Cracked my screen :(

OP
L

LostRacer

Reaction score
Any idea on swapping the internal storage? I'd assume everything would come over. I got no hits on my thread asking about it.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
You still have your entire motherboard right? More than likely the one in this phone is scrap. I would just swap them out. Or if you had issues with your old motherboard, just swap out the board that contains the SIM card slot and the hard drive.

azdrifter

Reaction score
I went through that with a GS3 my friend had,he cracked the screen 3 weeks after he purchased it so he found a replacement screen but it came without the digitizer attached. I ended up using a heat gun to separate the two and found that those screens are pretty tough because I was worried about the screen having dark spots from the heat gun but it turned out perfect and it all went back together fine.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I went through that with a GS3 my friend had,he cracked the screen 3 weeks after he purchased it so he found a replacement screen but it came without the digitizer attached. I ended up using a heat gun to separate the two and found that those screens are pretty tough because I was worried about the screen having dark spots from the heat gun but it turned out perfect and it all went back together fine.

Wait... so you were able to successfully get the glass and the lcd separated? Then get them reattached?

azdrifter

Reaction score
Yeah but we ended up having to use a really thin double stick clear tape,first we had to get all the adhesive off the digitizer. But I learned about using the thin tape when we pulled the back off of a Razor to jump the battery and bring it out of bootloop after killing the battery, my nephew works for a tech and he gets us really good alcohol to clean the adhesive off the parts and re-apply the new tape.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Yeah but we ended up having to use a really thin double stick clear tape,first we had to get all the adhesive off the digitizer. But I learned about using the thin tape when we pulled the back off of a Razor to jump the battery and bring it out of bootloop after killing the battery, my nephew works for a tech and he gets us really good alcohol to clean the adhesive off the parts and re-apply the new tape.

The 3M stuff?

Sent from my XOOM with Jelly Bean!

azdrifter

Reaction score
The 3M stuff?

Sent from my XOOM with Jelly Bean!

Yeah and my nephew told me that they pay about $140 for a case of 3 rolls, which for me is too expensive. We had such a hard time applying it because it was so thin I had to take it off twice and the third time it finally layed down just right. You really have to look closely to see that it is not the original adhesive that they use in the factory but my friend was happy with the outcome he had a clean screen and didn't have to put out another $100 or more for the combo.Now using it on the back of the Razr maxx was no issue because if you get a crease in the tape you will not see it anyways. It's definitely not something I want to tackle again I would rather pay the $150 for the combo.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Yeah and my nephew told me that they pay about $140 for a case of 3 rolls, which for me is too expensive. We had such a hard time applying it because it was so thin I had to take it off twice and the third time it finally layed down just right. You really have to look closely to see that it is not the original adhesive that they use in the factory but my friend was happy with the outcome he had a clean screen and didn't have to put out another $100 or more for the combo.Now using it on the back of the Razr maxx was no issue because if you get a crease in the tape you will not see it anyways. It's definitely not something I want to tackle again I would rather pay the $150 for the combo.

Yeah it sounds like too much of a headache. I'm still trying to find out if anyone has been able to use a water damaged display from a Samsung. I've successfully replaced cracked displays on Droid RAZRs with displays from water damaged phones for less than the cost of a brand new display assembly.

naman919

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like too much of a headache. I'm still trying to find out if anyone has been able to use a water damaged display from a Samsung. I've successfully replaced cracked displays on Droid RAZRs with displays from water damaged phones for less than the cost of a brand new display assembly.

That's actually a pretty clever idea. I'd like to know this as well.

naman919

Reaction score
Cracked my glass. Anyone tried the water damaged screen trick yet? Or successfully separated the glass and LCD?

OP
L

LostRacer

Reaction score
You can. But I broke down and bought a parts phone. I didn't have the patience plus the frustration of possibly not doing it right would haunt me.