Reseting Droid to switch google accounts

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Hi guys when I originally configured my droid I used my work E-mail as my main gmail account it's actually a GOOGLE APPS account so Google still allows me to use that instead of actually creating a gmail account. The problem is when I use the native gchat app it signs me in to the work chat, but i want to be able to sign in to my personal. I have both accounts setup and syncing.

Is there a way to switch primary accounts or do I need to do some sort of reset or wipe or what is involved? Also what if I have purchased apps from the Market place will I lose them because I'm changing primary accounts? Does market go base on your Primary account? or it doesn't matter as long as you have it setup as a secondary I will still be able to re-download my paid apps?

Sorry if this is confusing, i tried to describe it as best as i could. Thanks in advance.

kiddcreole

Reaction score
Just had to do this myself. When my Droid was first set up, the guy at the Verizon store asked me for my email account, but didn't say why. I used a Gmail account that I normally use for signing up for things (aka spam bucket). Didn't realize he was using that for my Droid/Gmail integration. I haven't really had a need to change that, since I was able to add additional accounts and sync with my phone for things like contacts and calendar.

With 2.1 coming out, I decided to go ahead and do this. The only way to change which account the Droid views as your primary is through a factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Data reset). Be sure to do all appropriate backups of your apps or anything else not stored on your SD card that you want to keep. (I didn't think about text messages, so lost all pictures, phone numbers, etc that I save via texts)

When your phone reboots, it will give you the option to sign-in using an existing Gmail account or create a new one. At this point, use whichever account that you want to be your primary on your Droid.

Side notes that I just discovered from this, regarding Market apps: If you use the same credit card number, any apps that were paid for should still be available under your "Downloads" section. I have only been using free apps so far, so the issue I am having is that none of my apps (backed up and restored using Astro) appear in the "Downloads" section of the Market. I suspect that will also mean that I won't get notification of any updates for those apps. It appears that I will have to reinstall each of the apps from the Market, which sucks, but I guess the price to pay to have my Droid set up the way it should be.

Probably not good news, but hopefully some of this will prove to be helpful for you.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Just had to do this myself. When my Droid was first set up, the guy at the Verizon store asked me for my email account, but didn't say why. I used a Gmail account that I normally use for signing up for things (aka spam bucket). Didn't realize he was using that for my Droid/Gmail integration. I haven't really had a need to change that, since I was able to add additional accounts and sync with my phone for things like contacts and calendar.

With 2.1 coming out, I decided to go ahead and do this. The only way to change which account the Droid views as your primary is through a factory reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Data reset). Be sure to do all appropriate backups of your apps or anything else not stored on your SD card that you want to keep. (I didn't think about text messages, so lost all pictures, phone numbers, etc that I save via texts)

When your phone reboots, it will give you the option to sign-in using an existing Gmail account or create a new one. At this point, use whichever account that you want to be your primary on your Droid.

Side notes that I just discovered from this, regarding Market apps: If you use the same credit card number, any apps that were paid for should still be available under your "Downloads" section. I have only been using free apps so far, so the issue I am having is that none of my apps (backed up and restored using Astro) appear in the "Downloads" section of the Market. I suspect that will also mean that I won't get notification of any updates for those apps. It appears that I will have to reinstall each of the apps from the Market, which sucks, but I guess the price to pay to have my Droid set up the way it should be.

Probably not good news, but hopefully some of this will prove to be helpful for you.

Thank you I will do that today.

mrdroid

Reaction score
You should be able to just go to Settings, Accounts & sync and remove the Gmail account. If memory serves, you'll need to add the new one before removing the old.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
You should be able to just go to Settings, Accounts & sync and remove the Gmail account. If memory serves, you'll need to add the new one before removing the old.

No i've tried that. You can remove extra google accounts, but the main one you originally used to setup your droid you cannot remove it unless you reset the phone. Any additional one you add after that you can.

Tac.css

Reaction score
If you are rooted, you can delete the accounts.db file in the /data/system folder, then when you reboot you will be prompted to login again, with a new account.

Last edited:
OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
If you are rooted, you can delete the accounts.db file in the /data folder, then when you reboot you will be prompted to login again, with a new account.

Yeah i have the OEM 2.1 and I am not rooted. I just resetted now I'm configuring my phone again. Have to download apps etc. It's all good. Contacs was my most important and I backed it up just in case. Thank you for the input, that's good to know for the future when I do end up rooting the official 2.1 to overclock to 2.1 ghz.

Kal

Reaction score
I was about to do the factory reset as suggested here, but found an easier way without having to lose all your apps/backup your contacts:

Settings>Apps>Manage apps>Google Apps>Clear data.

After that, Settings>Data Synchronization>Google and it asks you to sign in or create an account.

Worked quickly for me.

OP
movadoevo8

movadoevo8

Reaction score
I was about to do the factory reset as suggested here, but found an easier way without having to lose all your apps/backup your contacts:

After that, Settings>Data Synchronization>Google and it asks you to sign in or create an account.

Worked quickly for me.

OMG i WISH I KNEW that yesterday ROFL i would of not have to waste all that time re-downloading apps and reconfiguring it all over again, but it was worth it now my phone is the way i want it to be.

Wish I had known about this trick you just posted :)

lyricfrolic

Reaction score
in doing this, will it delete my contacts? If so, how do I make sure I back up my "people"?

grimloktt

Reaction score

Worked quickly for me.

So, by doing this you didn't loose your apps?

tbeaulieu

Reaction score
Sadly, this does not work for my X. In fact, there isn't even a "clear data" button for google apps.