Clockwork Boot Loader keeps getting replaced

mudtoe

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I'm running a motorola droid with a rooted 2.0.1 OS. I was looking to upgrade to bugless beast 0.4 in order to get a netfilter enabled kernel. I installed Titanium backup and Rom Manager in order to get ready. The backup worked fine, but I'm having problems with either the ROM Manager or the Clockwork boot loader. It seems that I can only get a single boot out of clockwork until it's replaced with the stock boot loader. I've tried reinstalling it several times with ROM Manager, and I've tried flashing back and forth several times to an alternate recovery and then back. No matter what I do clockwork keeps getting replaced. Also, ROM manager reports that clockwork is the current recovery manager in all cases (i.e. I have to flash it over itself according to ROM Manager in order to put it back for a single boot). The ROM Manager version is Premium v2.0.1.7 (the current one in the marketplace) and the clockwork recovery is version 2.5.0.1 (I also tried the backlevel version 2.5.0.0 with the same results).

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I suppose I could install flash clockwork, and then install the new ROM before using my one good reboot, however, without knowing what's wrong, I'm a little hesitant to do it. Also, I noticed that I get an error when I try to run the fix permissions script, even though I have verified that the phone is correctly rooted (when using su in a terminal window the prompt changes to a # and when I do a whoami it shows as "root"). Also, if the phone wasn't rooted properly I'd assume that I couldn't change the boot loader even once.

Suggestions welcome.

mudtoe

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bootloader is holding up when booting up. What you are talking about is recovery mode it seems. If you can't boot into clockwork, flash SPRecovery then reflash Clockwork.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
bootloader is holding up when booting up. What you are talking about is recovery mode it seems. If you can't boot into clockwork, flash SPRecovery then reflash Clockwork.
And titans is exactly correct. It sounds to me that somewhere along the way either the busybox binary didn't get installed correctly or more so, this (these) command(s) may need to be run (since you definately have root):

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]su[/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system[/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old[/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system[/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]sync[/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]reboot[/FONT]
[/LIST]

Above when I mention "this" command it might be solved with only #3, but you will probably have to run them all. What this does is remove the 'backup' of your recovery image so that your phone will ALWAYS boot with your custom recovery image; whether CMRecovery or SPRecovery.

Good luck

OP
M

mudtoe

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, and you all are right, it wasn't the bootloader, it was the recovery environment. I ended up taking a chance and flashing clockwork again and then before rebooting, and using up my single instance of having clockwork be the recovery manager before being mysteriously replaced, I invoked the upgrade to bugless beast from ROM Manager.

Clockwork performed the upgrade, which worked fine, and after that the problem with clockwork being replaced went away; I've booted several times since then into the recovery environment and clockwork has been there each time. Unfortunately I did it before I saw teddyearp's post, so I won't know if his proposed solution would have worked.

I'm not sure how 2.0.1 got screwed up, but I did perform the rooting process via a long and cumbersome manual process, as I did it pretty early in product cycle using one of the early sets of instructions before the process was made easier and safer. I probably didn't execute it quite right, and left something not quite done right.

mudtoe

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Good, glad it's working for you now. And just for kicks, from your description of how you got it working, I am not sure if my solution would have worked either. I now lean to wondering if busybox was installed and symlinked properly. Now we'll never no. I too, rooted way back when the old school way, but installed busybox at the same time. I still like the old ways, as though some of the stuff now may be easier, IMHO the jury is still out as to whether it's safer, lol.