Maps in Eris

Doheny

Reaction score
OK, I know the Eris doesn't have the same turn-by-turn mapping that the Moto Droid has, so what kind of map program does it have? "Just" Google maps (non turn-by-turn version)?

Also, can you run VZ Navigator on the Eris? For me, VZ Navigator works fine and I don't need much more, but I've heard it won't work on the Eris. I do wan't some kind of turn-by-turn mapping program, however.

(Sorry about the cross-posting, I didn't know there was a HTC forum when I posted in apps.)

xfeathersx

Reaction score
When the update comes out (around Dec.11th) you will be able to use turn by turn "as you call it" navagation app... I found Nav4all works great...Give it a try...I think you'll find it as useful as I did...

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
What type of accuracy do you find with Google Maps and the GPS? For the most part I think that it puts me within 500 feet of my location, but I find that the GPS shows me a mile or more away from where I actually am. This is most noticeable when I am at home and the one thing that is consistent is that this what I saw on my Blackberry, too.

My Garmin GPS is spot on, so I am curious how these two devices can be so off if they are using the same information source.

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Fairfax, I find the GPS with Google Maps to be very accurate on my Eris. When the GPS is turned off and it's using location information from the phone network, it usually places me (I'm assuming based on what I see) where the cell tower I am connecting to is.
That's a strange problem, made even more strange by the fact that you experience it with you BB too. I wonder if there's some sort of GPS interference where you are?

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
Fairfax, I find the GPS with Google Maps to be very accurate on my Eris. When the GPS is turned off and it's using location information from the phone network, it usually places me (I'm assuming based on what I see) where the cell tower I am connecting to is.
That's a strange problem, made even more strange by the fact that you experience it with you BB too. I wonder if there's some sort of GPS interference where you are?

Well, that was one of those 'doh!' moments...when I turned on the Enable GPS Satellites option under the Location setting things improved significantly, basically showing me within about 50 feet of my driveway. I think that the problem I have experienced using triangulation from cell towers (if that is how it is done using the network) may be related to the fact that service at my house from either Verizon or T-Mobile (BB) is not very good - 1 bar at best.

Last edited: