What Google account do you use in your phone?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Do you use your Google account (gmail account) to store all your contacts? If not, do you create a new google account just to store phone contacts?

My previous phone was a non smartphone, I was wondering if it is a good idea that I create a new Google account and store all my phone numbers to a new Google account contacts (use the Google account for phone contacts only), instead of storing phone numbers to my existing Google account (personal gmail account that I use for email)?

I heard that changing the primary Google account would need to perform factory reset on our devices, is it a very hard process to change/switch primary google account?

Thanks

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

The least complex way is to use the same account to register the phone as you use for contacts. The idea of having to do a factory reset would only apply if you want to lose any paid apps. In short you can have multiple Google accounts on the same phone.

Did that answer your question?

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
What do you mean by "use the same account to register the phone as you use for contacts", where is the register the phone step?

If you want to access another Google account B, do you need to register the Google account B to use it in the phone? Can the phone have 2 Google primary account?

If you bought/download/install an app (for example whatsapp or a game) in the phone using Google account A, after that you change to Google account B, does account B see the app in the phone? Can Google account B use the app?

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not 100% positive about what you are asking in the first 2 paragraphs but the 3rd is clear. If you bought anything from the Google Store with any account, say Account A, the app stays with that account. You can delete that account but you would not be able access "paid" apps that were purchased with that account. However, there is a main account, the one you used to set the phone up. You can add additional Google accounts but the one you used to set the phone up will still be the primary.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
1. Is there a guide on how to change the primary Google account (the one you used to set the phone up)?

2. Are there any differences of the primary Google account and the additional accounts? (I was just thinking if primary can do more things/more privileges?)

3. Can you use primary and additional account at the same time? For example using primary account to check primary account gmail and using secondary account to sms one of the contacts in secondary account.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
#1. There is a process you can go through by contacting Google to "change" your account name. Process explained here Change your username - Accounts Help

#2 The primary, first, account is the one attached to all the apps. Otherwise there is not a ton of benefit for any additional accounts.

#3 I don't think so. The calendar, for instance, is tied to only one account as are the contacts.

You can add additional G-Mail accounts to check mail without the need to add the account in the accounts section of the setup.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
A. What do you mean by "The primary, first, account is the one attached to all the apps"? When using additional accounts (non primary) the apps would not be able to work?

B. When you are using an additional Google account login, does that mean that all Google services and phone services will be using that additional Google account too? (e.g. calendar, contacts, whatsapp, apps)

C. When you are using an additional Google account login, are there any apps/services/phone function that are still using the primary/other Google accounts?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
A. When you first setup the phone, you put in the primary account. The apps will work. All you can do with any other Gmail account is set it up so you can get email. From what I can tell from your posts, there's no reason for you to use 2 separate Gmail accounts.

B. Again, an additional Gmail account will only be setup to receive emails. Everything rise that users a google account will only allow you to use one of them to login, though some may let you choose which one.

C. Discussed above in a & b.

Maybe if we had more information on why you'd want a secondary Gmail account in the first place, we could better assist you in your quest. As it stands right now, each phone is setup to allow one user to input their Google account info. That account will be tied to the calendar, contacts, app store & etc. If you setup an additional Gmail account, you won't just log out of the one that you set the phone up with & login with the new one. You will do a factory reset, which puts the phone back into the state it was in when you first got it & set it up from scratch. If you then set the phone up with the new Gmail account, you won't have any of the contacts, calendar events, or apps that you've downloaded, because they'll be tied to that original account. Of those 3 things, losing apps is the lowest concern unless you paid for them. You'll have to buy those again if you're going to continue to use the new address.

Hope that helps in some small way to clarify, but, again, if we better understand what you're trying to accomplish, we can help you better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
#1. There is a process you can go through by contacting Google to "change" your account name. Process explained here Change your username - Accounts Help
I don't mean I want to change the Google account username. I mean I have 2 Google account and sometimes I want to use Google account A (to work with everything related to A) , and sometimes I want to use Google account B (to work with everything related to B)

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
What I trying to accomplish is I am thinking of using 2 different Google accounts on the same phone, one for personal use and one for business.

So I am wondering if there is a way like sometimes you set up/login primary account using Google account A (personal contacts/gmail/calendar/apps/whatsapp contacts...(to work with everything related to A)), and sometimes you set up/login primary account using Google account B (business contacts/gmail/calendar/apps/whatsapp contacts...(to work with everything related to B))

(An analogy would be like logging into different Google accounts on a PC. or like logging into different admin user in Windows 7. Once you are logged into the particular account, everything you see/do is related to that account.)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wow, this turned into a more difficult thread than it needed to be. lol
Simple answer, yes you can do everything you're looking to do with multiple accounts.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You cannot swap profiles on phones. It is available for tablets however. There are also some carriers that have the option to spilt work and play with software that they have.

IsixedThat

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While you do need a primary account, you can set up your device to read contacts and calendar entries from multiple accounts, OR one or the other. Been doing it since my S3.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
That is how I am set up. I have two accounts. All of my work contacts are prefixed with the company name so they are neatly arranged inside of my contacts.

Ex:
DF cr6
DF dfman
DF Ollie

It stacks them nicely so they aren't scattered out inside of my personal contacts.

IsixedThat

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Wow, this turned into a more difficult thread than it needed to be. lol
Simple answer, yes you can do everything you're looking to do with multiple accounts.

S5 tap'n

While you do need a primary account, you can set up your device to read contacts and calendar entries from multiple accounts, OR one or the other. Been doing it since my S3.

S5 tap'n

Can you explain the steps that you do to setup?