Automatic Task killer, NOT Advanced Task Killer

hamitup

Reaction score
All i hear abt it Advance Task Killer. I have hardly ever here anyone mention AUTOMATIC TASK KILLER. With advanced task killer you have to manually kill the task everytime you want to kill it. With automatic task killer it does it itself. You set it to kill task like your games and apps that dont need to be running. Apps like email and sport notifications you leave unmarked and you dont ever have to worry abt it again. Seems to me this is the task killer that everyone would want to have. Try it out. Its Free.

J

Johnly

All day long I have no problem telling people the app is fluff, and you will just wast your own personal free time by buying into the "taskillers." But if you are bored, help yourself......they are never needed tho......

razorseal

Reaction score
problem with those is that they keep running and using the cpu to kill stuff draining the battery...

OP
hamitup

hamitup

Reaction score
well...would you rather have one (automatic task killer) or 30 or 40 other apps running???

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here we go again......:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking up that thread LifeIsABeach.;)

dmo580

Reaction score
well...would you rather have one (automatic task killer) or 30 or 40 other apps running???

The apps in memory are not actually running. They are sitting in memory waiting for you to use them again so they don't need to be reloaded. If the phone needs the memory for something it will unload them automatically. No need to do it yourself.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

Right so in terms of memory use task managers are NOT needed, but sometimes there are rogue apps that go crazy and start cyclign forever.

Example: Speedtest.net. Before I fixed my Telus Milestone's location.cfg file which requires a ROOT, the A-GPS would only use GPS Signal. Speedtest.net could not get my location, and without an EXIT button it would keep the GPS forever.

What do you need then? A Task Killer.

The bottom line is a task killer is a CTRL+ALT+DEL (sorry XP user here... I forgot what you do for Win 7).... You shouldn't need to end tasks all the time with CTRL +ALT+DEL. Preferably the X button works in Windows. However tehre's not even an exit button on all Android Apps... You need the CTRL+ALT+DEL once in a while on your computer, and you will need it sometimes on an Android phone.

There it is.

Also, I'm pretty sure loading and unloading apps to memory automatically takes CPU cycles too. Sure you may be FINE on the memory front, but it does waste a lot of CPU cycles.

Task managers shouldn't waste that much either. Consider everyone running Beautiful Widgets or a battery widget. Those eat power. So do custom home screens like ADW and LauncherPro. However it's like 1-2% of your battery anyways. I'm sure task managers don't eat much either.

yusky03

Reaction score
Before this get way out of hand I would just like to say that 'Advanced Task Killer' has an option to auto-kill also.

jarby

Reaction score
I did the whole task killer thing (no thanks to Verizon rep).........then I deleted the whole task killer thing as a test.
My phone runs smoother and I have tons of battery life by the end of the day.

SO, in retrospect.....I say NO to the task killers. Booooooo!

Now, I'm trying to convince my sister who just got a Droid why a task killer is not helping, but the Verizon rep told her to do so AND installed it on her phone for her, so word is born. She won't listen to me.

She'll come calling when her battery is poo by the middle of the day........live and learn.

terroh8er

Reaction score
I used to use task killers, but all too often I found that they would interrupt some of my apps that i wanted running and causing FCs on various other things, even after adding them to my exclude list. So I don't know. I do think that it made my phone run a bit smoother, but it wasn't worth the instability

orangepeel

Reaction score
Here we go again......:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking up that thread LifeIsABeach.;)

Now hook,lets not get like CB and start talking down our noses to everyone. Most people us an app killer to save the battery. I went asleep last night with Tweetcaster on and this morning my battery was dead,BUT I usually "kill" 3-4 apps that drain my battery overnight (not plugged in)with an app killer....yep that's all it's good for...I don't use it for more memory,only 3-4 apps that are hard on my battery...which I know I could just uninstall the apps but I'm partial to them.

This is how it's worked for ME.

Last edited:

BachinPhx

Reaction score
I have just uninstalled Apollo Task Killer. I had gone to this after bailing on Advanced Task Killer. I am sure that I will have some withdrawal symptoms for a couple of days but after the whole effect wears off, I am sure I will be okay. I can tell you that immediately after I uninstalled, the screen switching looked zippier right away. Placebo effect? Maybe but thinking this could be the real deal. I'll report back on battery usage but suspect it will only get better.

geetarspaz

Reaction score
i have had two motorola droid phones, one which i used the advanced task killer, and my new one which i dont. my new one performs much better. as long as you dont have 30 apps open at one time you will be fine. they task killers only create problems in the end, as the droid itself naturally kills apps on its own. for the time/battery you waste killing apps, it is better off leaving your phone off. this is just my own experience. i dont use any task killer apps, i think they are all a bunch of junk you dont need.