What Google account do you use in your phone?

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
That is how I am set up. I have two accounts. All of my work contacts are prefixed with the company name so they are neatly arranged inside of my contacts.

Ex:
DF cr6
DF dfman
DF Ollie

It stacks them nicely so they aren't scattered out inside of my personal contacts.

IsixedThat

I am assuming that you have one account containing your personal contacts and one account containing your work contacts.

If you are log into one account now, how do you switch account when you want to see and use the contacts of the other account?

If one of the account is the primary account that you setup the phone, how do you see and use the contacts of the other account without factory reset?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Let's say my personal account for friends and family is Account 1. My work account is Account 2.

I load Account 1 and then immediately load Account 2 afterwards. What this does is load all contacts from Account 1 and Account 2.

The way I have my work contacts set up (described in prior post) lets me easily see all of my work contacts in one section of the contacts that are mixed together because of the way I name them.

If you don't want to rename work contacts like I do you can simply choose to see only your work contacts by:

1. Opening your phone dialer.
2. Select the Contacts Tab.
3. Press the Menu key.
4. Scroll down to Contacts to Display.
5. Uncheck All Contacts.
6. Checkmark your Work Email.

It will then only display your work contacts. You can then checkmark your personal account afterwards to re-access those contacts.

This is on a Samsung phone. Your phone may vary.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Let's say my personal account for friends and family is Account 1. My work account is Account 2.

I load Account 1 and then immediately load Account 2 afterwards. What this does is load all contacts from Account 1 and Account 2.

Can you explain the steps that you do to load the accounts?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sure. Since I have been using Google for a while now migrating contacts is simple.

On my phone I go to Settings, General, Accounts.

Select New Account, Select Google, Select Existing.

Enter your account info and then select what all it will sync.

Then do it again for the second account.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Ollie, if you delete/edit a contact, will it also sync?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Only if you have the sync option enabled under your account settings. I think it defaults to syncing so unless you unchecked it then it should sync with Google's servers.

IsixedThat

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Only if you have the sync option enabled under your account settings. I think it defaults to syncing so unless you unchecked it then it should sync with Google's servers.
IsixedThat

Where is the account settings that you talking about?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Which phone are you using?

Account settings:

Settings, General, Accounts.
Select Google.
Select the email address.

There will be a bunch of options to check or uncheck regarding photos, mail, wallet, drive storage, etc depending on your wants and needs.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I am using Samsung Galaxy S4

5squared

Reaction score
Wow.. Wish I had seen this thread earlier.. I have 4 Google accounts on my phone and there is no difficulty at all with it.

Sent from my M8 on a Revolution..

TatDroid

Reaction score
You cannot swap profiles on phones. It is available for tablets however. There are also some carriers that have the option to spilt work and play with software that they have.

IsixedThat
Beginning with the Lollipop version of Android you CAN! That feature, previously only on Android tablets, will now be available on phones. You could have, for example, a work profile and a personal profile. Each totally separate, with separate contacts, etc.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Beginning with the Lollipop version of Android you CAN! That feature, previously only on Android tablets, will now be available on phones. You could have, for example, a work profile and a personal profile. Each totally separate, with separate contacts, etc.
Those are my intentions. It will eliminate one phone for me. The only problem with 5.0 is that it isn't a universal upgrade for everyone. My devices are always new enough to receive the most recent updates, but many people will still have to manage multiple accounts combined on one profile. I'm looking forward to it!

victoriak68

Reaction score
What do you mean by "use the same account to register the phone as you use for contacts", where is the register the phone step?

If you want to access another Google account B, do you need to register the Google account B to use it in the phone? Can the phone have 2 Google primary account?

If you bought/download/install an app (for example whatsapp or a game) in the phone using Google account A, after that you change to Google account B, does account B see the app in the phone? Can Google account B use the app?
When you first start your Android device you'll be asked to register a gmail email address (Google account). It is recommended that you register the primary account that you intend to use for everything Android. At that point your device will automatically be set to sync everything like contacts, gmail, and all purchases you make in the Google Play Store. You can change sync settings later if you wish to use a secondary Google account to store contacts. To add a secondary Google account you only need to go to your settings/General tab/Accounts, scroll to bottom of account list and select "Add Account". Then select Google. There you will be asked to add either a new or existing Google account. After both primary and secondary accounts have been added you can click on each to select what items you want synced with each account. No factory reset should be necessary unless your phone is going bonkers and cannot be fixed.

Hope this helps.

victoriak68

Reaction score
I don't mean I want to change the Google account username. I mean I have 2 Google account and sometimes I want to use Google account A (to work with everything related to A) , and sometimes I want to use Google account B (to work with everything related to B)
You can have both accounts fully synced to your phone and you'll be able to switch between the two via a drop down menu in the main menu of any Google app you'll be using. Apps, music, books purchased under Google account A will sync with Google account A only, same goes for B. You'll have access to both email accounts. As for contacts I can only speak from experience in using my two accounts. I only have contacts syncing with my primary account (A).

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I had a few Google accounts before ever getting my first Android phone. I created a new one just to use on my phone. This is the one I link my contacts to. I don't use that e-mail for anything that is not tech or android related so I don't have to worry about a bunch of e-mail coming to that address.