Clockwork/SPRecovery Questions

Dxun

Reaction score
Well i have purchased ROM Manager Premium. I used it once yesterday to install a ROM. After install my phone went into a boot loop. SPRecovery has saved my butt in the past with no problems. Clockwork work the same way? It seems as if the only way to recover if using clockwork is if the phone actually boots. Please correct me if im wrong here.

Im all for trying something new when it comes out, but it seems as if SPRecovery is a more reliable source to get you out of a jam. Guess thats really my main concern for now if i keep clockwork flashed instead of SPR.

kaboyd

Reaction score
Well i have purchased ROM Manager Premium. I used it once yesterday to install a ROM. After install my phone went into a boot loop. SPRecovery has saved my butt in the past with no problems. Clockwork work the same way? It seems as if the only way to recover if using clockwork is if the phone actually boots. Please correct me if im wrong here.

Im all for trying something new when it comes out, but it seems as if SPRecovery is a more reliable source to get you out of a jam. Guess thats really my main concern for now if i keep clockwork flashed instead of SPR.
You have to understand that CWrecovery is not the Rom Manager. It works the same as SPrecovery. just a slight UI difference. You access it the same as any other recovery system through x+power. If you want the ROMs that are not listed on the RM app, then SPrecovery is still a good system, But if you want to play with the ROMs on RM, get to know Clockwork.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
After messing with it a little im starting to figure things out. Yes i understand it works the same way as SPR. I have a question though. When you boot to safe made, and attempt a restore, you have several options of which none are checked. So you have Restore boot, Restore system, Restore data, etc... In clockwork do you restore the 1's you want 1 at a time, or is there a way to select the 1's you want and do them all at once? SPR has the *'s you can add individually. I'm not seeing a way to check these off in Clockwork.

kaboyd

Reaction score
If you do an advanced restore like you're talking about, then you have to select one, install it, and return to select another. I do wish you could select the ones you want and install all at once, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's correct. You can boot into clockwork manually. If you don't have a backup for clockwork, you can go into its nandroid menu and perform a restore in much the same way you would with sp.

OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
Pretty much answers all my questions. I feel a lot better about leaving CW installed now.

Actually i do have 1 more question. I see the backups in Nandriod that i would normally use for SPR. Is there a seperate spot for the backups you make with CW?

Thanks for the responses =)

kaboyd

Reaction score
Your backups and downloads(ROM) will be in the clockwork folder on your sdcard Edit: NP. like jonny said. Don't hesitate to ask...

Last edited:
OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
2 more questions. Whenever i make a backup using RM. Towards the end i get a message "no sd-ext found skipping backup of sd-ext" is this normal? 3 out of 3 backups i have made using RM and it does the same thing.

Also whats the difference between restore and advanced restore? They both contain the same backups.

Thanks again ;)

Last edited:

kaboyd

Reaction score
I just tried a backup using RM and received the same error. My backup appears to be successful, but I haven't tried to restore it yet. I have always went straight to CWrecovery to do a backup and have never received that before. I'll do some research tomorrow to find out what that means.
The advanced restore allows you to restore parts of a backup, where just choosing restore will restore the entire backup. Hope that helps. I'll post back if / when I can answer the first question. If you do a backup from CW, you shouldn't see that though.