Cell standby.....

arabstar1982

Reaction score
I am running on the battery saver mode, do not have wifi, gps, bluetooth on, and the phone screen is off a majority of the time. How much of the battery should cell standby use? The battery saver mode turns off data connections after 30 minutes, so shouldn't cell standby be very little of the battery consumption? My phone has been up for 42 minutes, battery is down to 90% and cell standby has consumed 50% of that, display consuming 40% and phone idle consuming 10%. currently... the longer I have the display on, the more its going to consume obviously. I am just curious as to if this is how it should be or not. To me, it doesn't seem like the data connections are turning themselves off as they should according to the battery saver mode, but maybe its just me. I am not complaining about the battery, as I got 18 hours plus yesterday out of it with moderate use with some heavy use and music playing throughout the day... Not bad at all to me on this phone (my replacement phone since my first DX wouldnt last 8 hours with no usage). Is there a good reliable, non juice consuming (or very little juice consuming) app that will tell you exactly what is using what out there? dancedroidThanks in advance for the help.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Go into airplane mode, The the cell standby will be zero....

But so will your service....

The phone needs to run....running takes power.

OP
A

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Go into airplane mode, The the cell standby will be zero....

But so will your service....

The phone needs to run....running takes power.

I understand that, and obviously I don't want cell standby zero or I would have turned airplane mode on... I was just curious as to whether cell standby should be that high in battery saver mode, or in general, if connections are supposed to be turned off after 30 minutes of non use. :) not complaining by any means, this is one helluva phone and letting android do its thing has definitely given me good battery power dancedroid

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Even in saver mode the cell standby will be there....I'm getting hours of good use with my X.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i feel like cell standby will be the same no matter what mode - its the min. power required to stay connected to the cell towers

OP
A

arabstar1982

Reaction score
Even in saver mode the cell standby will be there....I'm getting hours of good use with my X.

Ok, thanks. Yeah I get great battery with a good amount of usage and that is just awesome! I came to this phone from the Devour and that battery life sucked!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It does get even better over time...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was having this problem on the X too. Solution was to call *228 and choose option 2. If that fails call again and try option 1. Dramatic improvement for me.

Also, check out the link below. You can leave wifi on and use performance mode. You SHOULD be able to leave GPS on but there's a bug so turn it off when you are done using it...until the update.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

Last edited:

F14Ferrari

Reaction score
[QUOTE=arabstar1982. Not bad at all to me on this phone (my replacement phone since my first DX wouldnt last 8 hours with no usage).

My phone (DROID X) lasts only about 8 hours and that's with minimum use- a few phone calls, some text messages, that's it. I feel like it should last way longer. You had that problem with your first one and had to get a replacement? Also, this phone has already killed 2 batteries. They'd die and the phone wouldn't turn on at all. Did yours do that?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone (DROID X) lasts only about 8 hours and that's with minimum use- a few phone calls, some text messages, that's it. I feel like it should last way longer. You had that problem with your first one and had to get a replacement? Also, this phone has already killed 2 batteries. They'd die and the phone wouldn't turn on at all. Did yours do that?

There's a bug with the Droid X. See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...8-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered-11.html

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Plus you have to realize that 50 % of 42 min is not that much. On little use I almost made it to two days before I was down to 20 % and plugged it in. My cell standby is usually around 20 %. So I wouldn't be to concerned with cell standby being 50 % of your battery after only 42 min. Plus you have to know that 90 % is somewhere between 90-99. I leave GPS turned off all the time after learning of that problem they found about the GPS, see the post Aminaked put the link for. Also if you have Wifi at home you will use less battery power being connected to that than your phone trying to search and keep 3G signal.

F14Ferrari

Reaction score
I know there is a battery bug, I've read that whole thread, and I have tried everything mentioned on there but still only get 8 or so hours of life. And that's with light use. I see other people are getting a whole day if not more out of their battery even with good usage. So I was responding to arabstar1982 since it sounds like he replaced his first phone because the battery life was so bad. It's looking like I'm going to have to do the same.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know there is a battery bug, I've read that whole thread, and I have tried everything mentioned on there but still only get 8 or so hours of life. And that's with light use. I see other people are getting a whole day if not more out of their battery even with good usage. So I was responding to arabstar1982 since it sounds like he replaced his first phone because the battery life was so bad. It's looking like I'm going to have to do the same.

- uninstall task killers
- uninstall antivirus
- on droid x, turn off "Use network to find my location" or whatever it's called
- call *228 and update PRLs
- get rid of facebook contact sync as it is the problem for many people
- uninstall/delete unneeded apps/widgets/live wallpapers
- dial *#*#4636#*#* to figure out what's using the battery

F14Ferrari

Reaction score
I've done all that and nothing seems to help. I'll try calling the number there and see if that tells me what's using my battery so much. Thanks.