Contacts stored at Google?

OP
F
Reaction score
To the OP you may want to consider some sort of security app for your phone like wave secure. Because there is probably more of a chance that your phone will get lost or stolen rather than your gmail account being hacked.

Good point and thanks for sharing. I've been concerned about this very thing and surprised something wasn't built into the Droid to erase information in the, fairly probable event, that one might lose their phone. The Blackberry has some kind of feature that is supposed to do exactly this.

OP
F
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why people who don't want to use google buy a "Google Experience" phone. In any case, you can get rid of everything on google by following the information here

Seems unreasonable to equate "Google Experience" into meaning my personal address book suddenly gets transferred to Google. It's just a cell phone.

If you are looking for just a phone, why did you get a smart-phone?

My mother is quite fond of saying it's a computer that can make phone calls, which is a better description for most smart-phones.

I should have given Blackberry a chance. I have a gut feeling that phone is targeted for professionals as opposed to 17 year old kids. But, for the most part the Droid is okay.

lschicky

Reaction score
I should have given Blackberry a chance. I have a gut feeling that phone is targeted for professionals as opposed to 17 year old kids. But, for the most part the Droid is okay.

The Droid is aimed at professionals as well. The sidekick is aimed at 17 year olds. A lack of understanding & research about Android as an OS, and what the goals and processes doesn't disqualify the phone from being professional. Android was designed with integration of Google Services & the open source nature of *nix based systems.

btw, you will have that issue with syncing to Google with all android phones so if you do switch from a Droid, you might want to keep that in mind.

Frankly, if a job is going to require a certain level of security about contact info & work in general, they should supply you with a work phone/computer/etc.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
People need to relax - all your information is already on the web. It's going to get there no matter what steps you take.

You can buy data about anyone including the names of neighbors, friends, relatives, etc... privacy ended a long time ago.

lschicky

Reaction score
People need to relax - all your information is already on the web. It's going to get there no matter what steps you take.

You can buy data about anyone including the names of neighbors, friends, relatives, etc... privacy ended a long time ago.

yep. Google yourself, or go to whitepages.com there is a lot out there even for free.

Real Privacy stopped existing years ago, unless you live completely off the grid these days. More often then not, no one really cares about your info.

korp

Reaction score
The sync to google serves as a backup tool .... that's why it was created. In the case that you were to ruin your phone and not have sync on .... poof all the contacts = GONE.

OP
F
Reaction score
I think the target market is for people who aren't paranoid mid lifers who aren't sure how to use a smartphone.

Read what I wrote. It was annoying. It was unexpected and unusual for a phone to store phone numbers onto Google. This has nothing to do with "knowing how to use a smartphonse."

There's no need to be condescending so grow up already. No one want's to hear it.

Last edited:

kevin1016

Reaction score
I have a feeling the OP is not really concerned about having his phone contacts on a secured Gmail account. I honestly believe there's a demographic that just like to complain on the internet. Especially when there's something in the news about said complaint...*cough*Googlebuzzprivacyissues*cough*. I say anti-Google troll. Or just a tin foil hat.

OP
F
Reaction score
Judging from the responses in this thread I'd say the Droid is for the immature crowd. Maybe I'll give the Blackberry a try this weekend. I couldn't get the Droid to connect to my work email anyway. I really hated that sound it made when it said "Droid" in a robotic tone. I'm sure 17 year old kids think it's really "cool," but that just doesn't work for me while in my office or at a meeting.

Thanks for your help kids

ta ta

lschicky

Reaction score
I think the target market is for people who aren't paranoid mid lifers who aren't sure how to use a smartphone.

Read what I wrote. It was annoying. It was unexpected and unusual for a phone to store phone numbers onto Google. This has nothing to do with "knowing how to use a smartphonse."

There's no need to be condescending so grow up already. No one want's to hear it.

The point is, Google syncing your contacts with gmail is not unexpected or unusual for a phone. It's been standard from the start of android, it was one of the first selling points to it. even iphone syncs your contacts with itunes. the tmobile sidekick synced contacts with a server, they fully stored theirs there which had bad side effects when that server crashed.

So the real source of the problem was you didn't do your research, don't blame the phone for that.

lschicky

Reaction score
I have a feeling the OP is not really concerned about having his phone contacts on a secured Gmail account. I honestly believe there's a demographic that just like to complain on the internet. Especially when there's something in the news about said complaint...*cough*Googlebuzzprivacyissues*cough*. I say anti-Google troll. Or just a tin foil hat.

Probably, but not a very good troll if it is, when its a clear case of user error.