So many auto-starting apps!

dricacho

Reaction score
So I downloaded Advanced Task Killer and killed the apps that I don't need running. Then I restarted the phone. I didn't open any apps and launched Advanced task killer. I noticed that there are so many apps that are auto-starting. I know that some needs to run automatically such as email, messaging, clock, launcher app, no LED, weatherbug, advanced task killer, etc.

But why are these apps auto-starting:

Voice Commands
VZ Navigator
City ID
Maps
Gallery

Having less auto-starting apps mean more available memory. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do understand why this is difficult to understand in the begining, but after gaining full knowledge of how the Android O/S works, task killers make no sense at all

OP
D

dricacho

Reaction score
hookbill, you're right! I had a Storm (not Storm 2) as my last phone. Thanks for the reassurance that I don't have to think like a crackberry user anymore. I love my Fascinate!dancedroid

wideglide

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old post. Got here from Google.

I was wondering why it is that a task killer is not necessary. There are tons of task killer apps and the majority of them have positive comments so how can all of those people be wrong?

Logic says if a process is running more power is required to run that process which in turn drains the battery quicker. Also, no processor has an unlimited amount of processing power so why wouldn't killing running processes make it more efficient?

Will you please explain why you don't believe a task killer is necessary? I mean, what is about the os that makes it that way? Thanks for any info.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old post. Got here from Google.

I was wondering why it is that a task killer is not necessary. There are tons of task killer apps and the majority of them have positive comments so how can all of those people be wrong?

Logic says if a process is running more power is required to run that process which in turn drains the battery quicker. Also, no processor has an unlimited amount of processing power so why wouldn't killing running processes make it more efficient?

Will you please explain why you don't believe a task killer is necessary? I mean, what is about the os that makes it that way? Thanks for any info.

Take a read here FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

wideglide

Reaction score
Nevermind. I just saw the link up top with Google's thoughts on task killers.

francisbrown66

Reaction score
Background programs

I agree with dricacho, I do not see a reason for so many non-essential programs, like Skype and Vz Navigator, to be turning on by themselves. The argument could be made that they turn on early to be ready when we might want them, but the more logical explanation is that they are gathering and relaying information. It should be MY choice to permanently prohibit auto initialization or deletion of those programs altogether but Skype, Daily Briefing, Vz Navigator, etc... are beyond our touch and that does not sit well with me. Frankly, I am surprised at your attitude, Backnblack, of telling everyone not to worry about them running; CLEARLY they are performing a service for Verizon and other partnered corporations else they would not be self starting. I am researching Root because there are many aspects about the Android system I do not like when it cones to control of MY device.