Does Eris have 256mb of Apps Memory?

sjleader

Reaction score
I am concerned. I have only one page of apps (of the 6 available) and I am almost out of space. You are right, as we go forward, they will take up more space. I hadn't realized what a huge limiting factor this is.... I am bummed.
I wonder if its possible to make an APP that will allow you to store APPS on the 8 GIG frikking card...

ColorNShape

Reaction score
THe salesman told me this phone had 1 gb of internal storage. NOt so, it seems. I have 44 mb free today.

ONe thing we can do is to check ''I need more space on my phone'' every time we uninstall an app.

I read that the app developer can direct the app to install to removable storage.

EVentually all apps will be made that way when possible, I bet.

Matt

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
It looks like some of the people posting in this thread are confusing RAM and ROM. I can see that some of you understand it, but for those that don't:

The Eris has 512 Mb ROM and 288 Mb RAM. The ROM is for apps, the Android OS, Sense UI, etc. The RAM (along with the processor) is for running all of that. The Eris "only" has 159 Mb left after the partition for the OS and Sense UI. The speculation around the web is that the partition is higher on the Eris/Hero because of Sense UI and all the extra widgets/software installed with it. It is also believed that HTC added a little bit of space to that partition as growing room for future OS updates and additions to Sense UI.

As far as running out of app space goes, I know several people that are still using the G1. This phone only had 256 Mb ROM with about 78 or 92 Mb for apps, BTW. They are still going strong with non-rooted phones and plenty of app space left. With rooted phones they are using the SD card and have apps stored on it. Once the Eris can be rooted this shouldn't be a problem for anyone either. Once rooted you will also be able to remove any of the preinstalled apps that you don't want. Once Google does an update that allows installation of apps to the SD card (rumored) then it won't be a problem either.

I will also say that I maintained a BB Curve with only 96 Mb (dropped down to 43 Mb with the OS installed) for about 2 years with no problems. You have to learn to prioritize what you need on a regular basis and what you are actually going to use. Some of the stuff out there may be cool to have and use every so often, but you don't need it on your phone all the time. Uninstall that crap and reinstall it when you actually need it.

agirlcalledbob

Reaction score
OfTheDamned, I'm caming from the Curve as well and I think I'm a memory hoarder because of it. Whether its good or bad, "only" having 159mb of free space makes me maintain a clean phone.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
OfTheDamned, I'm caming from the Curve as well and I think I'm a memory hoarder because of it. Whether its good or bad, "only" having 159mb of free space makes me maintain a clean phone.

I'm the same way in many respects. Would I like to have more memory on the phone? Of course I would, but I am not too concerned about it. By the time I really get to a point that I just "have to have" more, the phone will be rooted with all my apps on the SD card or I will be ready to upgrade to another device. Either way, I'm not that concerned. :)