Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Here asks for access to all the same information as Google Maps - contacts, files, etc. That's what I want to avoid. If anyone knows how to update Google Maps or knows of another map program that DOES NOT ask for all that information I would love to know. At least with my Blackberrys there was no Google account associated with them so I wasn't asked for all my info just to update a map.

Would it help if I explained to you why a maps app in general would need that information or is this something you are strictly against for one reason or another? Feel free to list the permissions it asks for and I'll be happy to explain.

Hate to break it to you, but if you don't want Google knowing everything about you, you might want to consider a different OS or going with a "dumb phone."

A different OS would not help you. Even if you went to iOS they ask for the same exact permissions when you use their Maps app except they don't really tell you unless you feel like reading a long-winded Terms of Service agreement (except Contacts. I forgot it actually does have a pop up that says do you want this to have access to contacts or something like that). I'm not familiar with Blackberry's OS, but I'm pretty sure it's the same circumstances.

It all really boils down to understanding what convenience vs. privacy really means. To me, if the company is transparent enough to at least post what they are asking for, then that's fine by me. Making me sift through ToS...is not something I want to spend my day doing. At least Google, in my opinion anyways, has the best approach which is biting them because of privacy advocates.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would it help if I explained to you why a maps app in general would need that information or is this something you are strictly against for one reason or another? Feel free to list the permissions it asks for and I'll be happy to explain.

A different OS would not help you. Even if you went to iOS they ask for the same exact permissions when you use their Maps app except they don't really tell you unless you feel like reading a long-winded Terms of Service agreement (except Contacts. I forgot it actually does have a pop up that says do you want this to have access to contacts or something like that). I'm not familiar with Blackberry's OS, but I'm pretty sure it's the same circumstances.

It all really boils down to understanding what convenience vs. privacy really means. To me, if the company is transparent enough to at least post what they are asking for, then that's fine by me. Making me sift through ToS...is not something I want to spend my day doing. At least Google, in my opinion anyways, has the best approach which is biting them because of privacy advocates.
Since they added browsers (Google search engine) to dumb phones and a gps/911 chip (vznav type app) they've had the capability. On smart phones they just ask you to give permission now.
It is usually buried in the details section of the permissions before you download ,or update bloatware, an app what they intend to do with them. A very popular flashlight app was recently shown as an example of what nefarious things are done (written in their details openly) with users information including contacts once permission is granted. They're all pretty honest about what they intend to do with our information, counting on us to ignore the tos details.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not to even mention this information is used to assist you.
It's pretty nice to be able to speak to my phone and say "Navigate Home".

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It does come in pretty handy. I just ask Google to "plot a rout to [wherever]" and it has yet to let me down. I even asked to plot a route to a park about 30 miles away and didn't even need to tell Google where it was and it got it right.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And, of course, Google Maps is my Yellow Pages. How can I find a plumber near me quickly if G doesn't know where I live? ;)

TapaTurbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I actually got a phone book in the mail the other day. I laughed for a good 5 minutes. Can't remember the last time I actually used one to look up a number.

Sent from my Note 4