Do We Really Need A Screen Protector?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible to never scratch a screen, the glass they're using now is light years ahead of phones from 2 years ago. I think my screen protector just gives me peace of mind, I have insurance as well so maybe I'll end up taking mine off if everyone else has a good experience with the screen.

BadWolf

Reaction score
It's quite possible to scratch the glass. I have a very slight scratch on mine after 2 weeks of use. I work in a machine shop and have plenty of things there to scratch the screen. I had a slight scratch on my OG Droid and a Zagg invisible shield made the scratch disappear. I had that protector on for 20 months without a problem. Some don't like the orange peel look, or the plastic touch of the Zagg product, but it works well. I'll be putting one on my GNEX soon.

mdroid28

Reaction score
I never take any chances with my devices. On an $800 device, $20 for a lifetime warrantied Zagg shield is a no-brainer. I use them on all my devices and never had a problem. They are miles better than the junk Verizon sells you.

ice456789

Reaction score
The hair-width screen protector won't make a difference in a drop or a fall. If you had that screen protector on and you dropped your phone and it didn't crack, that means it wouldn't have cracked if you didn't have the screen protector. The only thing a protector can do in this case is mitigate the damage. It would maybe help (debatable how much it would help) a small crack from becoming a large crack but other than that it does nothing from to save you from an impact. It takes a large amount of force of impact to cause the reinforced glass in your phone to crack; that much force will not be mitigated by a <1mm flexible plastic film enough to make a real difference. That's like expecting rubber soled shoes to save you from lightning if you decide to play golf during a thunderstorm.

What they ARE useful for is keeping the screen scratch free. Sand in your pocket or on your hands can scratch the phone. Also some protectors make it easier to clean oils from your fingers off the screen or make those oils less visible. Finally, some provide interesting effects like privacy or a mirror finish. So in those ways they can provide protection but unfortunately they do not offer any impact protection.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Good Discussion here. and THanks for the input.

I have had screen protectors off and on. It does give me some peace of mind, but sometimes I felt that the screen protector took away from the touch screen experience a bit. has anyone else had any experience with that?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The hair-width screen protector won't make a difference in a drop or a fall. If you had that screen protector on and you dropped your phone and it didn't crack, that means it wouldn't have cracked if you didn't have the screen protector. The only thing a protector can do in this case is mitigate the damage. It would maybe help (debatable how much it would help) a small crack from becoming a large crack but other than that it does nothing from to save you from an impact. It takes a large amount of force of impact to cause the reinforced glass in your phone to crack; that much force will not be mitigated by a <1mm flexible plastic film enough to make a real difference. That's like expecting rubber soled shoes to save you from lightning if you decide to play golf during a thunderstorm.

What they ARE useful for is keeping the screen scratch free. Sand in your pocket or on your hands can scratch the phone. Also some protectors make it easier to clean oils from your fingers off the screen or make those oils less visible. Finally, some provide interesting effects like privacy or a mirror finish. So in those ways they can provide protection but unfortunately they do not offer any impact protection.

Check your windshield the next time you get in a car accident that breaks it, that 1mm film in between it saves lives. I don't think you can say for certain whether a screen protector helps absorb impact or not, I can definitely say it doesn't hurt it.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I have thought about a screen protector off and on, but never pulled the trigger because of all of the varying reviews for the same product. I would try a lot of them, but at fifteen to twenty bucks a pop, it is hard to justify. I guess I'll just keep researching and see if I find one that is consistently the best.
Orange peel
Hazy
Fingerprints
Hard to apply and dust and air bubbles
Gaps in upper right hand corner
Doesn't fit right
Too thick

I guess I am expecting too much, but it doesn't seem that hard to make a perfect screen protector. There are certain qualities that the bulk of people want.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
I have thought about a screen protector off and on, but never pulled the trigger because of all of the varying reviews for the same product. I would try a lot of them, but at fifteen to twenty bucks a pop, it is hard to justify. I guess I'll just keep researching and see if I find one that is consistently the best.
Orange peel
Hazy
Fingerprints
Hard to apply and dust and air bubbles
Gaps in upper right hand corner
Doesn't fit right
Too thick

I guess I am expecting too much, but it doesn't seem that hard to make a perfect screen protector. There are certain qualities that the bulk of people want.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
I feel EXACTLY the same way. It seems like the more research I do, the more confused and disapointed I get. Then I stumble across discussions where people don't believe in using them anymore.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Went for three years no screen protector or case. Used heavily and sold in perfect condition.

However my job requires sitting. No drilling or anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Went for three years no screen protector or case. Used heavily and sold in perfect condition.

However my job requires sitting. No drilling or anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input SSH. I am in the same boat, sitting job.... and while at work, my phone just sits in a drawer. ... I may just go with out the screen protector for a while. I do have a solid case on my phone at the moment that should cover in bumps and bruses on the sides and back.

ice456789

Reaction score
Check your windshield the next time you get in a car accident that breaks it, that 1mm film in between it saves lives. I don't think you can say for certain whether a screen protector helps absorb impact or not, I can definitely say it doesn't hurt it.
1) The plastic in a screen protector is nothing like what is used in windshields.

2) The film in windshields does not prevent the window from breaking, it just prevents the pieces from flying everywhere. It does nothing at all for absorbing impact energy. If it did, our soldiers would be wearing a 1 mm piece of plastic instead of a 20lb flak jacket. I really wish that was the case.

JimmySVT

Reaction score
I managed to put a couple of hairline scratches on the screen of my old Droid 1. So, needless to say, i bought a screen protector for this phone. The scratches were from carrying in my pocket. So the screen protector gives me some piece of mind.

JimmySVT

Reaction score
1) The plastic in a screen protector is nothing like what is used in windshields.

2) The film in windshields does not prevent the window from breaking, it just prevents the pieces from flying everywhere. It does nothing at all for absorbing impact energy. If it did, our soldiers would be wearing a 1 mm piece of plastic instead of a 20lb flak jacket. I really wish that was the case.

You are exactly right. I work in the auto industry, the film is an anti-shatter device. Just keeps the glass from spraying the driver and
PHP:
passenger in the event the glass breaks. The glass the auto industry uses is something else though. It is extremely hard to break. We've had to bust driver side windows out with ball-peen hammers its extremely hard to do, dont even try windshields. The object has got to be sharp for a quick puncture. Auto glass is extremely resilient. The downside is it scratches very very easy.

When it comes down to it, its all just physics. Just like working with steel. Higher Rockwell Hardness means its more durable and scratch resistant, but becomes more brittle. I dont believe there is a wonder glass the does the best of all. Just gotta pick whats right for you.

doublea500

Reaction score
Screen protectors are not a big deal. pay a few $ to get them, put it on your phone carefully and thats the end of that. itll stay on for a few months. if you have a good one you will not see or feel it unless you really try. your paying $300+ for a phone that does not even have gorilla glass, get all the protection you can get, especially the camo protection a screen protector provides.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

So take this for what it's worth, but I called my father who's a mechanical engineer for Ford. I asked him what material they use in windshields to prevent them from crumbling during a shatter/crack, he said "it's similar to the films you would use on your phone or tablet."

I didn't even tell him why I was asking about it, he just threw that at me.

As I said, I think you'd be surprised if there were tests done to show how much a "thin piece of plastic" helps absorbing an impact.

There's also a bit of a difference between absorbing a bullet and absorbing a fall to a hard surface from 3-5'' feet, your analogy is flawed.

The fact remains you have no proof proving that it doesn't help, while it's common knowledge that plastics are often used to absorb impact, whether they are thin or thick.

Last edited: