

If it were just miliseconds I wouldn't mind, its stuttering when scrolling through my app drawer or through my home screens, or taking several seconds for my browser to open or respond.

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the answers, everyone. I guess the reason I liked Automatic Task Killer as much as I did is simply because I am constantly using my phone at work, mostly to talk with family and occasionally to goof off on Facebook, and I rather enjoyed the fact that when I locked my phone, all of my apps were automatically killed. I guess I'm just lazy like that. But honestly, my first Droid was the Eris... and it ran like **** until the day I got that task killer and just as soon as I did it was golden. I guess it's pretty blasphemous to assume that the Droid 2 is anything like the Eris in any manner of speaking, though. ;)