Very thick screen protector?

Banyon

Reaction score
Ok, parts of what I'm about to explain and ask for have been covered in other topics, but I have been searching for 5 days to no avail.

I recently cracked my screen (not just cracked, the whole screen is one big spiderweb, so I guess DESTROYED is a better term). I really just want to replace the glass or even put in a piece of the plastic they are supposedly using on the new droids instead of gorilla glass, but I can not find a place that sells these for the life of me.

I have found places that sell the glass digitizer combo, but you have to pay for both AND installation, which is like $159. I know how to do the install, I just want the glass, so this doesn't help.

So here is my question.. the glass is shaped the same way as the screen protectors, is there a THICK screen protector or shield that I could maybe just lay in place of the glass untill I can find someone that sells the replacement screen, even if I would have to double it up. Something a bit more durable than just a thin film of plastic.

I have insurance (so that's not the issue), I just cant justify spending $89 right now to replace a perfectly functioning phone just because I'm a dumbass and Verizon won't sell me a $5 hunk of glass.

S

spacemanps

the cracks may lead to bubbles in the screen protector... try the invisashield? that stuff is pretty damn thick..

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
the cracks may lead to bubbles in the screen protector... try the invisashield? that stuff is pretty damn thick..

I'm looking to actually take the glass out and replace it with a thick screen shield, so there will be no issues with bubbles, I just need something that is more like acrylic than film.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, parts of what I'm about to explain and ask for have been covered in other topics, but I have been searching for 5 days to no avail.

I recently cracked my screen (not just cracked, the whole screen is one big spiderweb, so I guess DESTROYED is a better term). I really just want to replace the glass or even put in a piece of the plastic they are supposedly using on the new droids instead of gorilla glass, but I can not find a place that sells these for the life of me.

I have found places that sell the glass digitizer combo, but you have to pay for both AND installation, which is like $159. I know how to do the install, I just want the glass, so this doesn't help.

So here is my question.. the glass is shaped the same way as the screen protectors, is there a THICK screen protector or shield that I could maybe just lay in place of the glass untill I can find someone that sells the replacement screen, even if I would have to double it up. Something a bit more durable than just a thin film of plastic.

I have insurance (so that's not the issue), I just cant justify spending $89 right now to replace a perfectly functioning phone just because I'm a dumbass and Verizon won't sell me a $5 hunk of glass.

It's not Verizon, it's Motorola and somebody around here has been trying to get Motorola to work with them on giving replacement glass but as of right now I do not know of anybody who sells replacement glass.

Wadzii

Reaction score
check ebay for a replacement glass.. i think i saw those on ebay a week or so ago for around $80

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
grrr, I don't understand why there isn't a cheaper solution. I've been checking ebay and amazon for almost a week. I've looked in every nook and cranny I could find on the internet and have yet to find anything acceptable. All i want to do if fix this damn phone at a reasonable cost. if its going to cost me $80 just for the $5 piece of glass, I might as well throw in the extra $9 and get a new phone.

All I want is a nice thick piece of plastic to put in place of the glass for about a month, something similar to what came on the phone when you got it new out of box, except maybe a bit thicker... just something to keep me from spending $90 I don't want to shell out right now.

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
It's not Verizon, it's Motorola and somebody around here has been trying to get Motorola to work with them on giving replacement glass but as of right now I do not know of anybody who sells replacement glass.

I scanned the motorola boards and contacted them, with the phone now being out of warrenty due to "abuse" they will replace my glass for $75, but according to what I've read, it is a nightmare to actually get them to do it, and might end up spending much more than that $14 just in shipping fees.

Also according to the motorola boards, the droid it no longer made with Gorilla glass. They now use a scratch prone heavy duty plastic, which is why I can't understand why you can't find replacement parts anywhere. The plastic screens should be easy enough to manufacture in mass, why not sell them?

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
I don`t want to sound like a Dum A** but what about putting 3 screen protectors together?

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
I don`t want to sound like a Dum A** but what about putting 3 screen protectors together?

Because all the screen protectors I have found are film, you can put 5 together if you want, still makes them flimsy and crappy.

I'm looking for something thicker like the screen protector that came on the phone when it was still in the box (matter of fact I would use that if I could get the text off of it).

I found something for iPhone, its the Griffin Screen Care Kit. Its nice and thick, they sell them in packs of three. I would just buy one and cut it down to size, but the hole for the iphones home key would leave a weird U shape over my home buttons and the slit for the speaker is in a different location.

2.jpg

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
[ I'm looking for something thicker like the screen protector that came on the phone when it was still in the box (matter of fact I would use that if I could get the text off of it). [/QUOTE]

The text is very easy to scratch off. I kept mine on for a long time until it started to peal badly, then I switched to the Invisishield.

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
The text is very easy to scratch off. I kept mine on for a long time until it started to peal badly, then I switched to the Invisishield.

Actually after reading your message I started to wonder why I'm not just using that.

I went and dug it out, its a lot thinner than I remember. Not what I need after all.

The ones in the picture above are very thick, almost like a thin bendy plexiglass. They are probably as thick as 7 of the normal "screen protectors" layered on top one another. I am almost temped to just buy a sheet of some thin plexiglass and just try to cut it to fix.

Anyone know for sure how thick the droid glass is for sure? I don't want to crack open my droid to remove it untill I am sure I either have a fix, or I can cough up the $90 if I totaly break it.

OP
B

Banyon

Reaction score
Thank you Tizo, although this shop (like everywhere else), either sells the glass with the digitizer, or only the digitizer, (my digitizer is fine, just need the glass), those screen protectors look promising. They look very close to the Griffin screen kits I listed above, I may try them. It wont work "perfect" for what I need since the section over the sensor is cut out, they will bring me that much closer to my goal... and only 1.99 + shipping to boot.