cant kill apps

WacKo

Reaction score
Im on froyo 2.2 and for some reason any task killer app i use it doesnt seem to work ive tried data wiping about 15 different times and also tried changing to different froyo roms.. to kill apps id have to manually go to settings and force stop them because any atk app i get wont plz help

OP
WacKo

WacKo

Reaction score
correction the apps seem to be getting killed but somehow instantly resetting the app doesnt seem to entirely get killed idk need help asap

Darkseider

Reaction score
Maybe Android is trying to tell you something. Maybe like. Ummm.... I dunno... don't use ATK or task killers? Then again it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

OP
WacKo

WacKo

Reaction score
Wow really thats great advice :)..... and ill just leave all my apps running in the backround and kill my battery even faster, make it have 4 hour life span per charge thanx for the advice.... can someone that actually knows what im talking about help? App killers are recommended even by android devs helps with battery life

Darkseider

Reaction score
Wow really thats great advice :)..... and ill just leave all my apps running in the backround and kill my battery even faster, make it have 4 hour life span per charge thanx for the advice.... can someone that actually knows what im talking about help? App killers are recommended even by android devs helps with battery life

Unfortunately I do know what I am talking about. I am sure "The Curmudgeon" will be in here sooner or later as well :) Just remember you don't need to use ATK or task killers at all. TASK KILLERS BAD! BURN THEM WITH FIRE! ok. That was my sledge hammer moment. Hopefully the scalpel will come in shortly and give you the much more refined version. dancedroid

OP
WacKo

WacKo

Reaction score
First of all why are they bad? And how else am i supposed get rid of apps running in the backround or apps that ive opened to use but want closed and out of my notification bar

Mojo

Reaction score
They are bad because it rudly closes apps.... android is desiged to be effecient at freeing up resources as needed. There is a long thread about it somewhere on droidforums. But really they are not needed, its not windows mobile. I have never used a task killer and never will. My battery last me the entire day, and I do not have my phone freeze or lock up. If you are experincing theese issues.. it may be due to an app you have downloaded. Some developers do not code their apps to be the most effecient at battery life.

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK. Apps running in the background aren't really running in the background. They exist in a state of nothingness and use little to no memory or CPU but remain there in cache in case they need to be called upon again in an instant. As for apps that open in the background and perform a function say... Amazon MP3 as an example. It opens, runs its' necessary commands and then drops into a zero state. Which means that again it is doing absolutely nothing. Now if the memory that these apps or processes are needed, Android by default will cull them in order to free up memory for the foreground application that you just started and brought up.

Also. Free memory is more or less a misnomer in Android/Linux. The kernel will use up what it can and then fill the rest with cache. When the memory that the cache is holding is needed like I said earlier it is dumped and assigned to th foreground app. There is an application called "System Panel" I believe that will show you what's going on with your system and give you a much better understanding of the behind the scenes of Android and how it works.

Holy Crap! I had a scalpel moment.

OP
WacKo

WacKo

Reaction score
Ok i understand wat your saying but if i use an app like drocap2 the system wont kill it itself because it doesnt know when i am not using it it'll stay there running all day on my notification bar unless i restart my phone, use an atk, or manually force stop it from settings

Darkseider

Reaction score
Ok i understand wat your saying but if i use an app like drocap2 the system wont kill it itself because it doesnt know when i am not using it it'll stay there running all day on my notification bar unless i restart my phone, use an atk, or manually force stop it from settings

Well if you find that you have to stop it from running then the best option is to manually force stop it from settings. There is no need to install any 3rd party apps to do what the OS can already do.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To use your example, dropcap2, just shut it down in the app. In android running ing the background is more or less a misnomer. Its not really running. Apps only run in the forground, unless designed to run in the background. Any app not currently being used is in a paused state and not using resources. Like other I have never used any task killers and I am overclocked to 1ghz and I can get 1-1 1/2 days on my phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Also, some system apps need to run and if you're killing them you are wasting battery because they have to start back up. This also causes many other issues like random reboots, freezes, and FCs. Best just to not use task killers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk