changing primary google account

moot

Reaction score
Is it possible to change my primary google account without doing a factory reset? I did a little searching, and it seems like I cannot. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JayMonster

Reaction score
You can (theoretically) change the primary account... but the "effect" of such will be the same as a factory reset. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications.

Menu>Options>All

Go to Gmail

Chose Clear Data

Reboot the Phone

You will now be able to log into the new account

You will lose basically everything... as far as applications, settings and such are concerned. (If you bought apps, the are tied to your ID, so you new ID will not have the rights to them). It is a little faster than doing a factory reset... but not much at all. (At least that is what worked on my G1. I did not do it with the Droid)

skiahh

Reaction score
Is it possible to change my primary google account without doing a factory reset? I did a little searching, and it seems like I cannot. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In a word, Nope.

OP
moot

moot

Reaction score
I see. Thank you for your response. That is very disappointing... GAH.

brucewagner

Reaction score
What if you HAVE bought apps?

I bought one app. Should I contact the developer and ask him if he can grant access (or change access) to my new account?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I bought one app. Should I contact the developer and ask him if he can grant access (or change access) to my new account?

How much was the app? Is that amount worth your time and effort?
That will answer that for ya.

Some Dev will help out, others not so much.

Davidd31415

Reaction score
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

Why couldn't I have read this post before I bought a DroidX?

Last edited:

Billw111

Reaction score
Solution to Changing Google Password / Account on Android phone

So after few months of cursing at G.... , this worked for me, perfectly

1) Go to, settings, account/sync, choose google, and uncheck all the items so google doesn't sync
2) go to settings, app, choose ALL tab, scroll to GMail and once opened click on CLEAR DATA. It will only remove your google association stuff and nothing else
3) click on FORCE STOP on the same screen
4) go back to settings, account/sync and choose google
5) now you should be able to click REMOVE ACCOUNT . If it doesn't, just reboot your phone and then remove the account.
6) reboot your phone, and then go to settings, account/sync and choose google. Put Nee info and your done!