What Screen Protector and Case Combo Works Best?

element192

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to exchange my Nexus for a new one (at Costco) and I want to take the opportunity of having a new phone again to use a screen protector (even though I hate them). My Nexus is only six weeks old and has a pretty nasty scratch right in the upper middle of the screen and is driving me absolutely crazy. I sit at a desk all day and I am super careful with the phone (never dropped) and have NO IDEA how the scratch even got there, I had my OG for 2 years without a screen protector and never had a single scratch on it. So now I'm thinking that for the first year or so I'll just use a screen protector.

I have used wet application screen protectors in the past and really hate the feel of them, and I hear the dry ones have a much better feel to them. I know the Steinheil one doesn't go edge to edge because of the curve of the screen, how annoying is that to people who have it installed? I've heard the Martin Fields go more edge to edge but will begin to peel up. What I'm wondering is if you use the Martin Fields with a case that goes slightly over the front edge of the phone will it hold down the screen protector? That seems like it would give the best of both worlds, has anyone tried that yet?

I've also heard about Boxwave and Clarivue. If anyone has any other suggestions of which dry screen protectors would work for me I would really appreciate it.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I use the Otterbox Defender case, which comes with a polycarbonate screen protector. It's bulky, but definitely protects your phone, and comes with a belt clip, if you use those.

OP
E

element192

Reaction score
I use the Otterbox Defender case, which comes with a polycarbonate screen protector. It's bulky, but definitely protects your phone, and comes with a belt clip, if you use those.

Thanks for the reply, I think the Defender is too bulky for my taste. I think the Commuter comes with the same screen protector, how do you like it? Is it pretty clear, any bubbles?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I use the SGP Ultra Oleophobic and love it.

To read more on topics like this search "Screen protectors" and find the thread "Screen & Body Protectors". It was started by ilikemoneygreen.

OP
E

element192

Reaction score
I use the SGP Ultra Oleophobic and love it.

To read more on topics like this search "Screen protectors" and find the thread "Screen & Body Protectors". It was started by ilikemoneygreen.

Thanks for the advice, I just finished reading through it. It sounds like the SGP was the only dry screen protector used and it sounds like you are pretty happy with it. Is that still the case after another month or so of use? I'm hoping that adding a case (like the Diztronic or something) will help reduce the obvious visibility of the gap between the edge of the phone and the screen protector. I am mostly concerned with "feel" when looking for a screen protector, I hate the feel of Invisible Shield type screen protectors.